Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

So I thought I should update this....

I haven't done so well. But, on the other hand, I am kind of doing well.

This fricken habit is the hardest thing to break, hardest thing I've ever had to do. My breaking point was when I was at work and had to run that 1/2 mile that we tested for in the beginning, (which is why they test us), and I did NOT FEEL ANY BETTER! I was still gasping and ready to fall over after that little run. (And again, it was very cold out which did not help with the breathing even if I had never smoked a day in my life.) But I thought I was supposed to be able to breathe better...NO. It's not happening when I have to run.

I've read those websites...they say "x" happens 20 minutes after you quit, "x" happens a month after you quit, blah, blah, blah.

Um...yah...WHERE? Not here!

HOWEVER! I will say, when I started I was working 8.5 hours a day and there is no smoking allowed anywhere at work, not even in the parking lot in your own dang car. And I have actually gotten used to it. I do still think about smoking...usually about 2 hours before I'm going to be off from work but it's not every hour. Used to be I'd watch the clock for my next break so I could go have a smoke. Now I only think about it when it's close to quitting time.

I asked to be switched to 12 hour shifts, (financial reasons), and when I was asking, NOT ONCE did I think, "Oh man, I'm going to go 12 hours without a smoke!" It wasn't until many hours later, when I was driving home, having a smoke, that I realized, I did not think about how I would go that long without a cig. That's a first! So, there is SOME hope there that maybe I can eventually completely quit.

But no, I didn't do it this time.

I really want to get an e-cig. I've heard from so many people who say that it worked for them. Yes, I know, there is still nicotine in them but these same people say they don't feel the urge to keep puffing on that e-cig all day. That they would take a puff here or there and were fine and now don't even use the e-cigs anymore. They have completely quit because of those things.

I want to try those. In maybe a month, I might be able to afford one and we'll see if this time I can actually stop this.

I do have a love/hate relationship with cigs now...which is good..meaning, it's no longer, "I LOVE smoking!"

I do like smoking. I genuinely LIKE it. BUT, I do NOT like feeling like a damn slave to these things. "Oh, I have to get up and get smokes" even though I'm tired and don't want to get out of bed that day to deal with people. I just want to stay home but NO, there's that fricken addiction again, rearing it's ugly head...poking at me, every second of every minute of every hour...that whole thing about, "Oh just push yourself to three minutes when you feel a craving, it will go away after three minutes..." That one?

HORSE PUCKEY!

I don't want to do Chiantix because I don't like taking any kind of medication...I'm one of "those" people. I will take Ibuprofen if my neck and back are causing me pain, (from a car accident years ago) but even then, it has to be pretty bad pain before I'll succumb.

So...yah, I failed but not gloriously. My mind set IS changing, albeit extremely slowly.

Most importantly though, I have to find a way to do this where I'm not yelling at everything...and I mean, EVERY. Thing!

When I tried to quit in 2006, it made me feel really depressed. Couldn't stop crying. This time around? I was angry. Like angry for no good reason. Things just pissed me the hell off when they shouldn't have. Even when people said, "Oh good for you!" when I told them I quit...it pissed me off! I just wanted to yell at them to shut! UP!

So...we'll try this again in about a month when I can finally get an ecig. Oh, and a fan. My fan broke about a month ago, my white noise is gone, I hear EVERYTHING. My cats grooming themselves, a bug walking on the wall and it is maddening! I need that white noise to block things out and an ecig and just maybe then I can make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Before you get discouraged by the changes you've been told would happen, that didn't....keep this in mind.
Those are things that take place once you have stopped smoking.....something you haven't yet done.
Cutting done substantially is good but it's not getting it out of your system.
As far as your emotions and getting angry....you may be making it harder on yourself by putting yourself through lots of , let's call it, mini-withdrawals, rather than a 'final' one
But, it is easier to quit from, say, 6 a day than from 20 so don't give up.
In the same way that you can be more comfortable going many hours at work, you can get there when you're not .
That part is mental.....not physical.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Before you get discouraged by the changes you've been told would happen, that didn't....keep this in mind.
Those are things that take place once you have stopped smoking.....something you haven't yet done.
Cutting done substantially is good but it's not getting it out of your system.
As far as your emotions and getting angry....you may be making it harder on yourself by putting yourself through lots of , let's call it, mini-withdrawals, rather than a 'final' one
But, it is easier to quit from, say, 6 a day than from 20 so don't give up.
In the same way that you can be more comfortable going many hours at work, you can get there when you're not .
That part is mental.....not physical.
The physical part is pretty rough. I didn't have all the other things others go through, just the cravings and feeling irritated at the world. But I could not take one more butterscotch candy and my jaw was sore from chewing all that gum to the point of headaches.

The mental? Yah, that's the hard part. That is most definitely the hard part. In fact, I would say that is THE hardest part about quitting.

I want to find the right e-cig. I did buy one some time ago from the counter at Rite-Aid. Trust me, one should not just buy any random e-cig. That thing made me feel so sick from just one puff that I didn't use it past two times. In fact, I don't even know where it is now.

So I need to get a good one which, from my understanding, costs about the same as a carton of smokes. But I want this to work. I want to be able to stop buying smokes and stop thinking about smokes and stop having to go to the store when I don't want to go to the store. And stop wondering, (since I started this journey), just how badly do my clothes smell of smoke? Do I reek? How bad do others think I smell? There's other people who smoke and I can tell when someone just had one....and even now I think, "Dang, that stinks!" But they don't smell all the time, just after they had a smoke.

UGH, these things **** me off...why are they so enjoyable?!

Anyway, yah, mental part is the hardest for me.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Hearing your story kind of makes me understand better my BF's reluctance to quit. He only smokes about 5-6 a day, and has tried and failed a few times. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help him, but I know it has to be something that he wants to do and is willing to. (He has stated many times he needs to quit and wants to start exercising again.)

I guess because I am now fighting with my own health issues, I don't want to see him have to go through the same kind of things I have to with doctor visits, medications, etc.

Everyone has to quit in their own way, whether it's cold turkey, a gradual cut down, or with meds. I applaud you for at least recognizing where your weaknesses are and trying to work on them. Some people don't even get that far and stay permanently in denial.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
I'm a Respiratory Therapist, and would like to offer support to those quitting smoking. First, congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.

Second, almost all (if not all) states offer programs to assist in quitting smoking. Simply google your state name + quit smoking and you should be brought up to this.

Lastly for the OP, here's Maine's program: The Maine Tobacco HelpLine - Quit Support for Smokers - Partnership For A Tobacco-Free Maine

Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
My mother stopped smoking after being a chain smoker most of her life... but she did it for her own health , like many smokers and not for the passive smokers who had to put up with my mum. aunties and friends all in my house smoking while I tried to complain.. as I had two kids with asthma.. but I was laughed at and told to leave off and they were sick of non smokers on their back moaning constantly... My husband stopped about ten years ago.. as he smoked during the night and was burning the duvet constantly when he would fall asleep and I have allergies and would cough all night keeping me awake... I had never nagged about his smoking but enough was enough and I think he knew it...... he tried acupuncture first, which did work for a few weeks, but he started again , then he tried some new pills off the doctor that drove him mental.. it really did, so he stopped them after a week and never smoked again after that..... not only is my house fresh.. I dont have to worry about the house going up in flames. or the families health suffering anymore... and we can go holidays too now... so its been a blessing all round... good luck to anyone whos trying to stop...

Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I wondered how you were doing with this. If you're not smoking for 12 hours at work then that's something! You want to quit, you'll get there! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I tried cutting back many times but that just never worked for me.

I finally just had to rip off that band-aid and go cold turkey. It was hard but in many ways it was easier than trying to deal with "portion control" (cutting back). As long as you have nicotine coursing through your bloodstream you are going to get nasty cravings for cigarettes. Not what you want.

As it is, you don't smoke for 12 hours straight work, you don't smoke when you're asleep (lets say that's for 6 hours). So what's left is 6 lousy hours during the day that you have to get through without a cigarette.....

Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I think you are doing well. Look at this article on changing behavior
A 'Stages of Change' Approach to Helping Patients Change Behavior - March 1, 2000 - American Family Physician

You are past "pre contemplation". Look at "Motivational Interviewing", which discusses the stages of change.
Motivational Interviewing

This is the pathway to lasting change.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Look at it this way - for 3/4 of the day, you are a non-smoker already....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals