Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times

Advertisements

This is looking to be a pretty stagnant week (both for weight and bf%), but I wasn't as disciplined as usual. Had two cheat meals and I slacked a little bit in class from my knee/shoulder, plus did yoga on Saturday instead of BJJ. Knee and shoulder are both doing pretty well though, so I can put a good effort in on Wednesday and then do my best to keep up pace in Vegas. I'm on the fence about "keeping disciplined" vs. "all out food/alcohol bender". Obviously, we know what's better, but I've been so overdue for a vacation...the largest factor of which is "not having to think about anything", which includes eating properly.

The diet dilemma is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Week 7
213.6 lbs
23.6% body fat

This week: Down .6 lbs and .5% body fat
Total: Down 14.4 lbs and 4% body fat.

Maybe not as stagnant as I thought, though I really can't explain it. This was probably my least disciplined week since the one where I was out of town for 4 days and yet...here I am. Keeping up a pretty solid average too; roughly 2 pounds/week and a little over .5% body fat/week. Hard to believe I've been doing this for 7 weeks already. Food is still the hardest part; once I'm in a regular sport or exercise, it just falls into routine...but I've never been that way with food, or at least not totally.

I can live without soda or bread day-to-day, but when I have some, it's completely euphoric...and I think I'm starting to become reliant on things like sweet potatoes and legumes, which aren't IDEAL for what I'm trying to accomplish, but they beat the alternative. I know I need to be better about drinking water as well, but I'm definitely doing better than I was 7 weeks ago.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Had a sparring session today where most of the time was spent with my having my opponent in a near-chokehold, and somehow, I was the more exhausted one! If ever there was a sign that cardio was needed....

A coworker heard my sob story about my DIY protein bar disaster and tried it herself. Hers were way better. I also forgot that turkey bacon existed, which is good, because I was falling into a bit of a "taste" rut. You can only cook chicken and beef so many ways. So I bought some things this week that I haven't had since I've been on this diet: yogurt, turkey bacon, brussel sprouts, tomatoes. Just gotta work these things in to my meal plan.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:48 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
hive,,,thanks for sharing,,, real feedback,, gotta like it!!

one quick suggestion if i may

I keep "stretch bands" with me at all times

if I go out of town for work, I can still do many many resistant exercises with them-they are great!

and if im at work in the office, i'll take 5-10 minutes and do some stretch band curls/shoulder presses and chest restistants

youtube has plenty of videos of stretch band uses

they keep your metabolism up and fend off hard cravings while strengthening your muscles and hopefully burning fat

Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hive,,,thanks for sharing,,, real feedback,, gotta like it!!

one quick suggestion if i may

I keep "stretch bands" with me at all times

if I go out of town for work, I can still do many many resistant exercises with them-they are great!

and if im at work in the office, i'll take 5-10 minutes and do some stretch band curls/shoulder presses and chest restistants

youtube has plenty of videos of stretch band uses

they keep your metabolism up and fend off hard cravings while strengthening your muscles and hopefully burning fat
Glad you enjoyed it!

I've used stretch bands before, but haven't owned any in a long time. It should probably be on my list of purchases in the semi-near future.

I just got back from vacation, where I basically went on a food bender. Lots of dining out, a LOT of liquor. I'm gonna try and stay pretty focused this week, and then on Sunday I'll start my "new" measurements, specifically first thing in the morning.

I know it'll register higher body fat because a) I basically took 4 days off, and b) I'll be dehydrated in the morning, but it'll be easier to be consistent that way. And, the good news is, the number that shows up in the morning is pretty much the absolute worst number I can produce, so if THAT goes down, I know I'm making progress

Old 12-19-2014, 03:45 PM

I'm not optimistic about this week's results...I'm up a few pounds and a little body fat as well. Gonna try and eat extra healthy for the next few days and play catch up

I love Whole Foods. It's expensive, but there's lots of premade stuff I can eat: Today I took home their cranberry tuna (I really, really hope this isn't ruining me because I love it), edamame salad, kale salad, and a kind of crab/corn chowder. I know that last one isn't ideal, but it wasn't very creamy at all...almost like vegetable soup with crab.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Week 8(ish) weigh in:
212.4 pounds
25.1% body fat

Total: Down 15.6 pounds and 2.5% body fat.

This is consistent with how my measurements have gone early in the morning: at my lightest, and at my "fattest", due to being at my least hydrated right when I wake up. This is how I plan on weighing myself from here on out, since I think it's the best way to be consistent. I have no doubt that if I were to measure myself this afternoon, I'd come out 2% lower...but there you have it.

I've noticed something with my workouts as well. For right now, I can't handle any more INTENSITY in my workouts, but I'm recovering more quickly. Some of the guys at the studio will go to 2 or 3 classes in a row, but I am WIPED OUT after one. The next day, I'm feeling like I could go again (which wasn't the case until about a week ago). So I'm going to try and get some light cardio in on the days where I'm not at BJJ and see what kind of effect it has.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Aaaand I'm sick. Or at least on my way to being sick; trying to fight it off with vitamin C/Zinc/etc, but I'm not optimistic. I'll go to class today, but probably won't participate in the interest of courtesy to my classmates.

In the past, being sick has had a pretty profound effect on my weight, I tend to lose a lot of weight and muscle mass. If this comes to fruition, I'll expect to drop 2-5 pounds and probably stay the same bodyfat%, maybe even go up. Spending 4 days with family over Christmas as well, so maybe they'll balance each other out with all the food, who knows.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:33 AM

So I forgot to do an official weigh-in on Sunday, but I'd been hovering around 213 lbs and 25% body fat all week (in the morning), so basically a no-progress/no-loss week.

Missed my flight home for Christmas, so I just turtled up at home. Discipline was absolutely out the window, and I didn't go to class all week because I'm not a jerk and wasn't going to get everyone else sick.

Bought some pre-mixed marinades to try and make my salmon more palatable...I like it just fine, I'm just getting really sick of it. I'm so much worse at making healthy food than delicious, horrible-for-me food.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 AM

Son of a *****. I've done something to my ribs. Definitely not broken, but bruised or cracked is a possibility. It's the same ribs I broke in boxing, and I know all too well how long that takes to recover, which really bums me out as BJJ was really whipping me into shape.

I'm gonna try another session on Wednesday and take things lightly, but if they get worse or aggravated, it'll pretty much mean no BJJ for 4+ weeks, which will really put a dent in my progress. Back to jogging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals