Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:05 PM

776 posts, read 955,013 times

Advertisements

A research study released yesterday by the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Association.

Canadians who have CF live, on average, about ten tears longer than Americans with the same disease. In Canada the CF patient has a life expectancy of about 50 years, In the US that figure is 40 years.

Canadians who have CF also get lung transplants more often than CF patients in the US do .

Link to the news article.Cystic fibrosis patients living 10 years longer in Canada than U.S. - Health - CBC News

CF patients in Canada have been advised to eat a diet that is HIGH in fats and calories, for about 20 years now. That seems to be helpful.

Comments ?

Maple Guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
Very interesting article Maple Guy. Sad though, that money plays such a large part in all of this, notably State-side. And especially where children are concerned.

The diet part I also found intriguing. The Ketogenic diet is being tossed around a lot more lately here in the states,
but arguments against such high protein damaging the kidneys causes retort.

I'd like to see longer study periods on high fat diets, and how they affect the organs. (liver, kidney, etc.)
But it seems to be working for those with Cystic Fibrosis. Something definitely worth looking further into. Thank you for posting this information and link.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM

776 posts, read 955,013 times
You are most welcome.

Here is a link to a report prepared for the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation . The contributing investigators are respected researchers in nutrition associated with a number of Canadian Universities and leading Canadian hospitals.

The specific focus of the study is the use of a keto diet in persons with CF. I found it by goggling "keto diet in those with CF ".

link. http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/uploads..._E_lr-lite.pdf

I hope that you will find the study and the recommended practice of a keto diet to be of interest to you.

XXX.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Thanks for this as well. I lost a relative to CF and he was in his late 20's I believe. I sent the info to a friend who has a niece here who is early 30's I believe and it will be shared with family. Don't know if this work is here in U.S. But thanks.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
I'm not surprised that people in the US (with no med insurance) die faster...stands to reason I think.
In Canada the same opportunities to health care apply to everyone...be you poor or wealthy.

I would also add that the CBC is one of the most biased and corrupt broadcasting systems in Canada...completely government controlled, as the gov pays them billions to be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals