Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

I was watching HG tv and a couple was house hunting, they went to Frisco(?) or was it Prosper(?) I believe was the name.

They looked at several homes $500-$750K range. These were huge homes on huge lots.

I was blown away. $500K in Chicago WILL NOT include parking. That's just for a small condo.

The area was BEAUTIFUL.........

Do you guys have room for a nice city boy? I'll be on my best behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I saw that. They were in Prosper. If you live there and work anywhere near downtown or our "inner loop", looking at 2+ hours of total commute time a day.

Something IN Dallas on that kind of acreage (I think they wanted 1.5-2 acres) would run you $4-10M, and you'd have a much nicer house.

You DO get what you pay for- lots of land and a huge new home, but at the expense of location, commute (our light rail system doesn't go that far north so your only option is driving), quality of schools (newer district with no proven track record of test scores, college acceptance, etc), and distance from shopping/ entertainment/ restaurant/ cultural centers.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I saw that. They were in Prosper. If you live there and work anywhere near downtown or our "inner loop", looking at 2+ hours of total commute time a day.

Something IN Dallas on that kind of acreage (I think they wanted 1.5-2 acres) would run you $4-10M, and you'd have a much nicer house.

You DO get what you pay for- lots of land and a huge new home, but at the expense of location, commute (our light rail system doesn't go that far north so your only option is driving), quality of schools (newer district with no proven track record of test scores, college acceptance, etc), and distance from shopping/ entertainment/ restaurant/ cultural centers.
Good points all...also, aren't you closer to Oklahoma than to Dallas up in Prosper?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

So Prosper is far North?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Frisco isnt that far from Dallas. I live off the tollway near George Bush and I make it to downtown in about 18 minutes at 6:30am. Frisco is only another 10 minutes up the tollway.

If you have $500k to spend on a home you can still get something really nice a lot closer than Frisco. You may not get 2 acres but really who needs that much land anyway.

And Im sure most the people that live way up in the northern burbs probably work somewhere up there. There are lots of huge companies in the northern parts of DFW.

Quote:
Good points all...also, aren't you closer to Oklahoma than to Dallas up in Prosper?
No

Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Frisco isnt that far from Dallas. I live off the tollway near George Bush and I make it to downtown in about 18 minutes at 6:30am. Frisco is only another 10 minutes up the tollway.

If you have $500k to spend on a home you can still get something really nice a lot closer than Frisco. You may not get 2 acres but really who needs that much land anyway.

And Im sure most the people that live way up in the northern burbs probably work somewhere up there. There are lots of huge companies in the northern parts of DFW.

No
What areas are closer than Frisco......nice areas?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What areas are closer than Frisco......nice areas?
Plano, Allen, Flower Mound, Rockwall, Grapevine, Carollton, Lewisville, Garland, Richardson, Farmers Branch, Addison, Irving.

If your moving here it really depends on where you plan on working though. One you figure out where your going to work then you figure out where your going to live. Not everyone works in downtown Dallas.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was blown away. $500K in Chicago WILL NOT include parking. That's just for a small condo.
Well $500k buys you a small condo WITH parking in Dallas. The parking is the difference...

How much does $500k buy in Dixon, IL (randomly picked town in BFE Chicago vicinity)?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Well $500k buys you a small condo WITH parking in Dallas. The parking is the difference...

How much does $500k buy in Dixon, IL (randomly picked town in BFE Chicago vicinity)?
Even the suburbs of chicago are very expensive. 20-30 miles outside of the city in Chicago is probably twice as much for the same home as in Dallas. Same goes for most big cities. Dallas is super cheap compared to most of the other large cities in the country.

And a $500k condo near downtown Dallas wont be small. Unless you consider 2500sf small.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Even the suburbs of chicago are very expensive. 20-30 miles outside of the city in Chicago is probably twice as much for the same home as in Dallas. Same goes for most big cities. Dallas is super cheap compared to most of the other large cities in the country.

And a $500k condo near downtown Dallas wont be small. Unless you consider 2500sf small.
2500sf is a nice size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas