U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 PM

4,305 posts, read 11,129,515 times

Advertisements

I use to be a teacher and I can promise you they don't get paid what most of them are worth. I agree that the union keeps many bad teachers on the payroll but many forget a teacher has to have a degree and most cases a higher GPA than most other degree programs. A another thing people never realize is that a teacher goes into the profession knowing they will never ever make 60k+ plus a year. I got out because of the crap you have to deal with. Most who say they make to much really have no clue. Try it for 2 weeks and get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:05 PM

1,005 posts, read 3,308,501 times
That pay is only "great" if you manage to slack off as a teacher.

If you are actually a teacher with integrity and passion, the pay is an insult.
I can't imagine dealing with spoiled princes(ses), their parents and the principal for a teachers salary. $200k/year, maybe. Nah. I'd rather have a corporate job. Much less hassle (and work).

Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM

669 posts, read 1,339,511 times
If you are a really good teacher, then you don't really care about pay all that much. I stay after school every day for some kind of club/activity or tutoring and get no pay for it. I could easily leave after school and go home. I don't because I love doing those activities. I don't complain about not getting paid for it. If money is an issue then don't become a teacher. Do something else.

I think teaching is a good deal. You get to be your own boss, do what you want each day and don't have to work with adults. I don't have to deal with social drama and climbing corporate ladders. If you like the things you teach, then coming up with interesting lessons is actually enjoyable. Grading papers never is enjoyable, but if you do a little bit each day then it really isn't that much work.

If you want teachers to get paid 100k or 200k, then how are we going to pay for that? Raise property taxes to unbelievable limits? I mean I love teaching and everything, but really I'm teaching kids to add some fractions, I'm not doing brain surgery here. If I wanted 200k per year then I would have become a doctor.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think teaching is a good deal. You get to be your own boss, do what you want each day and don't have to work with adults. I don't have to deal with social drama and climbing corporate ladders. If you like the things you teach, then coming up with interesting lessons is actually enjoyable. Grading papers never is enjoyable, but if you do a little bit each day then it really isn't that much work.
What grades do you teach and is it a public school?

My dad was a public school teacher grade 9 to 12. He was totally burned out after 20 years dealing with adolescents (and their parents) who don't really want to learn but just somehow graduate. You can be the best teacher in the world (my dad was average) but if you don't have motivated students or worse, sabotaging students, your teaching job can turn into a nightmare.
There was this clique-ish teachers "society" where they all knew each other and from what I remember, burn-out was ubiquitous.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,066,790 times
OK. Can't resist this one. Unless you are one of the rare uneducable students ( they do exist) your English teacher was overpaid! An apostrophe (') is only ever used to indicate possession ( the boy's dog) or to indicate contraction (cannot to can't), never to make the plural (one teacher, many teachers). Grammar and spelling are how you make your first impression in writing. When I see a post using "teacher's" as the plural of teacher instead of "teachers," I assume you are careless, an idiot, poorly educated, or all the above. See teaching is a habit, sometimes an annoying one. Good teachers from kindergarten through K1-12 to college and graduate education are grossly underpaid, because actual classroom hours represent a fraction of what they actually do!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
OK. Can't resist this one. Unless you are one of the rare uneducable students ( they do exist) your English teacher was overpaid! An apostrophe (') is only ever used to indicate possession ( the boy's dog) or to indicate contraction (cannot to can't), never to make the plural (one teacher, many teachers). Grammar and spelling are how you make your first impression in writing. When I see a post using "teacher's" as the plural of teacher instead of "teachers," I assume you are careless, an idiot, poorly educated, or all the above. See teaching is a habit, sometimes an annoying one. Good teachers from kindergarten through K1-12 to college and graduate education are grossly underpaid, because actual classroom hours represent a fraction of what they actually do!
Es ist immer lustig, wenn ein Trottel im Internet einen kleinen Grammatikfehler als Hinweis mangelnder Intelligenz versteht.

Especially because the righteous complaint always contains one or more grammatical error(s) (usually at the juiciest part LOL):

Quote:
OK. Can't resist this one.
"Can't resist this one." This sentence is missing a subject and is therefore incomplete and grammatically incorrect.

Quote:
I assume you are careless, an idiot, poorly educated, or all the above.
You may want to remove the last comma and change the last option to "or all OF the above".

Last edited by galore; 06-12-2010 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 05:43 AM

2,395 posts, read 7,609,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
If you are a really good teacher, then you don't really care about pay all that much. I stay after school every day for some kind of club/activity or tutoring and get no pay for it. I could easily leave after school and go home. I don't because I love doing those activities. I don't complain about not getting paid for it. If money is an issue then don't become a teacher. Do something else.

If you want teachers to get paid 100k or 200k, then how are we going to pay for that? Raise property taxes to unbelievable limits? I mean I love teaching and everything, but really I'm teaching kids to add some fractions, I'm not doing brain surgery here. If I wanted 200k per year then I would have become a doctor.
So you're only a good teacher if you don't care about the money and do it because you love it? This is a load of crap. Just because you love your job and would do it for free doesn't mean that only the good teachers feel that way. And since when does a teacher not have a boss? What's the principal? I think you're being a little unrealistic. You can love what you do - but it's a stretch to infer that is the only thing that makes a good teacher.

Listen, my dad is a retired teacher. He was an excellent teacher. He had tons of former students that had kids that requested he be their child's teacher. That's how I know he was an excellent teacher. He didn't do it because he loved his job - sure, he did like teaching, but he did it to put food on the table, to put a roof over our head and to put his kids through college. He also had bosses - the principal and the district superintendent.

I love what I do for a living - and I put in a lot of long hours, partly because of it. But if they paid me what a teacher's salary - trust me, I wouldn't work as hard or as long as I do even though I really enjoy what I do.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM

27,535 posts, read 44,987,445 times
We do have professional development, but so do many other jobs. A normal school day is 7 hours, including a 30 minute lunch and a 45 minute conference period. I don't know many teachers that use an extra hour every day, M-F, grading papers. Most cut out around 4 or earlier.

BS...
most other professions that require employees to take professional development hours/course HAVE to pay/reward the employees--teachers don't...
the idea that teachers cut out early and have a cushy working life is just bogus...someone who wants to rile the waters....MOST competent teachers who do a GOOD job are working before/after school tutoring, planning, grading, returning to school to watch sports or other student participation programs like concerts, plays...
the teachers I know who DO cut out early and work only the "assigned" hours are usually pretty poor examples of teachers...they are not there when their students need extra help and those kids usually wind up going down the hall looking for someone who came in early or is staying late...
my daughter teachers and my son used to and I taught...
a good teacher NEVER packs into working hours all the work that needs to be done...saying it came be done just means someone is putting out less than the best work effort...

Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 AM

5,199 posts, read 11,348,516 times
I would think the competent teachers are not that worried about salary. They care about children and want to see them educated. They know they have one of the most important jobs in the world. Of course, I realize so many humans are so money hungry; they fuss and moan about how much they're worth and how underpaid they are. I also know those in education who do as little as they can and still collect salaries while griping about how little they make. One needs to move on if one doesn't like the pay. Sometimes I just don't get the work ethics of people today. It's often quite pathetic.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 AM

5,199 posts, read 11,348,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Es ist immer lustig, wenn ein Trottel im Internet einen kleinen Grammatikfehler als Hinweis mangelnder Intelligenz versteht.

Especially because the righteous complaint always contains one or more grammatical error(s) (usually at the juiciest part LOL):

"Can't resist this one." This sentence is missing a subject and is therefore incomplete and grammatically incorrect.

You may want to remove the last comma and change the last option to "or all OF the above".
Unfortunately, even teachers and administrators do not have the knowledge of proper grammar usage. When my daughter was in the 9th grade, she and several of the other "smart" girls in the class were always correcting their English teacher. Oh my gosh! It's hard to believe the way "the educated" write. I cringe daily when I read email, et al from those in the school system. I'm embarrassed for them, but they haven't a clue. If one doesn't learn proper grammar in his or her younger years, a college education doesn't seem to matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or