U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:41 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times

Advertisements

If you can use the DART rail system you could maybe live with one car; great savings even with the cost of the rail ticket. Just know that walking 1/2 mile in our heat can be tough on your show up to work appearance! So if you really have to walk outside for 1/2 mile, you'll need a strategy for dealing with the heat (I dunno, cool neck wrap and u brealla?) about 3 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 AM

16 posts, read 20,351 times
Thanks again all for the advice! I had just one more question....during my search I came across a complex called FOX HILLS which is in Lake Highlands on Ferndale, it has access to Richardson schools, would that be a viable option to add to my list? Is that a safe area?

There's no ratings on it on the normal apartment review sites I've looked at.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 46,048 times
That's not a bad area. I'm acutally renting a house near there. Pretty close to White Rock Lake, DART rail lines. They tore down some bad apts near there and have put in apartments for retired seniors. You can walk to Tony's which has the best Italian Food in Dallas. If you have kids you can't go wrong with Lake Highlands elementary.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,798,822 times
Unfortunately some in Lake Highlands disparage "apartment kids" - there are some pretty massive complexes and apparently they see them as a large source of low-income and minority kids who are very mobile and bring down test scores. Not saying that your kids would be labled as such but be aware of the situation.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 20,351 times
Yeah, I hear what you're saying but my son is 1 1/2 right now so school is not something we're thinking about right now (don't get me wrong, it will be important). I'm just looking for a place to stay for about a year to a year and a half while we save some cash. But there are a couple of decent apartments (I hope) over in the Richardson area that look promising.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM

66 posts, read 205,295 times
I have lived in Grapevine for the past year and LOVE it. I would agree with the other posters on this thread that it is very beneficial to either live close to your job (5-10 miles) or be driving against the grain of traffic (away from town in the morning and towards in the evening). Grapevine is a wonderful area with a historic downtown and great shopping areas next door in Southlake. If your job is in the Richardson area however I know there are some nice places around Renner Rd. and Campbell (Near Firewheel area). Look in the Firewheel area, it is kinda out there but still reasonably close and from what I understand it is an up and coming. I would probably stay out of downtown Garland though.
I am moving to Coppell in a couple of months and got a 2brm for about $1200/mo. I would agree that apartmentratings.com is a good place to reference but remember that everyone's mileage may very and that people are more inclined to complain about something in a public forum then to compliment it so take some of it with a grain of salt.
I have found hotpads.com particularly helpful. A lot of the places recommended on those types of apartment finding sites have paid to be there and sometimes are not that great so that's where the ratings thing comes in. The place we found in Coppell is not on the apartment search sites but was a very highly rated one on apartmentratings.com.

Let us know if you need anything else and hope this helps!
BigCanada

Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
fav

9 posts, read 11,093 times
Not to hijack, but I have found this thread to be helpful, especially the hotpads link. Apartmentratings.com can be really unreliable.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM

66 posts, read 205,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fav View Post
Not to hijack, but I have found this thread to be helpful, especially the hotpads link. Apartmentratings.com can be really unreliable.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear it! Don't forget to rate/rep the posts that you find helpful!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 37,450 times
If you can swing a roommate, the Belmont Apartments in Knox-Henderson is great. If you do get a roommate, I can get you $500 cash reward.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times
errr.....the OP has a family, doesn't need a roommate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or