U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM

16 posts, read 20,353 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Just to give a little bit of background: Iím originally from NY, moved to Georgia about five years ago, Iíve been pretty miserable ever since (with some bright spots, don't get me wrong). However, I am married, my wife does not work and we have a one year old son.

So, essentially, Iím looking at the possibility of moving to Dallas as I can get easily get transferred to that area from my job.

The issue that I am concerned about is the fact that we cannot afford a house at this point and since we are currently a one income household, I was hoping to find an affordable, two bedroom apartment (relatively spacious, if possible), in a safe neighborhood.

Granted, safe is a relative term, but Iím thinking of areas that would good for raising a family where there are affordable apartments and nice neighborhoods.

Looking on rent.com and apartmentguide.com etc, is all well and good, but I donít know which apartment complexes are good and which are less than reputable, shall we say?Ö.or even what areas to look for. FYIÖIím hoping for maybe a rural setting but am open for any suggestions for areas or apt complexes....

Alot of the places I've read about seem to be out of my price range currently, but I am basing the numbers off of my current salary (since I'm not certain what effect working in Dallas will have at this point $$$ wise). I'm looking at no more than $750.00 per month for rent...I think I might be reaching, but hey, you don't know if you don't ask, right?

I apologize if I'm rambling and I hope Iím making sense. I certainly appreciate any help you guys could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM

308 posts, read 908,622 times
What part of town are you looking at?

I live in North Dallas and rent for 2 bedrooms in my complex runs from $700-$763.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks for responding and I'll look into that area.

But I'm not necessarily looking at any part of town at this point. I guess I just want an idea of where to look, be it in the city or some of the suburb areas. I just think I need a push in the right direction since I know practically nothing about the different areas of Dallas.

I'm just looking to find out where one can get an affordable 2 BR apartment in a safe neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM

236 posts, read 477,347 times
JustCurious0223, Take a look at this link Texas apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com. This is a apartment ratings site. Stay away from South Oakcliff. Do some online research then go visit the State of Texas. Maybe ask information from people who have moved to Texas or left Texas from whatever reason.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM

308 posts, read 908,622 times
I live right off the Tollway @ Trinity Mills. Which is also close to I-635, and George Bush Turnpike.

I have no idea how the schools are like up here though.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM

613 posts, read 872,444 times
Im moving to dallas from boston I leave next week. Some good advice live as close to ur job as possible traffic is so bad especially during rush hour. A drive that would normally be 20 min can turn into 2 hours. Try to look any where North of dallas Ive been told thats where the best areas are. Dallas is pretty big so the closer you are to your job the better.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking over apartment ratings right now, I'm unsure of the neighborhoods and some of these reviews are three years old. I'll try to look over some of these threads....can anyone recommend a good one for me that might have location info? I'd like to look at multiple areas, if possible.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM

P.S. Steve, good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious0223 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking over apartment ratings right now, I'm unsure of the neighborhoods and some of these reviews are three years old. I'll try to look over some of these threads....can anyone recommend a good one for me that might have location info? I'd like to look at multiple areas, if possible.
Places I heard that are good (check spelling) are plano, mckinney(far north) coppell, Downtown/uptown but thats close to the city. I found an apartment in the villiage but I was told its mostly a younger crowd. Im 28 and single and I think you said you were married with a kid but I got a 1bd for 490. I mean if you can deal with a younger crowd just to see if you like dallas Id say move there. I mean if it sucks move back home if you like it then try and buy a house that way you dont pi$$ away alot of money on renting.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 AM

P.S. just type in moving to dallas u'll find alot of threads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or