U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM

59 posts, read 162,788 times

Advertisements

I moved to Dallas last year for a new job opportunity and recently my 28 year old son has joined me. He is single (was divorced a few years ago) and I would love to get some names of churches in the Dallas metroplex that he may feel comfortable going to. This is what he is looking for:

small church (must be under 1,000 membership, less is even better)
younger congregation
preferably a nondemoninational Christian church
genuine, nonjudgemental
moderate (not liberal or conservative)

We are currently living in North Dallas, but willing to travel to nearby suburbs if necessary. It can get lonely here without knowing anyone in his age group and since church was such a big part of his life before this, we thought that would be an ideal place to start building friendships in the Dallas area. Since there are so many churches in Dallas he feels the best way to find something he is looking for is by recommendations rather than blindly trying different ones. I am also praying that he will find a church that will meet his needs and he would feel comfortable going to.

We will appreciate your help and be greatful for any suggestions. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,319,343 times
There isn't a congregation full of young people. Church is for people over 40. He will not find friends through church.

He can find friends through work, school, nightclubs, and so forth .

Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
There isn't a congregation full of young people. Church is for people over 40. He will not find friends through church.

This is complete bull-you-know-what!!!

I can't think of a church that meets all of his requirements, but here is a list of wonderful Bible-teaching churches with tons (hundreds!!) of singles in their 20's and 30's that will offer Bible study, social, volunteer, etc for your son:

Watermark
Fellowship (one in Grapevine, one in downtown Dallas)
Park Cities Presbyterian Church
Uptown service at Church of the Incarnation
Cornerstone service at Highland Park Methodist
Prestonwood in Plano
Northwest Bible
Park Cities Baptist

I encourage him to take the time to visit all of these at least 2-3 times. Some are big and may seem overwhelming at first, but they are all wonderful Christian communities.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM

2,119 posts, read 5,489,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Old people go because they know they dont have much time left. I go to "church". My church is on the lake fishing or watching football

Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 PM

554 posts, read 990,240 times
Prestoncrest Church of Christ. Non-Denominational. New-Testament emphasis. Small-group bible study. Moderate. Yes, attendance is 1,400 however, there are two services with around 700 in each. Majority of the older to old people (age 50- aged) attending at 8:00am. Majority of the younger and young people (age 20-age 49) attending 10:45am. Singles group (ages 20-35) all attend second service and most get together and go to lunch after church, parks nearby for sports/rec., Galleria or Northpark, sports venues. Singles group is also somewhat involved with the Young Families group (ages 25-40).

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CBQQnwIwAA
http://www.prestoncrest.org/
Singles Website:
http://www.prestoncrestsingles.com/

Last edited by TowerGuy; 06-11-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,488,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Watermark
Fellowship (one in Grapevine, one in downtown Dallas)
Park Cities Presbyterian Church
Uptown service at Church of the Incarnation
Cornerstone service at Highland Park Methodist
Prestonwood in Plano
Northwest Bible
Park Cities Baptist
FYI Fellowship and Prestonwood are HUGE churches. I don't know about the rest of them.

I go to Fellowship Church though, and it's awesome. Fellowship has locations in Fort Worth, downtown Dallas, Grapevine, and Plano. I go to the Plano location. I'm 29 and single by the way.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
I would definitely check out Church of the Incarnation (Episcopal). The main reason I ended up here was simply because I had rarely seen people who seem to be more interested in making sure the community around us is cared for, than whether or not one went drinking on a Sat. night. Their priorities seem to be straight.

I would definitely check out the "Uptown Service". It's in "Memorial Chapel" on Sundays at 11:15am & 6pm. It's a liturgical service with kind of a jazzy-rock bent to the music. Welcome to The Uptown Church or Church of the Incarnation.

Also on Monday nights in June (2 of them left) we're having a lecture series at the Ginger Man Pub. Next monday night is a talk and Q&A on "Christians & Islam". The speaker is Carrie Boren -- she graduate from Yale, Oxford AND Harvard. She was also in "the Pelican Brief" with Julia Roberts...

That lecture series is called "Theology Live: Ale & the Almighty" and is 7pm-9pm at the Ginger Man. Happens every June. Hope to see you there!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,709,590 times
Fellowship Church would probably fit for him minus the fact that it is rather large and has several campuses. It's a great church and A LOT of young people attend the downtown Dallas campus. I have been to the Grapevine campus and it seems that more families go there. I have not been to the other ones. The downtown Dallas campus does seem to be the smallest though, and they have two service times on Sundays. They also have a lot going on, and I believe have a singles group as well.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM

146 posts, read 357,402 times
I would suggest Fellowship Bible Church Dallas, near NorthPark. It's not affiliated with the Grapevine and downtown locations. I believe it's the oldest FBC in the area, started by Dr. Gene Getz. Most of the other FBC's spawned from that one, I think. Anyway, FBCD has a Metro service for folks in your son's peer group. There are LOTS of 20-30 somethings there, in general, but Metro service is designed specifically with the younger set in mind. Fellowship Metro

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,136,924 times
You could check out the Village church in Dallas; It's a church plant from the Village in Corinth. Also check out First Baptist Dallas which is in the heart of downtown. Both really good fellowships!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas