U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 PM

79 posts, read 155,490 times

Advertisements

Did you have an internship any place? If the question to that is no then it will be hard to find any IT jobs any where. Your best bet is to work as a contractor and work any place in the country for a few years. It is a great way to see the country and get experience. You will get lots of offers from NY or LA but remember always look at the cost of living. And do not be afraid to ask if they can provide an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 11,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I agree w/ the other poster that the outlook is bleak. I was in IT as well, lost my job almost a year ago, and even with six years of experience I was not able to find another one. There are a lot of people looking. IT is a hard field to break into. A BA position is really hard. I fell into the IT field after college, by accident. I'm getting out of it and changing careers (I didn't want to be in it anyway), and hope to have a job soon.
That's awful! But you shouldn't give up. Six years of experience is your huge advantage. I can not imagine you did not find a job in the last year. You might ask some recruiting person to look at your resume. As normal person, we are not given opportunity, but we fight for it. Don't give up!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM

563 posts, read 1,489,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liancheng View Post
That's awful! But you shouldn't give up. Six years of experience is your huge advantage. I can not imagine you did not find a job in the last year. You might ask some recruiting person to look at your resume. As normal person, we are not given opportunity, but we fight for it. Don't give up!
I was a tech writer...my resume is fine, and I've had it looked at several times. I've had recruiters and executives look at it, friends too. I've also re-done it several times and tailored it to jobs. The jobs just aren't there, period. But it's ok, I didn't want to do that anyway. I never liked IT. I have an English degree.

Right now I'm studying to be a bilingual elementary teacher and I'm thrilled with the change! I'm very glad I wasn't able to find a job, because I'm doing some student teaching now and I know this is where I was meant to be all along. I should hopefully find a job within the next month. I've made a ton of contacts and good impressions, and I think it's likely I may have an offer in the next 8-10 days from what people are telling me. YAY for me!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM

6,165 posts, read 9,457,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liancheng View Post
Yes, you are right. I had five interviews but none of them offered me a job. I just don't understand how to shine in an interview. You are interviewing people. What do you think the most important part in an interview? Any suggestions?
I saw in your later post that you're looking for a BA/SA job. My experience is all in architecture, design, and development, so that's the angle I'm coming from.

The biggest issue I've seen so far is people who misrepresent their skillset. They'll tell you they're at one level and when you start asking them technical questions you find out that they're at a much lower level.

Now I realize that this can be totally subjective, but someone who says they're a 7 or 8 out of 10 on .Net development should know why using the StringBuilder class is advantageous to the string primitive type when it comes to concatenation. IMHO a junior-to-mid-level developer should know the answer to that.

We've also had folks that claim they're just under DBA-level who can't tell you what the difference is between clustered and non-clustered indices.

Another bit of advice - it's one thing to be able to regurgitate generic responses to common interview questions. Knowing the answer AND understanding why they are what they are is supremely helpful.

Good communication and problem solving skills are essential, too. The cliché "thinking outside the box" applies.

My personal opinion about the IT field is that the more specialized your skillset, the less likely you are to be replaced. You have to be flexible and able to adapt to the market, though. What's hot today could be passé 3 years from now.

In general, unless you're upper-level management, the further you are from the code (or the hardware), the more likely you are to be downsized.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM

563 posts, read 1,489,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
My personal opinion about the IT field is that the more specialized your skillset, the less likely you are to be replaced. You have to be flexible and able to adapt to the market, though. What's hot today could be passé 3 years from now.

In general, unless you're upper-level management, the further you are from the code (or the hardware), the more likely you are to be downsized.
I think this is absolutely true and a really good observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or