U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are recently married. We'd like to get a house but we're having a hard time finding one within our price range. We looked at one a while back that looked really nice from the pictures online. Then when we got inside... disaster. There were a few mold spots in the ceiling. The roof would've needed to be replaced because it leaked and there was black mold! There were holes in the floor. What a nightmare that was.

We have no problem getting a home that needs a little fixing up. My husband has done just about any kind of job you can imagine. He's been a carpenter, electrician, handy-man, etc.

We would like to have a brick home that is near our parents. Somewhere in Red Oak, Ferris, Bristol or Wilmer would be nice (Ellis County). We'd prefer to stay away from Dallas county because the taxes seem higher there than Ellis.

We've tried looking online but a lot of places we've seen aren't listed online.

If anyone knows of any houses for sale near us please let us know. We'd appreciate any help we can get.

Thank you,

Misty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM

864 posts, read 2,264,100 times
What is your price range? That would help us in helping you find good homes where you want to live.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM

1,491 posts, read 4,546,694 times
Your best bet is to find a realtor in that area, one who knows that area - they can save you a lot of wasted time and disappointments. They can do computer searches for you tha will target only houses in your area and price range.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM

27,456 posts, read 44,959,956 times
if your parents live in that area--get them and their friends to be on the lookout for you
homes in more rural areas might be listed for sale by owner with just sign in front yard
get them to tell you if they see anything driving in the area
you won't know until you go and see it if it is worth your while in a case like that
you just have to invest the time
but that also gives you an idea of what the market is like in your area
your money might not buy you a house with having
have you considered buying some land and have a nice double wide home put on it
some double wides are being built super energy efficient--much better than an older, smaller home in bad condition would be...and chances are your taxes would be less as well...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,603 times
pappy97 - Our price range is about 60,000 - 90,000.

GayleTX - We've tried three different realtors, but we've been having extremely bad luck with them. The first we had never called us back. The second showed us one house and then wouldn't talk to us. The third showed us a house and stays in contact with us. However he lives a distance away and isn't very familiar with this part of Texas. Yet he has listed that his area of business is around here. We've had extremely bad luck with realtors. If you know of any that are in the Red Oak area that would be great!

loves2read - My parents don't do a lot driving around new areas. All the areas they normally go to are the same as the ones my husband and I go to. But of course my husband and I go to a lot of different areas as well though. We've drove past a few houses we like that are for sale but there's always something wrong with the house. We've thought of getting a double wide a few times. But we'd both rather have a brick house. We'd really like to get a nice family home where we can at the very least stay a few years and start a family. Chances are the house we buy we will stay in for the rest of our lives. So we'd like to get a nice house. We don't even mind if we need to fix it up some. It's part of the fun of buying a house, fixing it up and making it your own.

Thank you all in advance. My husband and I appreciate it very much.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,161,347 times
It is a tough market for your price range. The key is the type of financing that you are doing. If it is FHA or VA, they will require that the home be in livable and good condition. Even though you don't mind doing some repairs, they will require that the work be done before you close on the home.

I just did a quick search for Ellis county for a 3/2 brick home and found 37. Half of them don't have pictures and have been on the market for months, then there are a lot of them that need foundation work, a few HUD homes and a couple of those don't look too bad, but again, pictures don't tell the whole story until you see it.

Don't give up, I'm sure that you will find the perfect fit.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or