U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,817 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I've lived in the Massachusetts area from 5 years and have now decided to move to Texas. I've been looking for work in the DFW area but it has been hard since I am out of state, so I've decided to make the move in August with or without a job. I plan to rent an apartment for 6 mos. and hope that I would find work in that period of time. My plan is to pay the 6 mos. rent in advance. My question is what area and what apartment complexes are safe place for a single female?

I've looked at areas on rent.com: Westdale Hills - Euless, Stonehill Terrace- Irving, Marabella at Las Colinas- Irving, Parc Plaza-Euless.

I just want a 1 bedroom apt, not sure where I would be working so commute I'm flexible on. I've some forums that say that Irving is going downhill? I hope that not the case, I visited there in 2008 and it looked nice too me but please do enlighten me. While I was visiting I also checked out the area in Grapeville and the surrounding areas.

I would be on a type budget so if you guys can give me some good recommendations, I would greatly appreciated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,711,619 times
Is there a specific area you're looking to work in? If so, I'd look to live in the area you want to work in or at least close to it. Euless is nice, it's not great, I use to live there and there are decently priced apartments in the Bear Creek area. They are older, but the older the apartments the more affordable they are. Grapevine is getting a little more expensive, at least when I looked there it was, as well as Las Colinas. If you were to live in Irving, I would look in the Valley Ranch/Las Colinas area instead of Irving proper.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM

563 posts, read 1,489,031 times
Just FYI I moved back here with no job, after having to leave Dallas and move to Houston when I lost my job. I decided to come back and take my chances with what I had in savings.

I had to have a cosigner, I had a really hard time finding a safe place to live that would rent to me. Nobody would accept full payment up front. I have no idea why. And very few places would even accept a cosigner. It's really frustrating. So I might suggest you contact an apartment locator in the Dallas area and ask him/her to guide you to complexes that might rent to you under your terms. I had to have my locator find me the complexes that would rent to me with a cosigner. There weren't many. DM me if you want the company name, I really liked them and they are free to use.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM

I've lived in several apartments and had a co-signer. Never had problems with finding one that would allow a co-signer, it was just a problem with getting all of the correct paperwork done to get it approved.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

4,305 posts, read 11,132,138 times
What type of work are you looking for. If I were in your shoes I would move to The Village. There is a good chance you will find employment Downtown or in the Northern burbs. Living in this central location would be you pretty close to everything.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:35 PM

66 posts, read 205,295 times
If you do not know where you will get a job, Grapevine is a great area to live! Central to everything (20-30 minutes to both downtowns), historic downtown, very nice shopping areas in Southlake, lots of places to eat, and access to 121, 114, and 360.
I recommend apartment complexes like Colonial Village at Grapevine (2300 Grayson Dr., Grapevine, TX), St. Moritz (Grayson Dr.), Lincoln Vineyards (Hall-Johnson Rd), or if you are looking for something further north - Mustang Ridge, Verde Riverwalk, Cross Creek, Terrawood (new build), Marquis at Silver Oak - all located right by each other (Grapevine Mills Parkway and FM 2499 Grapevine, TX 76051).

Let me know if you need more info and hope this helps!
BigCanada

Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,706,127 times
I get really p'd off about the negative comments about Irving. Just a few ridiculous people who don't know or live here write that kind of stuff. Irving is great and thriving. We just don't have much of the cookie cutter Frisco/McKinney/Grapevine thing going on here and that's what is popular. South Irving is very home towny and Las Colinas is upscale and trendy. Valley Ranch is high density upscale living and house with fairly small lots. We are a very diverse community with beautiful walking on the Campion Trails and the canals. Marabella is in a lovely, safe area. I can and do walk near there all the time and have friends you have live happily in Marabella for over 2 years.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I get really p'd off about the negative comments about Irving. Just a few ridiculous people who don't know or live here write that kind of stuff.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about certain cities, and I have lived in Irving, both on the Valley Ranch side and Irving proper. Didn't really like either of them, but I would recommend Valley Ranch over Irving proper any day.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 81,073 times
Hey there, I also moved from Massachusetts and live in Uptown. How old are you? If you want to be where all the bars and restaurants are, I'd say Uptown is your place. I always see security outside my complex. I live in the Marquis West Village. If you want to direct message me, please feel free. I'd love to know where in MA you lived.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 AM

23 posts, read 36,434 times
Thumbs up Hello...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarja222 View Post
Hello All

I've lived in the Massachusetts area from 5 years and have now decided to move to Texas. I've been looking for work in the DFW area but it has been hard since I am out of state, so I've decided to make the move in August with or without a job. I plan to rent an apartment for 6 mos. and hope that I would find work in that period of time. My plan is to pay the 6 mos. rent in advance. My question is what area and what apartment complexes are safe place for a single female?

I've looked at areas on rent.com: Westdale Hills - Euless, Stonehill Terrace- Irving, Marabella at Las Colinas- Irving, Parc Plaza-Euless.

I just want a 1 bedroom apt, not sure where I would be working so commute I'm flexible on. I've some forums that say that Irving is going downhill? I hope that not the case, I visited there in 2008 and it looked nice too me but please do enlighten me. While I was visiting I also checked out the area in Grapeville and the surrounding areas.

I would be on a type budget so if you guys can give me some good recommendations, I would greatly appreciated it.

.....Sounds like we are in the same boat! I would be interested in following your progress, as I am looking for the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or