U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,382 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a singlewide made by Palm Harbor. If so, what would one with the most upgrades cost approx? (just the trailer, not concrete or anything) Would you recommend their product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM

27,552 posts, read 45,007,788 times
my sister in law bought a double wide because she thought she was getting better quality--
once she ordered the unit and had it delivered and set up
she was very disappointed with the interior quality of what she got--and she got no sympathy from the people she bought from with her complaints

her cabinets are MDF with vinyl contact paper type fronts
there were bad cuts when the cabinets were made--so that some of the joins don't fit tightly and she has gaps in some cabinets
pluming was not tight--she had leaks...

she is worried that the framing around her windows is not that solid either...
she bought hers around Austin I think and had it delivered to Victoria

Old 06-13-2010, 11:38 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,263,103 times
I worked for Palm Harbor for a year.

Don't do it. Just don't.

They are very strict about what they tell you during the sale - - and they give you a lot of "red herring" information, ie., other manufacturers have similar features. It's like a car salesman telling you "well, THIS one has airbags!" (As if to imply that others do not.)

If you really want a mobile/manu. home, Clayton made a good product. But we were selling PH single wides for like $20-35k, and they cost like $5-7 k to make.

With rates so good, you could get a nice brick home for a similar payment, depending on the area. But I don't know your situation.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,548,752 times
Most of the better quality manufactured homes have gone out of business within the past 5 years. The Clayton's that are made here in my county are very low-end but they may make other levels in other factories, don't know. Palm Harbor is middle of the road quality and price, but when you start putting in upgrades the price skyrockets....be very careful and get it all in writing. The best quality home on the market is Karsten Homes. They aren't cheap but they are a very well-built house.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Sorry to hear that some people have had problems with their homes. Does anyone have a Palm Harbor home that they are happy with? I understand that I am not getting top of the line products. (The sales rep was honest in saying that the appliances only are about $700 of the cost...We were looking at a min. of 2,000 for decent appliances...Thankfully I use to be a kitchen/bath designer.)

PFHtex...are the cabinets really contact paper or more like a thermafoil? We have not had a chance to look at the Claytons yet.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,263,103 times
The cabinets came in different trim levels, like velour vs. leather seats in a car. The singles did not have as many upgrade options, but to be honest, some of the doubles had actual finished wood.

I'm assuming you own land and are adding the home - - otherwise I would beg you to look for a brick house.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
The cabinets came in different trim levels, like velour vs. leather seats in a car. The singles did not have as many upgrade options, but to be honest, some of the doubles had actual finished wood.

I'm assuming you own land and are adding the home - - otherwise I would beg you to look for a brick house.

Lol, we do not own land yet, however, we will be buying our own land and contracting whatever work is required out and not with the place we decide. We def. will not be tying the two together and we plan to have the place paid off in 5 years or less. I appreciate your honesty, but I think the hubby is very set on these, so any guidance would be appreciated. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas