Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times

Advertisements

he works in aeronautic engineering and he writes like that? Writing must not be a priority in that industry. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
I would have chosen Dallas instead of San Antonio coming from L.A. SA and Dallas are like day and night. There is going to be quite an adjustment for him living and working in SA.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:34 PM

A very good summary and observation about San Antonio in a recent post in the San Antonio titled “Where will San Antonio be in ten years?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Unless the U.S. brings back onshore more manufacturing and tech jobs and such jobs come to San Antonio, unless SA leaders (both business and government) start thinking outside the box, unless many businesses and local governments stop with the nepotism and hire only qualified, educated candidates and not their relatives or best buddies, then my guess is SA will continue to be a low-wage, service-based economy with a rising DUI and crime rate.

This city will not sprout into utopia with $10.50hr service jobs. You need an educated workforce and a technically savvy one at that to bring in the really good companies.

As for business sites, there's a lot of unoccupied commercial realty AND retail space that could be converted to business use if the locals agree to zoning changes.

I feel there's potential for the city, but such growth and change will only come with much discomfort and will annoy many factions, especially those with a vested interest in maintaining the current status quo.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman210 View Post
i dont know where to move to san antonio texas or dallas texas which cityis bigger, has a better city, schoo,l and people.
Move to San Antonio and you will have to drive to Dallas every year to do your shopping. Move to Dallas and you can travel to San Antonio once every five years to visit that city's attractions. As San Antonio is mostly Hispanic people, Dallas has a more diverse population.
If you are looking for a donkey to ride, a Sombrero to wear, and a Mexican restaurant to eat at, all these things can be found in the Dallas area.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
he works in aeronautic engineering and he writes like that? Writing must not be a priority in that industry. Wow.
You know, nobody ever "wrote like that." The idea that writers once did write that way came from the newpaper columnists who never divulged how much effort they would have to put into revising and rewriting their writing and the numbers of times they would have to submit it to an editor before it was finally either printed or rejected.
Still, as you noted, I've seen people with master degrees who couldn't write on the level of highschool.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Move to San Antonio and you will have to drive to Dallas every year to do your shopping. Move to Dallas and you can travel to San Antonio once every five years to visit that city's attractions. As San Antonio is mostly Hispanic people, Dallas has a more diverse population.
If you are looking for a donkey to ride, a Sombrero to wear, and a Mexican restaurant to eat at, all these things can be found in the Dallas area.
The SA locals would be all over you if they saw this post. They get very defensive if someone makes any comments they don't agree with about their city.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I highly doubt you read their thesis or class projects. All of those are proof read numerous times before turned in. You can't get a master's degree from a university in good standing (i.e.,tier 1-4) without having good writing skills. If the people write to you they aren't caring to proof read unless you are their boss and have noticed the terrible writing at work tasks or work emails?

Quote:
I've seen people with master degrees who couldn't write on the level of highschool.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
The SA locals would be all over you if they saw this post. They get very defensive if someone makes any comments they don't agree with about their city.
My bad. I certainly didn't desire to offend any of the people in the third tier city of San Antonio. Still, unless you are looking to ride a donkey or buy a Sombrero, there just ain't many places to buy stuff in San Antonio. I can think of a few Walmarts and Sams Clubs about the area. For cripes sake, does San Antonio even have a mall?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I highly doubt you read their thesis or class projects. All of those are proof read numerous times before turned in. You can't get a master's degree from a university in good standing (i.e.,tier 1-4) without having good writing skills. If the people write to you they aren't caring to proof read unless you are their boss and have noticed the terrible writing at work tasks or work emails?
See, people just don't write things spontaneously. And students don't know everything either. Instead, they learn how to look like they know everything by learning how to look up sources real time.
I don't know how things are today, though I am certain most things are far worse than they once were, but most universities in the past weren't built with the express intentions of teaching students and making them smarter. To the contrary, most universities in this nation were built with the intention of holding returning Veterans from World War Two keeping them from reentering the job market too soon.
Simply put, there is a huge amount of BS wrapped up in a college education. The fact that many college grads may only write on the highschool level wouldn't be surprising in the least.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Obviously you have a bone to pick with Hispanic people and culture. A little ignorant are we? Donkeys and sombreros? I moved from MA to San Antonio by choice. Part of the reason I did not choose Dallas because it was just plain flat, ugly and isolated. Obviously SA provided more employment opportunities for the OP his family and the decision has been made. SA is closer to the hills, the beach, and all other major Texas cities. Dallas is closer to...Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas