U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 AM

146 posts, read 357,582 times

Advertisements

I've been eyeing a completely charming house that would be extremely comfortable budget-wise, but it has a pool. There is a small side yard and large front yard on a low-traffic street, so there'd be room for children/pets to play.

I'm not much of a pool person, but my husband swims and we have good friends who live nearby and offered to split cost/responsibility of maintaining the pool. The latter isn't weighing heavily in the decision, but would be nice if it actually happened. Anyway, that leads me to my main issue - the weekly/monthly/yearly maintenance.

We're trying to eliminate a lot of yard work by seeking out homes with smaller yards, but would we be trading one time-consuming chore for another if we were to buy a home with a pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,797,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenmover View Post

We're trying to eliminate a lot of yard work by seeking out homes with smaller yards, but would we be trading one time-consuming chore for another if we were to buy a home with a pool?
Yes.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 AM

5,199 posts, read 11,351,197 times
It's just my liking so if I were to have a small yard, I definitely wouldn't want it to be covered in cement. I love nature too much. Of course, we're all different. Maintaining both takes time, but I would guess cleaning a pool is extremely boring and working among grass, trees, flowers, and shrubs is not.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:27 AM

1,491 posts, read 4,548,752 times
Realtors tell me that selling a house with a pool is harder than one without.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 AM

95 posts, read 239,853 times
It will also cause your home insurance to be slightly higher.

But, you'll have a cool place to be on a hot summer day.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM

299 posts, read 660,278 times
Pool maintenance is a pain and that cement pond contributes a decent amount of cost to your electricity and water bill. That said, we were planning on filling in our pool when we bought our house, and in retrospect that would have been incredibly foolish. We use it constantly from June to November...it's the only thing that allows us to be outside in the summer.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Realtors tell me that selling a house with a pool is harder than one without.
That may be true sometimes. But as an appraiser in the Dallas area for the last 27 years, I would tend to disagree. It takes some people out of the market, but it also spikes the interest of quite a few as well. It really just depends on the neighborhood. I just flipped a home with an inground gunnite pool. Bought if from FNMA, and didn't pay an extra penny for the pool (in my mind at least). Sold it in less than 30 days from the listing date, and got about $6,000-7,000 more for it because of the pool. If you want a pool, buying a house that already has one saves tons of money. Adding this pool would have cost at least $20K.

True, they are a pain to deal with sometimes, but there's nothing better during Texas summers than being able to cool off in your own pool. Kids love them, and we've had ours for 13 years. We're empty nesters but still enjoy it a lot.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM

146 posts, read 357,582 times
Thanks for the feeback y'all. We figure if we find a home we just love and it has a pool, that may be our compromise. What I'm really curious to know is what needs to be done and when. Watched a Lowes vid on weekly maintenance and seems like we'd be testing water almost every day and putting in some kind of treatment twice a week... Does that sound about right?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

3,029 posts, read 6,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenmover View Post
Thanks for the feeback y'all. We figure if we find a home we just love and it has a pool, that may be our compromise. What I'm really curious to know is what needs to be done and when. Watched a Lowes vid on weekly maintenance and seems like we'd be testing water almost every day and putting in some kind of treatment twice a week... Does that sound about right?
More like once a week for each during warm months, less in cool or cold months. But it really depends on the quality of your filter, and quality of chemicals you are using. Keeping the pool clean and use of phos-free will help just about any pool.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM

577 posts, read 1,539,898 times
Don't forget cleaning out the filter, scrubbing the side with brush if any algae shows up. If the pool gets slightly off algae can grow pretty quickly especially in hot weather. Once it gets off you have to shock the pool ( major addition of chlorine) and then you cant swim for a little while. It is fun to have a pool but its adds a lot to your utility bill and chlorine and the chemicals are another expense. Having your friends offer to split the maintenance is nice although does that mean they come over whenever they want? As that could get old too...unless you are hanging out constantly now already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or