U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 AM

11 posts, read 40,570 times

Advertisements

What do you think about Coppell High School versus JJ Pearce High School in Richardson ISD? What are the strengths of each school and the pros and cons of going to each one.

We are trying to decide where to put down our roots. Coppell seems like a nice community, with more amenities for younger children like the aquatic center and YMCA. However I've heard great things about the schools in Richardson ISD in North Dallas like the Brentfield elementary and Pearce High. That area of North Dallas however doesn't seem to have many things for children, and I've also read on DMN the population of children is declining in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:01 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,439,859 times
I am in the Pearce area, and this area was built in late 1960s, 1970s so many of the homes still have the "original owners" in them. These Original Owners are in their late 60's, 70's. So, no, there aren't a ton of kids in the area. Pearce has half the enrollment it had in the 70s and 80s. (Which is a good thing. It went from 850+ in a graduating class to 450.)

Half of Pearce students live in Dallas and half in Northwestern Richardson. Richardson is about to build a new aquatic center at Heights Park. The Richardson library is one of the best in the entire area. On the Dallas side there are a couple of smaller Dallas branch libraries. There are sports leagues for the kids - SVAA, for instance. Richardson has a YMCA. There are dance studios and gymnastics places and tutoring places.

Coppell is a younger community.

I know some people want a place with kids in every house. You won't get that in the Pearce area, but there are kids. When I grew up here, it was one of those places where there were kids in every house. It was all new. I am still here and I like it the way it is now (and I have a kid). The kids don't get lost in a sea of other kids.

Pearce High is more diverse than Coppell High - higher free lunch population.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,319,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I am in the Pearce area, and this area was built in late 1960s, 1970s so many of the homes still have the "original owners" in them. These Original Owners are in their late 60's, 70's. So, no, there aren't a ton of kids in the area. Pearce has half the enrollment it had in the 70s and 80s. (Which is a good thing. It went from 850+ in a graduating class to 450.)

Half of Pearce students live in Dallas and half in Northwestern Richardson. Richardson is about to build a new aquatic center at Heights Park. The Richardson library is one of the best in the entire area. On the Dallas side there are a couple of smaller Dallas branch libraries. There are sports leagues for the kids - SVAA, for instance. Richardson has a YMCA. There are dance studios and gymnastics places and tutoring places.

Coppell is a younger community.

I know some people want a place with kids in every house. You won't get that in the Pearce area, but there are kids. When I grew up here, it was one of those places where there were kids in every house. It was all new. I am still here and I like it the way it is now (and I have a kid). The kids don't get lost in a sea of other kids.

Pearce High is more diverse than Coppell High - higher free lunch population.
Pearce also has an exemplary TEA rating. Richardson High School is recognized, as is Coppell HS.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM

4,307 posts, read 11,160,736 times
Like stated one is a older communtiy with many retiree's while the other is more young and vibrant with many school age kids. Your job location may be the deciding factor since both communities are not that close together..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or