U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,969 times

Advertisements

So after growing up in Dallas many years ago, I MAY end up moving back to Dallas for a job. Knowing that things in Dallas have changed significantly, my main concern is finding the right neighborhood to center my housing search around. If I get the job, I would be working in the Uptown area.

Having said all of that, I'm a single guy in his mid 30's. I don't feel the need to get screaming drunk or be elbow to elbow with people in the hottest clubs. Nevertheless, I am looking for a neighborhood that offers a walkable concentration of coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. Not upper crust $20 martini joints mind you - decidedly laid back neighborhood establishments. I also don't want too much of the other extreme - overly hipster/"scene"/counterculture neighborhood.

If I had to compare my taste in neighborhoods to clothing, I'm looking for a familiar, comfy, well worn in pair of jeans - something with soul. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by guitarded_1; 06-16-2010 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,681,510 times
Lakewood

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Lakewood
Hmmmmm. I grew up in Lakewood and loved it. I'll look into that. Any specific parts/intersections that have become more well developed with bars, coffee shops, and such? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Lakewood is a little older, more family centered. I'd recommend M Streets (the area just east of 75 between Henderson and Mockingbird) and the whole area around Henderson as the best spots for you, given what we know about you.

There are great options for relatively affordable houses ($250-$300k for a cute Tudor/ Prairie/ Traditional cottage, a little more for a new construction townhome), and apartments and duplexes to rent (again, both old & new).

Next time you're in town, be sure to go out along Henderson Avenue. It is almost completely developed & occupied all the way from 75 to Ross Avenue. Laid back bars like Blue Collar Bar, Barcadia, Old Monk, Capitol Pub are alongside great (but unpretentious) date places like Veritas wine bar, Cafe San Miguel, The Porch, Hibiscus, etc. The Pearl Cup is a great indie coffee shop.

There are still great restaurants along Greenville (Cafe Izmir, The Grape, San Francisco Rose, etc) and the Grananda Theatre still attracts indie rock acts in a small venue. Most of the bars along Greenville skew a little young, though the Libertine is worth checking out. Corner Market makes a great sandwich & Society Bakery has the best cupcakes & sweet treats in town!

You are a quick commute to Uptown and close to White Rock Lake, NorthPark Mall, Deep Ellum, etc- anything you could possibly want/ need.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Well let me narrow this down. Because of a corporate discount, I would like/need to live in a Gables community. Knoxbridge has been suggested as a good possibility. Here is the list:

[url=http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/searchresults.aspx?city=Dallas/Ft.%20Worth&bed=&price=&community=&zip[/url]

i can't seem to make this link work. What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Welcome home!

Try Gables, Gables.com - Dallas*TX Apartments for Rent, Dallas Luxury Apartments

That one is on the Knox side of Knox Henderson - so adjacent to HP (and they haven't changed) - I would think you would want to be east of central..

In Lakewood coffee shops are Legal Grounds (just purchased by Eric Johnson, who grew up on Burwood) next to Snow Pea (former Lim Yee or may remember the old Yacht Club) and the Coffee Company on Skillman just north of Live Oak. Others are chains. I live in Junius Heights and can walk to either..plus a mulititude of other venues -- one you shouldn't miss is times ten cellars - Dallas, Texas Winery - Wine Tasting Bar, Texas Wineries (http://www.timestencellars.com/home_dallas.html - broken link) in the original Art Deco Lakewood Post Office.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded_1 View Post
Well let me narrow this down. Because of a corporate discount, I would like/need to live in a Gables community. Knoxbridge has been suggested as a good possibility. Here is the list:

[url=http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/searchresults.aspx?city=Dallas/Ft.%20Worth&bed=&price=&community=&zip[/url]

i can't seem to make this link work. What am I doing wrong?

For Gables properties, that one is your best bet. You'd be literally across 75 from the area I recommended above. Like, 100 yards from it. Ignore Lakewooder's HP comment above. I grew up in the Park Cities and while the Knox/McKinney area is HP adjacent, I'd never consider it part of HP. The crowd there is a catch all- 30-somethings who are tires of Uptown, young couples without kids, some SMU crowd, a little HP, a little M Streets, and the occasional Uptowner venturing north for dinner at La Duni or Chuy's or to buy a wedding present at Crate & Barrel or frozen custard at Wild About Harry's.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
He specified "decidedly laid back" - so maybe couple of places on the Knox side would qualify. It is very walkable.

I don't consider it HP either, even though the HP Pharmacy is there. I lived off Henderson for eight years and still own a couple of properties there* There is quite a bit of 'spillover' so if you don't want to be running into Parkies, you wouldn't want to live there. Oh if only I could name all the places in there we've had run-ins with them over the years...

But if you want Gables I guess you are stuck. Just "Head East" - maybe you aren't old enough to remember that group.

* in fact one is coming up for lease, DM me if you are interested.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 AM

23 posts, read 36,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Welcome home!

Try Gables, Gables.com - Dallas*TX Apartments for Rent, Dallas Luxury Apartments

That one is on the Knox side of Knox Henderson - so adjacent to HP (and they haven't changed) - I would think you would want to be east of central..

In Lakewood coffee shops are Legal Grounds (just purchased by Eric Johnson, who grew up on Burwood) next to Snow Pea (former Lim Yee or may remember the old Yacht Club) and the Coffee Company on Skillman just north of Live Oak. Others are chains. I live in Junius Heights and can walk to either..plus a mulititude of other venues -- one you shouldn't miss is times ten cellars - Dallas, Texas Winery - Wine Tasting Bar, Texas Wineries (http://www.timestencellars.com/home_dallas.html - broken link) in the original Art Deco Lakewood Post Office.

Thanks!
This looks like a great place, will check it out when I visit this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or