U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM

372 posts, read 566,258 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am in need of information on this area. We have an opportunity to live in a house a block or so south of the intersection of Royal and Preston.

I am not that familar with that area and would love to get the 411 on what to expect. We have children, and would like to know about the local parks, any summer recreational programs through the city such as art, sports, mad science type of camps. I also like to know about the local shopping, such as grocery stores, cinemas and malls. Any sort of whole foods in the area too?

Is this area a place that urban young families are living in or more for singles?

I have never had the chance to live in Dallas proper and am excited at the prospect of it, however if anyone has anything they feel might not be a match, your comments are welcomed.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
I love that area! Shopping, shopping everywhere. Google Central Market, Whole Foods & Sprouts & you'll find a good market nearby. Not terribly far from Northpark Mall at hwy 75 (locally called central expry) and Northwest Hwy.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
Is the plan to use private schools?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
I can't speak to kids' activities but it is a beautiful wealthy neighborhood- right in the heart of Preston Hollow.

There is a relatively new Whole Foods one major intersection north, at Forrest & Preston. For malls, you are about halfway between NorthPark and the Galleria. There are also big shopping centers at Preston & Royal (Borders, Barnes & Noble, several clothing boutiques for kids and women, nice restaurants as well as Starbucks & McDonald's, a Tom Thumb grocery store, etc), at Forrest & Preston (gas station, big CVS, Bank of America, JoAnn's Fabrics, and many more dining options- Mi Cocina, Pei Wei, Corner Bakery, Scotty P's burgers), and about two miles south is Preston Center at Noethwest Hwy (upscale shopping & dining on the east side, mass merchants & discounters on the west side).

There are many churches and synagogues in the area (along with many of the elite private schools), so I'm sure there are many summer camp and after school activities if you can enroll.

Public schools are in DISD, which can be hit or miss, so do your researh if you intend to use the neighborhood schools. A recent poster was surprised to learn the local DISD school didn't look as shiny and new as the suburban districts she was used to- she was also surprised that 70% of the school was Hispanic.

The only potential drawback to the area is that because so many neighborhood kids attend a variety of private schools (in addition to the ones who use the public schools) that it may be harder for your kids to make friends since they won't live and go to school with the neighbors.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Few more thoughts for you:

AMC NorthPark is the closest theatre. The Angelika at Mockingbird Station or the Inwood Theatre are the closest indie theatres.

Check the Museum of Nature & Science at Fair Park and the Dallas Museum of Art downtown for kids activities. Both offer great progams for kids & are just a 10-15 minute drive.

Just re-read your question about the neighborhood and realized you many not know much about Preston Hollow. It is an extrmely wealthy in-town neighborhood. The $13M a year CEO of my company lives on Stefani (a few blocks from your home) in a $3M home. The city's movers and shakers who decide not to live in Highland Park/ University Park live in PH. Lots are slightly bigger than in the Park Cities. There are many original ranch homes from the 1950's and also a ton of new construction built in the past 15 years or so. Proximity to downtown/ uptown/ Preston Center/ Galleria (major office centers) and the elite private schools (St Mark's will be in your backyard, Hockaday, ESD, Ursuline, Jesuit, etc are nearby) are the biggest draw. Lots of residents grew up in the area, whole others had relocated from around the country or other parts of DFW.

Population is mainly white and extremely affluent. Moms drive Land Rovers, SUVs from BMW & Lexus, and the occasional Suburban or Audi station waggon. Moms shop at Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer, and Neiman's. Many families belong to the exclusive country clubs- Northwood, Royal Oaks, Brook Hollow, Dallas). Private school kids are typically very well-groomed and preppy, well-mannered, and over-scheduled (private tennis lessons, club soccer leagues, piano, art classes, volunteer work, etc). They lean towards the wild side once they hit high school as they have access to their own cars, fake ID's, and empty homes as parents jet off to Europe or Aspen. It is overwhelming a family neighborhood, with a fair share of "original" owners who are empty nesters. Not many singles- too far from the Uptown action-and one would need a sizeable income to afford a $500k, 800k, or $2M home in PH.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Former President Bush lives in that area. That should tell you something about how nice the neighborhood is.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM

8,856 posts, read 10,312,965 times
"Population is mainly white and extremely affluent. Moms drive Land Rovers, SUVs from BMW & Lexus, and the occasional Suburban or Audi station waggon."

Or honda.

"Moms shop at Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer, and Neiman's."

...Target, The Gap, Chicos...

Really, there is such a mix in that neighborhood. I know tons of families exactly where the OP is talking about, many are quite laid back and would laugh at the thought that they could freely shop at Neiman's, etc... . Maybe it's because most of the people I know live in the 50s ranch homes as opposed to the huge homes being built. I don't know.

"Many families belong to the exclusive country clubs- Northwood, Royal Oaks, Brook Hollow, Dallas). Private school kids are typically very well-groomed and preppy, well-mannered, and over-scheduled (private tennis lessons, club soccer leagues, piano, art classes, volunteer work, etc). They lean towards the wild side once they hit high school as they have access to their own cars, fake ID's, and empty homes as parents jet off to Europe or Aspen."

I honestly don't know these people! I mean, I know they exist in the PH area, but I really don't think it's the norm. Maybe I'm wrong.

"It is overwhelming a family neighborhood, with a fair share of "original" owners who are empty nesters. Not many singles- too far from the Uptown action-and one would need a sizeable income to afford a $500k, 800k, or $2M home in PH."

Agreed!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Former President Bush lives in that area. That should tell you something about how nice the neighborhood is.
He's across from pershing though, in old PH. Huge lots. A block or so south of Preston Royal is more modest.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM

272 posts, read 712,357 times
You've gotten good information on shopping. Here are some ideas for kid programs that won't break the bank. (If you've got a bigger budget check out the summer camps at Hockaday, St. Marks, Greenhill and Parish Episcopal for fun options.)

Your nearest recreation center is Churchill Rec Center (on Churchill Way -- Hillcrest just before you get to LBJ). They run lots of summer camps there including golf and tennis. My kids did a Junior Players (drama) camp there one summer that they really enjoyed and it was free. Fretz Recreation center isn't too far away -- Hillcrest and Belt Line -- and it offers a comprehensive junior beginner's tennis program. It is located next to Fretz Recreation center which also has a variety of summer camps.

Your closest library is Preston Royal which is located on Royal just west of the Tollway. The summer reading program is going on and there are usually a lot of fun and free events associated with the summer reading program.

The Town North YMCA is located at Midway and Northaven. They run great recreational and sports camps all summer long as well as swimming classes, gymastics classes, etc.

Lots of church vacation Bible schools going on -- check with the neighborhood church for your denomination if you are a churchgoer.

The JoAnn at Preston and Forest has fun craft classes for a variety of ages. Power House of Dance (Inwood across from Jesuit) offers camps for younger kids and drop in classes for ages 8 - 18.

Are far as parks, both the Churchill and Fretz Rec Center have parks. Other good choices include the great neighborhood parks at Thackery and Park and Northaven and Rosser. There are many smaller parks scattered throughout neighborhoods as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in need of information on this area. We have an opportunity to live in a house a block or so south of the intersection of Royal and Preston.

I am not that familar with that area and would love to get the 411 on what to expect. We have children, and would like to know about the local parks, any summer recreational programs through the city such as art, sports, mad science type of camps. I also like to know about the local shopping, such as grocery stores, cinemas and malls. Any sort of whole foods in the area too?

Is this area a place that urban young families are living in or more for singles?

I have never had the chance to live in Dallas proper and am excited at the prospect of it, however if anyone has anything they feel might not be a match, your comments are welcomed.

Thank you.
Love the area. A very popular park is Preston Hollow Park south of there. Always lots of kids there. You may want to look into membership at Town North YMCA which is west of the Preston Royal area. There is always something going on there for kids and families. We're just now outgrowing it in my family, except for dropping dd off with a friend to swim. Lots of sports and other programs there.
You'll be within walking distance of all sorts of shops right there, also my new favorite (albeit expensive!) yogurt shop, I Heart Yogurt. Yum! As someone else mentioned, Whole Foods is just north of the area at Preston Forest. There is a very nice Tom Thumb in the shopping center in Preston Royal. Restaurants are everywhere in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or