U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM

279 posts, read 1,009,381 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NY and wanted to live in Austin when I first moved to Texas but there were no jobs when I was looking at first so I moved to Houston first and then after a year relocated for another year to Austin.

Austin is more like where I lived, not flat and much to do. Houston has alot to do as well but a bit more flat and more humid. Austin's weather is more liveable.

My real question is about Dallas. Everyone keeps telling me to check out Dallas for some reason. I visited it a few times and it seems very much like a rough manufacturing city with neighborhoods in between.

I know Houston is the same way but at least Houston has sectioned off parts like Greenway Plaza, The Galleria, River Oaks which are beautiful places to live and beautiful neighborhoods surrounding those areas.

Austin is just beautiful everywhere.

I'm not knocking Dallas but everytime I visit it, I don't see anything to make me go back other the wealthy neighborhoods which I can't afford.

Both in Houston and Austin I can live well for 300k

Can someone tell me if Dallas has great neighborhoods in my 300k range, not surrounded by industry (factories and warehouses) office bldgs and shopping is fine, parks and water would be nice and since I visit a few times I haven't found these areas.

I'm looking for something relatively newer then a gut job unless the neighborhood can't be beat. But in my opinion both in Houston and Austin have many new properties and recently built properties to choose from so i'm hoping Dallas has some too.

Show pics or name areas and anything else you may think I like. I'm hoping locals would help without asking realtors since they are a bit annoying at first. I'm looking for people who live there and know where to search for what I like rather then a realtor emailing each week with listings of homes not in my criteria no matter how much you say different. So no realtors now.

I like to bike ride, kayak, shop, go out to dinner, movies etc. Being in an ideal not far from everything would be great. Safe neighborhoods and not up and coming if you have to park and run to the house. lol

I like to have city views b/c the lights at night remind me of NY and love that. Near shops, parks etc would be ok.

I thought about North Dallas inside the loop and Plano next to 75 roughly.
I'll be working in the hospitals as well so commuting to the city should not be an issue.

I appreciate all of your help.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 PM

11,678 posts, read 21,250,268 times
I have no idea what parts of Dallas you've been driving through (West Dallas? South Dallas?), but it is defintely not an industrial feeling city.

For under $300k, I'd recommend looking in Lake Highlands (75238), Old Lake Highlands/ Little Forrest Hills/ Casa Linda (75218), Ridgewood Park/ Caruth Terrace/ Univesity Terrace (75214 north of Mockingbird), parts of Lakwood may be affordable (75214 south of Mockingbird), Lakewood Terrace/ M Streets (75206), and Hollywood Heights/ Santa Monica (75223). If you want a townhome or condo, check Uptown (75204).

Most of these neighborhoods surround White Rock Lake in East Dallas, which has a 9 mile loop for running & biking. There is also an active sailing community & a marina on White Rock. You cannot swim in the lake. About 20 minutes east of Dallas is Lake Ray Hubbard in Rockwall, where you can swim/ ski/ motorboat/ etc.

The terrain in Lake Highlands & Lakewood is lush & green, with gently rolling hills (not as much as in Austin, but not flat like the rest of Dallas).

These are mostly going to be older homes (but very well maintained)- a collection of 1910's craftsman homes, 1920 & 1930s Spanish Eclectic & Tudor, 1940's Colonial / Traditional, and ranches from 1950's and 1960's. For $300k, you are generally looking at a 2/2 or 3/2 with 2,000-2,500 square feet. You may be able to get a 1970's soft contemporary in Lake Highlands that is closer to 3,000sf for your money.

For newer construction in that price range, you are looking at 3 level townhomes (typically 3/2 and 2,500sf range) in Uptown.

These are all neighborhoods that have HELD THEIR VALUE in the real estate downturn (vs higher end areas that were hit due to no financing available for jumbo loans and newer areas in far-flung suburbs that are foreclosure city due to an enormous amount of unsold spec homes). These areas have already begun to appreciate again & are the cream of the crop in Dallas- good public schools, close to entertainment & downtown/Uptown for work. Very desirable neighborhoods!!!

Next time you are in town, check out the following entertainment areas:
1. Henderson Avenue from 75 to Ross Avenue- an eclectic mix of trendy indie restaurants, laid back bars, Mexican taquerias, and upscale furniture/ home decor stores.
2. West Village in Uptown- "typical" flashy Dallas hangout, with trendy clothing stores, busy popular restuarants like Mi Cocina, Social House, and Taco Diner, indie theatre, flagship Starbucks, and apartments.
3. Knox Street- charming restuarants with popular patios and tons of furniture/ home decor stores.
4. Bishop Arts District- eclectic side of Dallas, with trendy restaurants that butt up against little Mexico and tons of taquerias & Quincinera stores.
5. Main Street downtown- trendy clubs, high end hotels, flagship Neiman Marcus store
6. Deep Ellum- old warehouse district, filled with live music joints and tasty indie restaurnts. Very laid back and diverse.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
East Dallas/Lakewood Photos

Photo Tour: The Mansions on Swiss and Lakewood in route to the Dallas Arboretum

Fair Park Dallas, Art Deco Structures Packed During the Irish Festival

Photo Tour: The Beauty Found in the Layers and History of Downtown Dallas[/quote]

There are many modest homes mixed in among the mansions in the first two threads - some of the areas TC suggests.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 06-17-2010 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

18 posts, read 39,864 times
The traffic in Dallas is comparable to that in Houston, I'd say they're about equal.
Horrendous in both!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
If you live inside the loop (or inside LBJ in Dallas) traffic is really not a problem. No need to use tollways or freeways. I sat through three light changes the other day due to an accident and I don't think I've had that experience in many, many years.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,349,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlingDallas View Post
The traffic in Dallas is comparable to that in Houston, I'd say they're about equal.
Horrendous in both!
Except Houston has a better laid out freeway system that's a lot easier to navigate IMO. Its also a lot more modern looking with better HOV lanes & more lanes over all.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,699,563 times
Since you like Austin, stay there! Most of us would love to live there!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:58 AM

164 posts, read 405,710 times
Dallas is the financial center of Texas so you will find the economy to be vibrant and more diverse than Houston. However, it is not as pretty. Smaller trees, newer neighborhoods, and mostly flat. No beach nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or