U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM

126 posts, read 99,581 times
Default Apartment heating/cooling costs

Have anyone ever lived here:
Renaissance Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Dallas apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
It looks like (from another website) it was built in 1997 so I would expect that most of the insulation and such are pretty good with few drafts and windows that keep heat/cold out.

I am currently living in a kind of dumpy 3rd floor vaulted ceiling apartment built in 1986. Our electric bills are generally under $200 and below $100 when the weather is nice (for that whole month of the year).

I see on the apt ratings site that more than 1 person has complained about very high heating/cooling costs at the newer apartments. How can it be so high in a newer apartment? I like everything about this place so far and they have an opening that fits our timeline but the cooling costs worry me. I work at home so I have to keep the AC on all day too.

Advice? Explanations? Better Apartments nearby with 2 beds for around $1000/mo built sometime not in the 80's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:11 PM

14,316 posts, read 25,691,605 times
I don't know abut those apts specifically but just becauses something is new does not mean it is better
location, windows, insulation, appliances and whether or not the renter can CHOOSE electric provider all have impact on electric useage...
some apts sell electricity to their renters and there is not any choice about rate plan--
renters in those types of complexes just get the shaft...

Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM

66 posts, read 148,577 times
It can happen in all types of apts. Girlfriend lives in 1997 complex w/ **** for insulation. $330 for the month of Dec for a 1brm and she wasn't there for 2 wks of the billing period.

Also, try this and see if you can't find some more around there.
HotPads.com - Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Sale and for Rent, Rental Houses, Sublets, Roommates

Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM

126 posts, read 99,581 times
We ended up getting a apt down the street from the one we previously looked at. Built in 1997, but it looks like its in great condition. Ground floor too so it should stay cooler. Also a good indicator of how well insulated and how well the AC worked was that when we toured it we found that the cleaning crew had left the AC set to 70 degrees and the AC had actually been able to cool the apartment to that temp and maintain it even though it was 98 degrees outside.
Right now, I have the AC running almost constantly in our 3rd floor apt, set at 77, and by the end of the evening its 80 degrees inside until about 10pm.
Seriously can't wait to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: