U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
fav fav started this thread

9 posts, read 11,101 times

Advertisements

My husband, two children, and I have come to the conclusion that we need to relocate somewhere warmer and overall cheaper than where we live right now, which is Chicago. We have lived in El Paso before and we most likely would not move back there by choice.

We have decided that Dallas looks the most promising, at least for what we are looking for minus the seemingly car-dependency of the city. I do like that there is some sort of rail system there though (DART).

I have been reading a lot on here, but am still looking for a little bit of advice.

Living/housing: We are definitely urbanites, not suburbanites, we enjoy diversity, and a mid-to fast paced type of lifestyle. We live in a dicey neighborhood in Chicago right now and while we love certain things about it, we could do without the drug and gang violence (and have I mentioned the hellish weather?).

We don't know where we will be working yet (see 'Jobs' section), but I think we would like to stay as close to Dallas as possible or at least get the urban feeling we are looking for. We like to walk to a lot of places so somewhere that is somewhat pedestrian friendly, too.

Our problem is what we anticipate what we can afford for rent which will probably be no more that $900 month. In your honest, Dallas resident opinions do we stand to find something in a decent area in a decent apartment with that kind of money?

I have been using craigslist and apartments.com, but haven't had much luck finding kind of what we're looking for because most of the apartments are really far out of the city and in the suburbs. I have been using walkscore.com too and unfortunately most of the places I have looked at are rated as a 55 or less walk score, so not really walkable.

Any recommendations on neighborhoods to avoid besides Oak Cliff?

Jobs: We are moving with only tentative jobs lined up and both my husband and I are generally unskilled. My husband bartends (going on 5 years experience) and I am a CphT (certified pharmacy tech), but haven't been able to find a job in Chicago due to a 13% unemployment rate and a hiring freeze on retail pharmacy technicians (and I don't have enough experience for hospital pharmacy at least not in Chicago).

I saw that Dallas' unemployment rate was roughly 8% last year. Has that improved any? How have the hospitality and health care field been faring?

I saw on some older threads that McKinney Ave, Henderson, and Greenville are good for bars/clubs. Are there any other areas you all would recommend for a bartender looking for work?

Schools: I have only one school age child right now (the other won't be in school for awhile) and I have found that the Dallas school district is kind of hit or miss with good and bad schools. Does anyone care to share areas/schools to avoid? I guess that kind of goes with my "neighborhoods to avoid" question.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I will continue reading the board, but thought I'd ask a few more specific questions I haven't been able to find the answers to. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM

27,714 posts, read 45,264,049 times
Dallas Pharmacy Tech Reg Prn Job - TX, 75201 (http://www.texashealth-jobs.org/job/Dallas-Pharmacy-Tech-Reg-Prn-Job-TX-75201/840070/?utm_source=Indeed - broken link)

do a job search--
and check what TX pharmacy board requirements are

there are plenty of CVS/Walgreens, WalMarts, Targets around here in addition to hospitals

Richardson schools are generally rated better than Dallas ISD and DART is in that area
rental homes there as well as apts...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks so much.

I know that I fit the pharmacy technician requirements for the state of Texas because they have much more strict regulation of pharmacy techs than Illinois does. In Illinois it is not state law that technicians be nationally certified like I am.

I'm certified through the PTCB, have two years of college under my belt (want to graduate in Texas actually ). I'm totally legit and ready to work in Texas minus the Texas state board registration.

Would you say that Richardson has a kind of urban feeling considering it is a suburb? Or should I just give up on living in or close to "the city"?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,453,534 times
Actually most of the city of Dallas looks and feels like a suburb - streets and streets of houses lined up with retail at the corners of the major intersections. That's what the suburbs look like too, except the only things that change are the ages of the area (when it was built) and the types of businesses. There are more mom and pop places in the city and the inner ring (older) suburbs like Richardson, in addition to the chains. Go out to the new exhurb places like Frisco and it's a bit more big chain type places.

The urban type feel is only a very small area - downtown, Uptown - and it's mostly singles. There are a few families living in those high rises and it's odd enough that the newspaper does articles about them. These are wealthy families who use private schools. That urban-ish area is expensive, too.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Thanks so much!

The city of Chicago is pretty spread out, too, actually. There is the immediate downtown area, which has all the tall buildings and high rises, but the city limits are pretty sprawling and this is where you find more of the smaller apartment buildings and single family homes and condos, although these aren't like the suburbs in the way that everything is very close together, there are cute neighborhood joints all around, street parking only, no strip malls, etc.

I will anticipate looking further outside the city though. Unfortunately we cannot afford to live downtown and send our kids to private school.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM

27,714 posts, read 45,264,049 times
zoning is different in TX than Chicago maybe which probably accounts for lot of the differences
there are some areas with mixed commercial, retail, residential in Dallas and FTW like you are used to
maybe more than you think--BUT walking is not usually done around here --
mainly because it is not that convenient with nearnes of homes to commercial--some areas don't have sidewalks or good public transportation
and the HEAT--walking in summer further than from your car to the office, your back door to the pool, or the car to the mall is usually frowned upon and can be dangerous to your health...
if people walk/run for exercise they usually do it early or late or inside at a gym...

will PM you a real eastate site for looking at neighborhoods/homes in MLS that are for sale
you can get general idea for what the area looks like by using the map feature that shows the "birds-eye-view"
you can move the cursor around and see what the neighborhood and area around it has for streets/shopping/isolation effect
and it also shows the schools for that particular house
EXEMPLARY
RECOGNIZED
ACCEPTABLE
UNACCEPTABLE
are the best/worst state rankings based on state test scores and other factors
it is easier for an elementary school to get a top rating and progressively more difficult for middle and high schools
currently there are only two exemplary high schools in this area--Southlake Carroll and Highland Park ISD--both considered very wealthy student bodies--compared to other areas...
STREET PARKING is something that people in TX frown on--most homes have garages/driveways either in front or from alleys in the back--
most neighborhoods have HOAs with rules about parking on the streets in front of houses
I don't think you will find any of the odd/even parking days like I have read about in certain urban areas

Old 06-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks so much for the advice.

I really love the frowning on street parking thing. In the city of Chicago, some places offer a one car garage or you can buy street parking, but buying street parking can be $20K a year or more. Garages are more. It is not offered in all neighborhoods either. Most neighborhoods do not have parking garages either.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM

23,645 posts, read 31,382,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fav View Post
Thanks so much.

I know that I fit the pharmacy technician requirements for the state of Texas because they have much more strict regulation of pharmacy techs than Illinois does. In Illinois it is not state law that technicians be nationally certified like I am.

I'm certified through the PTCB, have two years of college under my belt (want to graduate in Texas actually ). I'm totally legit and ready to work in Texas minus the Texas state board registration.

Would you say that Richardson has a kind of urban feeling considering it is a suburb? Or should I just give up on living in or close to "the city"?
Richardson is definitely not urban. I second what the other poster said, i.e. most of Dallas proper has a suburban feel to it. The kind of pedestrian-friendly areas you are looking for are mostly out of your price range I think.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,890,917 times
Check 75214, 75206 and 75223. I always recommend the apartments along East University between Greenville and Skillman - some of the streets are: Sandhurst, Amesbury, Danbury, Jason..a good mix of apartments and condos, new and old - many spacious older units with dens and fireplaces. See NW corner of this map:

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/eszones2009/JacksonStonewall2009.pdf (broken link)

Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood are known as the best elementary schools - however Lee and Lipscomb are also coming on strong these days.

You might also find some indepedent landlord in those zips as there are many duplexes, fourplexes and some single family homes in that range. You would probably like something closer to Greenville Avenue, Lakewood Shopping Center or Skillman / Live Oak - higher walkscores around there. Henderson is close but is not in the same school feeder pattern.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Thanks so much to both of you for your replies. I have been looking into everything that has been said.

I definitely hope that eventually we will be able to earn more/live in a better place, but I want to be modest at first considering that jobs may not be as easy to come by these days.

I don't see these cities mentioned very often. Maybe you guys (or should I say ya'll?) can fill me in: Grand Prairie and Arlington. Are those cities best avoided? Do they have as negative a reputation as a neighborhood like Oak Cliff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas