U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 AM

5 posts, read 26,845 times

Advertisements

A quality property inspection by an "Independent" licensed professional with a construction/remodeling background that is from this area could provide the facts concerning your investment.
Due diligence and choose wisely. Your inspector should have "no dog in the hunt", only answer to you and have your interests as their only concern...not referral biz from your builder, realtor or their brokerage
hth
badair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 27,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepMoving View Post
I am reading that much of Frisco was not suitable for building--too late now. The problem seems to be expansive soil--some of the worst in the country. The result is expensive foundation repairs (almost all concrete slabs there). One realtor said this is "normal" (no way) and expected (crazy). I read that 60% of the homes in Frisco, TX have foundation problems. Can anyone tell me if this is really true? Could it be? (That would explain the gobs of foundation repair companies in the area.) Are close-by communities (e.g. Denton) as bad? Thank you for information.
Yes, Frisco, especially West Frisco, has very bad soil. We lived there for 7 years (Lone Star Ranch) and were constantly battling cracks, buckling driveways, and wavy sidewalks. The city Crews are out there quite often fixing streets and sidewalks. We will not be moving back to Frisco. Have a foundation inspection company look before you buy. The typical realtor-recommended inspector may not catch subtle foundation issues which can turn into a $40,000 foundation issue very fast.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:09 AM

18 posts, read 27,215 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I now see that agent hunting is as important as house hunting. I bought my last house FSBO. I found it, but the agent I was "working with" wanted about $7500 commission for me to proceed. She said "by law" that I should have signed an exclusive buyer's agreement. Gosh, oh my, did I break the law? How frightening. She finally said she would settle for $500 instead. She never got a cent and now my guard is way up. And the FSBO went flawlessly, a joy for both parties.
Haven't found a realtor yet that was worth their commission. They tend to just get in the way. We have bought and sold a few houses FSBO. The Title Company does all the work and provides guidance the whole way. Never once missed the realtor the slightest bit.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 AM

669 posts, read 490,450 times
Quote:
I hear you. We have broadened our search with new interest in exactly what you mentioned--I consider 50's and 60's pier and beam homes to be real houses. Large rooms and stylish exteriors; more room between houses and attractive sloped roofs. These new homes in Frisco have ridiculous roof pitches. The more I look at new homes in Frisco, the more they look like monster patio homes. (But they have granite counter tops! Never mind the fact they crack, too.). I'm also learning Grand is/was a crummy builder. I wish realtors were bound to tell the truth, nothing but the truth. That would help buyers more than anything.
Don't single out Frisco for that hideous roof pitch. It is widespread in the area and has been going on for at least 20 years. Allen, Plano, McKinney, The Colony, Carrollton, and adjacent parts of Dallas... it is all over the place.

Old Today, 10:18 AM

2 posts
New to this site. What to do if you had foundation repair and it is destroying home ?
We just used a foundation company for repair. All sorts of red flags, can't get them to come back out.
What kind of leverage over them do we have ? Located in Collin County, Allen, McKinney, Plano area, pier and beam.

Old Today, 05:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 5,848,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by online9967 View Post
New to this site. What to do if you had foundation repair and it is destroying home ?
We just used a foundation company for repair. All sorts of red flags, can't get them to come back out.
What kind of leverage over them do we have ? Located in Collin County, Allen, McKinney, Plano area, pier and beam.

How is it destroying the home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or