U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 4,741,687 times

Advertisements

Not the best of times right now.. Jobs are hard to come by and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from the east coast to Dallas.....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time where you are.......Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM

95 posts, read 239,810 times
Maryland transplants. Texas is the opposite of Maryland in nearly every way - almost all for the better. The people are much friendlier, the CoL is much lower, it's much more open, there's much less traffic...it's a long list.

That said, I brought my job with me and sa had a reliable income.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 81,063 times
I am from Boston, but kept the same job when I moved here. Soooo nice to not have to deal with cold weather. I love it here.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:25 PM

166 posts, read 449,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar8739 View Post
Soooo nice to not have to deal with cold weather.
I moved back to Texas after two years in Philly suburbs and I don't miss the cold weather, either. I can finally afford a house and have access to a lot of good restaurants without having to drive to downtown. Not having to deal with state and local taxes is another plus. Career-wise, I suffered quite a bit of decline after the move and eventually have to change my job from a Philly-based company to a Texas-based employer.
But like my former manager said, you should do the best for your family.

Last edited by yjc281; 06-20-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM

73 posts, read 243,944 times
Moved from NY/NJ and have no regrets...taxes in the East are only going to go up...you actually get what you pay for down here...wished we moved 10 years ago...better late than never...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM

81 posts, read 199,751 times
Moved from Philly to here three months ago

So far - cons
Warm weather
Nice people
No taxes
Good roads and moving traffic despite being heavy
Cheap
Finally able to afford a house
I got a job before i even got here which i cant say for the EC

Cons -
I miss my friends
I feel like i live in the country coz even though Dallas isnt a far drive, the burbs here are so empty
Contractors here suck - they say one thing and are soo slow to get things done!
I know i put weather up there but it can be crazy with these 100 degree days and no rain to cool down

Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 7,669 times
Default East coast transplant, too - how is Dallas

We are also considering a move - we just became empty nesters, and I have a professional opportunity, but have been in Boston area for 30 years (and of course love it), but I'm open.

Can a New Englander find happiness living in a downtown neighborhood, or do we need to be on a lake somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not the best of times right now.. Jobs are hard to come by and times are hard right now....However..I am seeking out recent transplants that have made the move from the east coast to Dallas.....Are you happy with your decision? Are you having a difficult time where you are.......Do you wish you had stayed where you are... Please weigh in on this discussion... I need to hear from other people who have made the move...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,534,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Traveler View Post
We are also considering a move - we just became empty nesters, and I have a professional opportunity, but have been in Boston area for 30 years (and of course love it), but I'm open.

Can a New Englander find happiness living in a downtown neighborhood, or do we need to be on a lake somewhere?
It's satisfactory here but if you have it made in BOS already I doubt you will find DFW to be any improvement. The only thing that truly is better about DFW is it is cheaper. No snow, better retail service are also nice amenities.

There is no downtown energy in DFW comparable to BOS. You will miss the history, the beautiful architecture, the Common and Public Garden. There is no Charles River and no ocean. There's no Quincy Market, and the even the malls here are inferior. You'll miss the T. It is simply significantly less developed.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM

216 posts, read 371,758 times
We actually went to New England for our honeymoon a few years back. I always hear people saying that they like Texas because people are friendly here, but I honestly didn't feel like I ever met anyone up northeast who was particularly unfriendly. Can you elaborate?

Boston is an amazing city, BTW. I didn't want to leave.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,669 times
Default Boston-to-Dallas transplants

Bostonian08 and SloopJohnZ,
Thank you for your thoughtful responses, especially the comparisons of the downtown areas. As a couple, we would want to find an urban neighborhood, where we could walk our dog, hit the local restaurants and catch live music, but also feel that it's quiet and safe. Boston has this if you're willing to pay, a lot. Does Big D?
Thanks, - Boston Traveler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or