U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,513,066 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving back to Texas soon and I'm getting ready to graduate from HS as well. I was thinking about different colleges in TX I wanted to attend. I was looking up random universities and came upon UTD or UT Dallas. It looks like a really good university. Not prestigious but pretty good. I was researching the programs and degrees it offers. Very nice. I was looking up videos and opinions. They all seem to agree it's a reasonable university. In my opinion, it's equivalent to UTSA. My sister actually attends UTSA and I am familiar with the area. That's actually where I'm moving back to. But UTSA isn't exactly top on my list. I wanted to know, what exactly is there to do in Dallas? What's the nightlife like? How's downtown? Is social life good? All that good stuff.

I've only been to Dallas once and it was not even Dallas. It was Fort Worth and it was TERRIBLE. We stayed at a hotel getting ready to leave the state and everything was so ugly! The grass, the landscape, the houses, it was so hideous! There was no type of new construction or anything! It looked like one giant version of San Antonio's worst hoods. And I saw cholos riding around in their 13-inch rims. It was not a pleasant experience. So that's my only view of Dallas really. What is it really like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
UTD is not in Dallas either. It's in Richardson. It's not a typical college in my opinion. When it first opened it only had upper division and graduate level classes. You could not go there as a freshman or a sophomore. And then it had a reputation of being really really hard.

So, then they add lower division classes years later. There are no traditional dorms, just apartments. There is no football team. There are a ton of international students. There are a lot of commuters. There is no typical college area surrounding the campus, ya know, shops and hangouts and whatnot, like The Drag is to UT Austin. There's nothing like that around UTD. It's suburban.

I took one class there and the class was easily two-thirds older students.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,511,098 times
UTD is still mostly an engineering and computer science school. Like FND says, there isn't a traditional campus with dorms, extracurricular activities, etc. And yes, MANY international students, non-traditional students and commuters. Personally, I would not recommend it for undergrad just because I believe that the whole "college experience" of campus life and extracurriculars is almost as important as what is learned in the classroom.

Dallas has lots of nightlife, especially in the Uptown area for young professionals. Do a search here and you'll see. Unfortunately for you, there are very few 4-year universities here. SMU is really the only one in central Dallas. U of Dallas is in Irving, UTD in Richardson, and UNT in Denton. The rest are community colleges which are just 2 years.

You need to give Fort Worth another chance. I live over here, and unless you were staying somewhere on the Northside in a seedy hotel, I can't imagine the scene you were describing... Most of Fort Worth is really nice, and we have some of the best cultural activities (museums, symphony, etc.) in the state!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 AM

Thank you guys for the advice! Wow I had no idea...I guess I can count Dallas out! I just thought it was different. But definitely thanks for the heads up! @ChristieP, your right. I'll have to visit sometime again and see the REAL sights.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
choosing a college because you like the town it is in is NOT the way to go about it

you should first of all have a plan of action about what type of work you want to do with your life--AFTER college--and what degree will allow you to put that plan into action and lay the groundwork for your advancement afterwards...

have you discussed any of this with your parents whom I assume will be paying for at least part of this adventure?
do you have a budget that you need to work with?

since you are an out of state student at this point--you are required to pay higher tuition costs than someone who is TX resident--and you have to live here for a year or so in order to become a Texas resident--

Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM

606 posts, read 1,869,863 times
actually living and going to school somewhere that you personally ENJOY is probably one of the most IGNORED factors people have when they choose a university

it is a FACT if you are not happy, not meeting people, and not being active you will hate going to that school

thinking that college is only about the piece of paper is cutting the college experience extremely short (yet sadly that is what more and more think which is why "online" is popular)

UTD is a pretty good public school and I would say it is "ranked" better than UTSA considering that UTD has the highest admissions requirements for a public university in Texas and until last year UTSA was open admissions or nearly open admissions....but you can still get a good education at UTSA

I would skip UTA as well....while it is also a good university in general it is also extremely boring and void of social life

many will say unT in Denton, but to be honest I thought Denton the twon was ok (with the exception of their stupid ideas on growth and growth planning) but the reality is that unT is still a pretty boring college town with not a lot going on (especially when comparing the reality to the hype) and you can get a better education elsewhere as well and have a much funner time doing it

if you list

your choice of degrees, what activities you like to do in your spare time, availability of funding, your demographic characteristics, and what type of grades and GPA and SAT you have I can probably help you find a university you will enjoy much more than any of the publics in the metromess

I have lived in 4 college towns in Texas and been to several others many times so I know a bit about the various places

true I can find fault with many of them just as easy as any other, but finding the ones that have a great social life for different taste, grades, and degree plans is a bit tougher

I am not saying that social life needs to be a focus and it can often be a distraction, but if you are the type that will let your social life get in the way of academics then you would not do well at a boring school anyway because you will be spending that much more time trying to socialize and probably end up doing it with people that are not in school or doing poorly in school as well

I would actually put enjoyment of time out of the classroom as a top priority for any student right below degree plan and grades to get in.......it is impossible to spend 24-7 thinking about and working on school and if you are sitting around bored school will become a chore and boring as well

Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
there are plenty of people in colleges all across the US who have no clue really about the TOWN they are living in----they are only caught up in the "college" experience
plenty of people going to college in Dallas know only the bars on Greenville-or where bands play
that is not what I call knowing your environment

I think geographical location is important because of weather associated with it--
I would not want to go to college in an area north of DFW because even in OK the weather in winter is that much more severe---and going somplace like NY state or Chicago area would just not be something I could cope with--the lack of daylight in winter would affect me too much
Tech I would not have enjoyed I think because of the wind in Lubbock--windy days drive me crazy and walking around campus in that hot, dry wind would be yuck...
but it does not seem to bother most of the people going to Tech...

so I think I could put up with some of the other negatives about towns in CA because many of them have good weather and some have spectacular weather all year long (like Santa Barbara, CA)
so location is important--

I just meant the OP should decided what s/he was interested in studying and doing for forseeable future--going to a party town and a party school is not the best way to make a life-defining decision...
which is also what you said---

Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
choosing a college because you like the town it is in is NOT the way to go about it
I'm not! But you have to know location plays a big part in the enjoyment of the college experience!

Quote:
you should first of all have a plan of action about what type of work you want to do with your life--AFTER college--and what degree will allow you to put that plan into action and lay the groundwork for your advancement afterwards...
I'm not even in college yet! So I can't imagine a plan yet on what I want to do AFTER college when I haven't even started it.

Quote:
have you discussed any of this with your parents whom I assume will be paying for at least part of this adventure?
do you have a budget that you need to work with?
I don't think my parents will be paying much of anything. They'll be signing papers but that's about it. Much of the income I will be receiving is off of my own paycheck from whatever job I will be working.

Quote:
since you are an out of state student at this point--you are required to pay higher tuition costs than someone who is TX resident--and you have to live here for a year or so in order to become a Texas resident--
Well since I'm in HS and I have one more year to finish, I figure once I'm registered in the system, I will automatically become a Texas resident again. I still have my Texas ID. Most likely, they still have me in the school system. So I'm not worried about that.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just meant the OP should decided what s/he was interested in studying and doing for forseeable future--going to a party town and a party school is not the best way to make a life-defining decision...
which is also what you said---
I'm not thinking about attending college just for the parties. I'm not the type. However, I do like nightlife to be available if I wanted to have a fun night out after a stressful week or testing week. I don't think there's anything wrong with going out and celebrating. I like to be in fun places. I don't care if UTD doesn't have the clubs or the parties right at my fingertips. As long as it has the basic transportation (no car for me) to go to grocery stores, the movies, retail stores, my job, etc. Then it's all good to me.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM

7,159 posts, read 15,871,590 times
What will your major be? Do you think you'll land any scholarships?

How about a school like Texas State (San Marcos), or even Texas Tech -- Lubbock can be a pretty fun college town if you stay near the university.

I will agree that while you shouldn't base your decision on where you'd prefer to live, going to a traditional college would be a big plus vs. a commuter school. Something about being able to live on campus, in student housing, experiencing the school environment 24x7, not having to worry about a car or other distractions, etc. is very conducive to academic success. That's why you'll see rankings like USNews taking that into account (how many students live on campus).

Anyway, most of all find schools that have a good program in the major (or potential majors) you will be undertaking. Then apply to several of them, and apply for tons of scholarships. See what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or