U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,189,749 times
Reputation: 4047

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
They built the Empire State building in the Great Depression, and that building didn't fill up until the 50s.
But look at it's use though. Office Buildings, they built it during the skyscraper wars period (and yes such a thing did exist between New York City- Chicago) it was more for an innovative and world changing cause than it was for public use. In New York City, with the amount of people living there as they did, they did think it would eventually go for great use- and it eventually did. To them it's not such a big deal.

The Museum Tower won't be the tallest building in Dallas, and it's not entirely for office use but instead for mostly residential use.

The difference is, residential towers (take Dubai, Miami, Las Vegas, Vancouver) for example are harder to maintain financially because of appreciating/depreciating values.
Which is why it's riskier to have them in the first place.

I really hope Dallas is not building this on speculation like the way Las Vegas does.

Anyone know if they took in pre-orders or something for reservations for a unit before starting construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,450,738 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
They built the Empire State building in the Great Depression, and that building didn't fill up until the 50s.
Don't compare the Empire State and Manhattan to the Museum Tower and Downtown Dallas. Especially since the Empire State is an office building and twice as tall as the Museum Tower. There is a big difference.

And OmShahi, they took preorders, but no one was buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,819 posts, read 4,236,338 times
Reputation: 2072
I find it very amusing, yet amazing that some Dallasites on here are so quick to say that Houstonians have sour grapes because they're stating the obvious. The developers in Dallas have absolutely no economic sense and seem more interested in making Dallas "look" like a city rather than "feeling" like a city.

Trust me, Houstonians have no reason to envy this. Downtown Houston already has several towers under construction and has already topped out on Main Place, which is a very nice new looking building in itself. Discovery/Hass Tower is coming along quite nicely being built around the new park that has proven to be useful as well. An Embassy Suites tower is currently under construction with a couple of new hotels on the way. All the construction that downtown Dallas has done over the years is merely catching up with what downtown Houston has already. No matter how you look at it. Furthermore, The Texas Medical Center boom hasn't missed a beat over the years, making it a very dense skyline in itself and even showing promising signs to overtake Dallas's downtown skyline in the upcoming years. Sour Grapes? I don't think so. Houston is doing just fine.

And to the person who brought up the Empire State Building being built in the middle of the Great depression, New York was still a booming city where the density allowed that building to be put to great public use. Downtown Dallas doesn't have those type of demographics to warrant that type of use for the Museum Tower. It seems that the lessons would have been painfully learned from Victory or should I say "Vacant" park. Why Dallas wants to keep shooting itself in the foot, I'll never know, but at least we can say the towers look good! Yeah! Great sales pitch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,632,994 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I find it very amusing, yet amazing that some Dallasites on here are so quick to say that Houstonians have sour grapes because they're stating the obvious. The developers in Dallas have absolutely no economic sense and seem more interested in making Dallas "look" like a city rather than "feeling" like a city.

Trust me, Houstonians have no reason to envy this. Downtown Houston already has several towers under construction and has already topped out on Main Place, which is a very nice new looking building in itself. Discovery/Hass Tower is coming along quite nicely being built around the new park that has proven to be useful as well. An Embassy Suites tower is currently under construction with a couple of new hotels on the way. All the construction that downtown Dallas has done over the years is merely catching up with what downtown Houston has already. No matter how you look at it. Furthermore, The Texas Medical Center boom hasn't missed a beat over the years, making it a very dense skyline in itself and even showing promising signs to overtake Dallas's downtown skyline in the upcoming years. Sour Grapes? I don't think so. Houston is doing just fine.

And to the person who brought up the Empire State Building being built in the middle of the Great depression, New York was still a booming city where the density allowed that building to be put to great public use. Downtown Dallas doesn't have those type of demographics to warrant that type of use for the Museum Tower. It seems that the lessons would have been painfully learned from Victory or should I say "Vacant" park. Why Dallas wants to keep shooting itself in the foot, I'll never know, but at least we can say the towers look good! Yeah! Great sales pitch!
I said that because the Empire State Building and Museum Tower were both built in bad economic times. Who gives a damn about Houston, this is about Dallas let's keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,819 posts, read 4,236,338 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I said that because the Empire State Building and Museum Tower were both built in bad economic times. Who gives a damn about Houston, this is about Dallas let's keep it that way.
Obviously you guys give a damn if Houston is jealous of your new tower that's may prove to be more expensive to maintain from asbestos and other things rather than being put to good public use. I only mentioned Houston to show you that there is no need for Houstonians to be envious of this tower! Touched a nerve did I ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,632,994 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Obviously you guys give a damn if Houston is jealous of your new tower that's just going to be more expensive to maintain it from asbestos and other things rather than being put to good use. I only mentioned Houston to show you that there is no need for Houstonians to be envious of this tower! Touched a nerve did I ?
I don't want Houston to be jealous of Dallas, trust me I don't. Maintain from asbestos they don't use asbestos in buildings anymore, it is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,819 posts, read 4,236,338 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I don't want Houston to be jealous of Dallas, trust me I don't. Maintain from asbestos they don't use asbestos in buildings anymore, it is illegal.
I wasn't being completely serious and that technical. I was just saying that the Tower is a bad idea right now and may end up sitting vacant for a long time. Believe it or not, it costs several million dollars a year just to maintain a vacant building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,189,749 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I wasn't being completely serious and that technical. I was just saying that the Tower is a bad idea right now and may end up sitting vacant for a long time. Believe it or not, it costs several million dollars a year just to maintain a vacant building.
We're spending $2 million a year on the Astrodome... and we finally now just got some use for it after 8 years of it just sitting there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,189,749 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I don't want Houston to be jealous of Dallas, trust me I don't. .
Don't worry about it, because at the end of the day Houston & Dallas are happy siblings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,632,994 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
We're spending $2 million a year on the Astrodome... and we finally now just got some use for it after 8 years of it just sitting there...
Who is using the Crapodome.....sorry I mean Astrodome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top