Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

You're looking at the entire area. I was talking about the Downtown areas of both ities, where Houston is no where near Dallas (and it really isn't if you look at the overall areas, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Downtown Houston is easily twice as large as Downtown Dallas in area alone.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I did. Its 18.4% in Houston and 26% in Dallas. Which is why I said:

"How bad is it when Houston lectures Dallas about too much vacancy when theirs is certainly nothing to jump up and down about. But its better than Dallas.'"

I stand by that.

First-quarter office vacancies hit 26 percent | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News

Houston sees highest office vacancy rate in five years - Houston Business Journal

Houston does have it a lot better in the department, but their vacancy rate is still nothing to brag about. The national average is between 14-17% depending on which source you believe.
LAnative, Scarface is right, you're comparing the entire Houston area's vacancy rates to Dallas's downtown Office rate and that is inaccurate. Houston's downtown Office vacancy rate was well below 12% in 2008/2009. That's what permitted them to be able to add two new towers over the last couple of years.
Dallas's downtown vacancy rate continues to soar above 25%.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 06-24-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
200 people show up for Museum Tower groundbreaking in Dallas Arts District | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/utilities/clickedimage/index.html (broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times
If they think they're going to be able to sell that many $1mm plus highrise condos in DTD more power to them. I predict this project will take quite a bit of time to fill. But, hey, at least the skyline will improve.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
YAY! Construction has finally started.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
LAnative, Scarface is right, you're comparing the entire Houston area's vacancy rates to Dallas's downtown Office rate and that is inaccurate. Houston's downtown Office vacancy rate was well below 12% in 2008/2009. That's what permitted them to be able to add two new towers over the last couple of years.
Dallas's downtown vacancy rate continues to soar above 25%.
Yes, I noticed after I posted it. It was too late to edit.

Either way, I agree with you guys. I dont think its the right time to put more buildings up downtown when the vacancy rate is 25%.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Read this article: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010...refscroll=1384

Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM

355 posts, read 469,259 times
The Museum tower is nice and will add greatly to the skyline, but Dallas needs to fill up the vacant buildings with AFFORDABLE residences. Prime location and nice building, but wrong time, and waay too overpriced. I also hear that another condo highrise will resume contruction by the end of the summer(Stoneleigh residence?).

I'll give alot of credit to Dallas because it is making drastic improvement in the CBD. A developer purchased alot of vacant buildings around the Joule hotel and expand it. Another big building is being renovated into a condo building(the Grand Ricci I think). The Atmos complex and the Continental building have received funding, so when the time is right, it will be renovated into residences.

The one building I really want renovated and restored is the Dallas Statler Hotel and the library, but that may become a reality because the activity in that area of downtown is thriving with new restaurants and cafes opening, a new park, and a new law school to be placed in the to-be restored old city hall building.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
The Museum tower is nice and will add greatly to the skyline, but Dallas needs to fill up the vacant buildings with AFFORDABLE residences. Prime location and nice building, but wrong time, and waay too overpriced. I also hear that another condo highrise will resume contruction by the end of the summer(Stoneleigh residence?).

I'll give alot of credit to Dallas because it is making drastic improvement in the CBD. A developer purchased alot of vacant buildings around the Joule hotel and expand it. Another big building is being renovated into a condo building(the Grand Ricci I think). The Atmos complex and the Continental building have received funding, so when the time is right, it will be renovated into residences.

The one building I really want renovated and restored is the Dallas Statler Hotel and the library, but that may become a reality because the activity in that area of downtown is thriving with new restaurants and cafes opening, a new park, and a new law school to be placed in the to-be restored old city hall building.
The only credit I give to Dallas developers is having Brass Balls, but brains? Not so much. But at least it will be a better skyline to look at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas