U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,122,584 times

Advertisements

I remember when Prestonwood Mall opened. It was the place to go back then. Town East has done alot of remodeling but I am pretty sure a mall is going to open up in Rockwall and TownEast will die like the rest of them. When it comes to malls the new ones always deal a death blow to the old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM

1,538 posts, read 6,312,218 times
I remember when VR was under construction, and when it opened. It was a big deal at the time, if I recall correctly it even made the news. This was before the explosive growth of the northern 'burbs like Frisco. At the time once you hit 35 and left Carrolton things started to thin out and look a little more rural. The mall itself seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, none of the apartments were around then. It amazing how things change, how its always on to the bright new shiny toy.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I remember when VR was under construction, and when it opened. It was a big deal at the time, if I recall correctly it even made the news. This was before the explosive growth of the northern 'burbs like Frisco. At the time once you hit 35 and left Carrolton things started to thin out and look a little more rural. The mall itself seemed to be in the middle of nowhere, none of the apartments were around then. It amazing how things change, how its always on to the bright new shiny toy.
That's nothin'. My grandfather who grew up in what is now considered "Uptown Dallas" has told me stories of how he used to milk cows & plow fields where North Park Mall stands right now. All of his immediate family is buried at that old cemetery just west of North Park. His family has an elementary school named in honor of them. They used to own a lot of acreage near Flower Mound where natural gas is being drilled for & they still own the mineral rights to it. Maybe some day I'll see a check in the mail for several Mill. I can only wish right?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 AM

1,538 posts, read 6,312,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's nothin'. My grandfather who grew up in what is now considered "Uptown Dallas" has told me stories of how he used to milk cows & plow fields where North Park Mall stands right now. All of his immediate family is buried at that old cemetery just west of North Park. His family has an elementary school named in honor of them. They used to own a lot of acreage near Flower Mound where natural gas is being drilled for & they still own the mineral rights to it. Maybe some day I'll see a check in the mail for several Mill. I can only wish right?
It's something though when you think about. I can't imagine what its like for the oldtimers. Even for me being not quite 30 the growth I have seen astonishes me. Places that I considered almost in Oklahoma as a high schooler are about to be swallowed up by the northern burbs. I've heard stories about when Casa Linda opened the residents of Dallas at the time wondered why the built a theater so far in the country, and ditto for 635.

My parents moved here right before I was born in 1980 and my mom recalls there being pasture land along the outside edge of 635.

I've always felt the growth is bittersweet, its great for the economy but in a way Dallas seems to lose itself. There's all this growth at breakneck speed but how many people know the history of the city, or the meaning behind the names on all the schools and roads.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM

164 posts, read 405,444 times
The northern expansion will likely stop when the DFW economy begins to tank. DFW has been one fo the fastest growing areas for two decades. At some point, the growth will come to a halt and people will start to move to other cities, similar to what is happening in Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburg and other cities in the Midwest. It is hard to predict if and when that will happen. DFW is still a popular place for people living in the Northeast and California and even Mexico for that matter . ..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 AM

164 posts, read 405,444 times
The kids' play area is a major attraction for most malls. VR has one of the nastiest ones that I have seen. There were 50 kids packed in an area with a square footage of a portable toilet ... lol

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It's wild, isn't it? I remember, this was probably in the late `60s or very early `70s, taking Sunday drives with my dad somewhere not too far (5 minutes or so) northeast of where we lived in the Forest Inwood area. My memory is fuzzy as I was very young, but I remember seeing fields as far as you could see. I also remember my mom had a friend with a small farm that we visited a couple of times. I'm pretty sure it was located in what is now one of our close-in suburbs but I don't know which one.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
The northern expansion will likely stop when the DFW economy begins to tank. DFW has been one fo the fastest growing areas for two decades. At some point, the growth will come to a halt and people will start to move to other cities, similar to what is happening in Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburg and other cities in the Midwest. It is hard to predict if and when that will happen. DFW is still a popular place for people living in the Northeast and California and even Mexico for that matter . ..
DFW may not always be booming like it is, I dont think we can compare it to Detroit or Cleveland. Pittsburgh is starting to rebound big time.

DFW is "Mexicanifying" faster than anywhere else in the US. That has good and negative effects. Thats the only real change.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
Actually DFW's expansion is going to be limited by its awful infrastructure. With "no money to build roads," TXDOT will continue to add capacity by building new toll-roads and adding toll facilities to existing roads until we get to a point where you can't go ANYWHERE without paying a toll.

When you combine that with housing appreciation, inflation, energy cost increases, and fairly stagnant middle-class wages you get a region that prices itself out of the market. THAT is when DFW will rot, likely from the outside in.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
INNER Dallas is putting together DART and expanding its access
FTW and other areas are not--places like Lewisville, Flower Mound, Arlington, Southlake--and most other areas outside Dallas proper -- are giving in to the auto and not taking steps to put in mass transit--
they are afraid of the backlash from their residents/tax payers but the cruel fact is that personal autos are probably on their last legs (within the next 20 yrs) if their fuel technology does not change for the better...
in 20 yrs it will be too late to start a mass transit program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas