Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,055 times

Advertisements

The problem with taking the NDT is that it tends to backup at the PGBT, and it seems to do so regardless of direction or time of day. (But I'll admit I've only seen it in the mornings as I headed north, so I'm not sure what the delay looks like.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM

443 posts, read 1,566,769 times
One of the overpasses on 121 have opened already and a second is coming soon, so once you get past the tollway interchange you should have fairly smooth sailing. However, you can only estimate how traffic patterns will change once the 121 toll road is fully operational. From my experience from Coppell to McKinney takes about an hour at 4pm, but I haven't done that route since the overpasses have opened so it could be smaller now.

Dallas North Tollway would have to be your second most viable option, sometimes traffic there can be rough trying to get onto or off of George Bush, once you get on George Bush it is fairly smooth sailing up to 7:30 except for usual backups at the toll plaza(which I never understand, I guess some folks think you have to go 40 for your tag to be read). But there really isn't any good way to go atm, the best thing to do is to try and schedule your work so you can leave before 7 and get home before 5, or conversely, leave at 9:30 and get home after 7. Honestly best option for those who work in Irving is to try to find housing in the Colleyville, Keller, Southlake, Trophy Club areas of northern Tarrant County.

I live in East Richardson atm and it takes me about 40 minutes to commute to Coppell at 6:45 going and 4:00 coming home window. If I wait 15 minutes that increases to 50 minutes up to an hour at peak time on George Bush at 8 am/5:30p.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,716 times
"Honestly best option for those who work in Irving is to try to find housing in the Colleyville, Keller, Southlake, Trophy Club areas of northern Tarrant County."

I'd have to agree.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 89,832 times
Thanks for everyone's input. His job is permanent and the house is already purchased. Guess we will (or should I say) HE will have to deal with it. Luckily, I am a SAHM! We will be West McKinney, right of 380. I have no idea the route he will take...probably try them all at different times and figure out which one is best. We kind of were counting on the tollway being open this year or the beginning of 08 to help this commute.
FWIW, I think his office is off the George Bush?
Lakewooder: I knew exactly what you meant by your comment I am actually from OKC!
Socketz: I will have to look that route up on a map...I remember Custer and that seems like it would work, too!
THANKS AGAIN!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

38 posts, read 180,278 times
DART has a program where there are vanpools from one location to another. It might be that he could catch a vanpool in Plano or Richardson and then head to Los Colinas. Also, some companies, such as Texas Instruments, organize carpools or have commuter vans as well. If he works for a large company then maybe he should look into that.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM

"We will be West McKinney, right of 380."

Ridgecrest ? or over in the new part of Stonebridge ? I know that area well, good choice.

380 to the Tollway, then down to the 190. OR Just go Custer to 121, then down the Tollway to 190. Or just take the 121 straight through. You have options for sure.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Socketz, were you here or in CA this past weekend? If you were here is your ride white?

I saw a white suv w/ cali plates on Saturday on Dallas North Tollway around Park getting an invitation to the state police officers ball.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM

No, I've been in CA for almost a week now. I return Monday of next week.

I also put TX plates on my car once I was out here for a week. I never see CA plates though...lots of Florida, AZ and various So States, but not CA. Maybe all the CA are like me and know to change the tags over ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas