Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,128 times

Advertisements

I live around the Love Field airport area in Dallas. I went home yesterday and walked to the back porch. To my surprise, two dark grey cat-like animals started running from under my porch.

They were behid the fence looking at me. Something that caugh my attention was their eyes. They looked like black buttons as opposed to the regular cat eyes that we are used to. Which tend to be more multicored eyes. Also a very pointy face. The "hair" was very charcoal grey.

In searching the net, this is the closest thing I think I saw.
https://secure2.convio.net/wc/images...lder/13405.jpg

Also found this website and that fox looks like what i saw:
Common Gray Fox (Urocyon cinereoargenteus)

How common are grey foxes in Dallas? Are they dangerous? Should I call some animal control?

HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
google Opossum ....maybe that's what you saw

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
More likely you saw a possum, but grey fox are not unheard of here.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
More likely you saw a possum, but grey fox are not unheard of here.
wow, we lived in Dallas for 13 years and never saw a possum or grey fox. We see plenty areound here. I would say it could be either. It is rare to see possums during the day, but we saw them occassionally in California. (usually early morning) here we see Fox all times of the day.

Nita

Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,761 times
Weird. Portorro, saw my first fox just last week!!

I've lived in DFW my entire life and had never, ever seen one on suburban streets before. It was in Richardson near Heights Park. DH and I were on our Vespas taking a leisurely late night ride. As I was approaching I thought it was just a very odd shaped cat...but as you said, the eyes were definitely different. As I drove closer, sure enough it was a fox. Figured DH would think I was crazy but as soon as we got the next stop sign he was excitedly asking me if I'd just witnessed a fox crossing the road.

And since we have a bit of an opossum problem in our neighborhood, I sure as heck know it wasn't an opossum. They're shaped entirely differently and move in a stealthy waddle. Ug, I hate me an opossum! They're brazen little suckers too.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,128 times
I went to youtube and looked at oppusum (and all the name variants) but i am still sure that is not what I saw. The black button like eyes, skinny, fast and a nice coat of pretty charcoal gray hair.

Kacb..nice to know I am not the only to have come accross one.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 PM

58 posts, read 141,955 times
if it didn't hiss or spit at you, it was a fox. pretty harmless unless you have small children (they won't attack them unless they are rabid) or small animals for them to hunt.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,695 times
I live in Allen, and my kids spottied this in our front yard a couple of days ago, it was just sitting there like it was guarding the house. As I crept closer to get pictures I ignored the little voice in my head saying, "this is going to end badly." Not sure if the picture makes it clear, but this thing when sitting down it was about 2 feet tall front feet to ears.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM

58 posts, read 141,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I live in Allen, and my kids spottied this in our front yard a couple of days ago, it was just sitting there like it was guarding the house. As I crept closer to get pictures I ignored the little voice in my head saying, "this is going to end badly." Not sure if the picture makes it clear, but this thing when sitting down it was about 2 feet tall front feet to ears.
That's a Bobcat. Will run before you even get too close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat

Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
It's beautiful! You are so lucky to have seen it. We had them in our creek when I was growing up and we never saw one, just found prints occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas