Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 37,155 times

Advertisements

Is there a neighborhood in Dallas that has young married professionals with kids? My husband and I are looking for an area with people that do not want to raise their kids in the suburbs. Are we the only ones?

I have searched and searched this forum and the internet in general. Everything that we find recommends Plano, Frisco or some other suburb, but we want to live in Dallas. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Oh, there are lots of kids being raised in Dallas. What else are you looking for besides it being in the city?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 PM

We are currently looking for a townhome/condo (not a highrise) in the 250k-300k price range. But even more we are looking for an area where we can walk to restaurants, parks, etc.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Why would you want to live in Dallas? The DISD is awful, traffic and crime are bad, and real estate is high in many areas? Why do you want to live in the city? The only thing I can think of that has condos/townhomes is the Turtle Creek area and the vicinity. I think they are revamping the actual downtown area. But again, unless your kids are going to private schools. I would not go to a Dallas school (unless it's one of the magnets) I would not live in Frisco either. It is growing way to fast and the infrastructure is awful too. I have lived in Dallas, Famers Branch, Carrollton, Far North Dallas and now in McKinney.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 PM

Well, you might check out the Lake Park Estates townhomes at the northeast corner of Coit and Campbell in Richardson on the Richardson Dallas border (other side of Coit is city of Dallas). It's new construction. You can walk to the grocery store, restaurants, Home Depot, Starbucks.

There are lots of kids in the single family home neighborhoods on the other 3 corners (behind the retail) and are in your price range also. It feeds into JJ Pearce High School which is a great school in the Richardson school district. The townhomes are so new I don't know if anyone has moved in yet. I heard quite a lot of them have already sold.

Lake Park Estates.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM

those definately look good.... any where else you would recommend? the brownstones in uptown or townhomes off nwparkway??
we are thinking we should rent for a while and see if we like it before we invest in a purchase.... our kids are only 3 and 4 so we see def options for child care just worried that they would not be other kids around........ but have always wanted to be downtown and do not want to go around wishing we at least tried it.....

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM

Go into whatever real estate site you are using and put in this address: 3427 RANKIN. It's a lease duplex in University Park (I believe near retail) for $2250/month. There are a million kids in U. Park, yet it's very close in.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Don't listen to the naysayers who will send you to a suburb where you will not make money on your home (or you might even lose money).

I can see you are someone who doesn't go with the flow of lemmings blinded by the big, new and modern - which ultimately prove to be meretricious.

Check out this thread for the most family-friendly place in Texas:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-lakewood.html

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks so much for the link to the other postings. This is great information. We drove by today and love the looks of the area. Only had a few minutes to drive through - can't wait to take a good look this weekend.

Thanks, again!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
I don't understand why people automatically refer to Plano, Frisco, Allen, the suburbs in general as so family friendly.

In reality those areas are one cookie-cutter neighborhood after the other. Totally indistinguishable. When I lived up in Firewheel in one of those master planned communities, I never saw children play outside. My friend who lives in Plano close to Legacy/Coit is a typical Plano family example, where the parents are working all day and the kid goes to school. There is nothing to do except go shopping, rent a movie or go to church. If this is your idea of family live, then Frisco, Plano or whatever suburb is currently popular for families is ok.

I'm with Lakewooder. Find a house south of LBJ within 5 miles of 75. Close to white rock lake are many wonderful neighborhoods where your kids can ride bikes or play in really nice parks. It also isn't as homogenized and chain-corporate as up in the 'burbs. And you might even be able to build a tree house in a big, mature tree in your backyard...

If you can't handle DISD, save and pay for private school. It is worth not having to live in a wasteland.

Also be cautious of big houses without shade, like so many in the suburbs. My electric bill last year in the 4000sf house without shade trees was around $600 with the thermostat set to 78. Glad I don't live there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas