Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
According to Clarence its 30 minutes to cross the Metroplex yet you said it took you an hour & gave him a thumbs up for that statement?

There is some slight discrepancy going on there.
Because I took it to mean from downtown Dallas to downtown FTW. Which crossing would be about 30 minutes.
Since he did mention "city center" from both Dallas & FTW and again for Houston and Galveston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I love Galveston but it's really not Houston (which I also love to visit -- but hey I'm a proud Dallasite and my mission in life is to tease them).

As jennifw points out it's almost as easy (or maybe easier) to hop on Southwest to New Orleans for Mardi Gras as it is to drive to the one in Galveston - from Houston even. Getting stuck on that causeway and the Gulf Freeway is not fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Let me just say, i hate driving anywhere in the metroplex because nothing takes you under 30, driving the tollway from pgbt to 35e will take over 30 min
How slow do you drive? No offense. But I can be from 190 & 78 travel to 75 south to LBJ west to DNT south to the AAC in afternoon rush hour traffic in an hour. PARKED. We go this way right now due to the construction on Woodall Rogers. On 190 from 78 I can be at 35E in 30 minutes easy. To the airport parked at the Park N Fly in an hour easy in morning rush hour. Last weekend I drove to downtown Ft Worth twice and from 190 & 78 it took me right at an hour.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 01-25-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
According to Clarence its 30 minutes to cross the Metroplex yet you said it took you an hour & gave him a thumbs up for that statement?

There is some slight discrepancy going on there.

Because she is driving from Northeast Garland to Fort Worth. I said downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth, the two anchors of the metroplex.

Reading wasn't your best subject in school, was it? Obviously it doesn't take an hour to get from one fringe end of the metroplex to the other. It sure as hell doesn't take less than an hour to get from most parts of Houston to Galveston, either.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 PM

333 posts, read 638,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Because I took it to mean from downtown Dallas to downtown FTW. Which crossing would be about 30 minutes.

How slow do you drive? No offense. But I can be from 190 & 78 travel to 75 south to LBJ west to DNT south to the AAC in afternoon rush hour traffic in an hour. PARKED. We go this way right now due to the construction on Woodall Rogers. On 190 from 78 I can be at 35E in 30 minutes easy. To the airport parked at the Park N Fly in an hour easy in morning rush hour. Last weekend I drove to downtown Ft Worth twice and from 190 & 78 it took me right at an hour.
It's not so much the driving on the highway. It's getting to and getting off once you get somewhere, stopping at lights, etc. Getting across Dallas is time consuming, let alone the entire metroplex. AND IM YOUNG!! OF COURSE I SPEED

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
The determining factor for me between Houston and Dallas in the weather.

In Houston I feel like I am breathing a towel. The humidity is very high there.

Houston also gets the fallout from the hurricanes and sees flooding because of it. I just cannot tolerate that weather. It's a great place to visit, though. My aunt and uncle have lived there for decades and would not ever consider moving away.

I guess I am simply a Dallas girl. Actually, more of a Ft. Worth girl but they are only 30 miles apart with quite a few things to do inbetween them.

Both Dallas and Houston are vibrant cities. They are both heavily involved in defining Texas. I like them both but I'd take Dallas over Houston for the reasons mentioned.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:02 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
Quote:
So after months (over a year) of speculation on these forums & supposed confirmation by the company themselves they have not even begun to move dirt yet? Do they even have a sign on the property where it is going to be built?

There is always a chance they're not going to follow through or decide to open one somewhere else.

Being a relatively small company its very likely.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer here just sayin' don't get your hope up high just yet till you see some action at the site.

The very same thing happened here when there was supposed to be a Hooters opening in Tyler. They had the sign up & everything. We got a Carino's, NEWK's, & BJ's brewhouse instead so we got 3 for 1 in the end...I can live with that.

Don't count your chickens till they've actually hatched.
Umm...NO.

Frisco IN-N-OUT Today:
Attached Thumbnails
Battle on dallas vs. Houston-n-out-frisco-1-25-11.jpg  

Last edited by TowerGuy; 01-25-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Drove to Downtown Ft Worth twice last weekend. From my spot in a far northeast burb of Dallas to downtown FTW took just about an hour. Actually, the first trip took 58 minutes from garage to parking at the convention center. Second trip took about 64 minutes from garage to hotel in downtown FTW on Main St.

Last September on a Sunday afternoon drove from the race track southwest of Houston (MSR) off of 288 to Galveston on the Seawall. From pulling out of the racetrack parking to the hotel valet on the Seawall took a little over an hour. About an hour and 15 minutes or so. Did not go thru downtown Houston at all to get there and there was very little traffic.

I live in far east Dallas/Mesquite and I have to drive to Fort Worth all the time. Since I grew up there and my family and most of my lifelong friends live there, I am there almost once a week. Of course, I'm not foolish enough to do it during rush hour, but it never takes me more than an hour to get to my family or my friends' houses. 45 minutes is an average time, probably.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Because she is driving from Northeast Garland to Fort Worth. I said downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth, the two anchors of the metroplex.

Reading wasn't your best subject in school, was it? Obviously it doesn't take an hour to get from one fringe end of the metroplex to the other. It sure as hell doesn't take less than an hour to get from most parts of Houston to Galveston, either.
THE HELL IT DOESN'T!!!

Mapquest Rockwall to Saginaw & see what you get then get back at me.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Umm...NO.

Frisco IN-N-OUT Today:
Oh, now come on. You photo shopped that

Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
THE HELL IT DOESN'T!!!

Mapquest Rockwall to Saginaw & see what you get then get back at me.

I'll be damned. That was a brain fart/poor editing on my end. It should have read "Obviously, it does take more than an hour..."

Good bull, Matt! You win this round.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Galveston itself is a lovely town, but that beach is ICK NASTY

When I was in the mood for the beach, I saved up on airfare and flew to Florida or Mexico or drove my car out to Pensacola.

Ocean City and VA Beach are the closest to me now, but the traffic getting there in the summertime is HORRIBLE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas