Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

We could always copy it for you. You big turtlehead you.

I've thought of doing ignore on several posters but that would take all the fun out of it. I kind of get a good laugh out of their preposterous comments. Everyone needs some laughter
Fail

I take it you've never seen Austin Powers.

That's my new pet name for him, Turtlehead since he came up with come for me. I feel so loved now.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-27-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A lone 23 story building?

Have you even seen the two new 300 something foot tall twin condos that were built just a few years ago right on the water?

How about the new 400 ft. tall condo in Clear Lake?

Shows how much you know.

Jesus Christ, we have to count every time a couple of <400ft. buildings are thrown together? This is going to take a while.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
HEY!!! We have several 2 story office buildings as well as several 5-8 story office buildings over here in Garland which is a suburb of Dallas. Don't forget those

Haha, don't forget about Mesquite's skyline! They have that radio tower, Town East Mall, and a single building that measures maybe five or six stories tall just south of NMHS on 635. I think it's only fair we add Mesquite's skyline to these rankings.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Jesus Christ, we have to count every time a couple of <400ft. buildings are thrown together? This is going to take a while.
We sure do have to count the 400 footers. Houston has more than most cities, including Dallas & its bullied little brother Fort Worth combined.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
We sure do have to count the 400 footers. Houston has more than most cities, including Dallas & its bullied little brother Fort Worth combined.

You really need to get out more.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
From "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe:

July 4 was not the time of year for anyone to be introduced to Houston, Texas, although just what the right time would be was hard to say. For eight months Houston was an unbelievably torrid effluvial sump with a mass of mush asphalt, known as Downtown, set in the middle. Then for two months, starting in November, the most amazing winds came sweeping down from Canada, as if down a pipe, and the humid torpor turned to wet chill. The remaining two months were the moderate ones, although not exactly what you would call spring. The clouds closed in like a lid and the oil refineries over by Galveston Bay saturated the air, the nose, the lungs, the heart, and the soul with the gassy smell of oil funk. There were bays, canals, lakes, lagoons, bayous everywhere, all of them so greasy and toxic that if you trailed your hand in the water off the back of a rowboat you would lose a knuckle. The fishermen used to like to tell the weekenders, “Don’t smoke out there or you’ll set the bay on fire.” All the poisonous snakes known to North America were in residence there: rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths, and corals.

No, there was no best time to be introduced to Houston, Texas, but July 4 was the worst. And it was on July 4, 1962, that the seven Mercury astronauts moved to Houston. For the prodigious effort that Kennedy's moon program would require, NASA was building a Manned Spacecraft Center on a thousand acres of cattle pasture south of Houston near Clear Lake, which was not a lake but an inlet and was about as clear as the eyeballs of a poisoned bass…

They stepped out of the airplane at the Houston airport and started gulping in the molten air. It was 96 degrees... Pretty soon they're moving through the streets of Houston at a good clip, and it seems painless enough, but then all seven cars head down a ramp, into the bowels of an arena called the Houston Coliseum.

A bone-splitting chill hits them. They shudder and shake their heads... The place is air-conditioned Houston-style, which is to say, within an inch of your life. There is a whole army of frozen people waiting down there... endless rows of marching bands in uniform, standing there like ice sculpture, politicians... too cold to open their mouths... and more. Then they turn right around and head out of the underground parking lot, up the ramp and back out into the blast of sunlight, a hundred degrees of heat, and the asphalt, which was lying there heaving and rippling in the caloric waves…

The seven pilots and their wives thought they had seen every sort of parade there was, but this one was sui generis. There were thousands of people lining the streets. They did not make a sound, however. They stood there four and five deep at the curbs, sweating and staring. They sweated a river and they stared ropes. They just stared and sweated... they didn't even smile…

Of course, anyone fool enough to stand around in the asphalt mush of Downtown at noon watching a parade was obviously defective to begin with.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
DANG! I can't do the official counting this weekend. I'll be in the MOST wonderful and best EVER city in the ENTIRE state of Texas.......... Houston.

I'll have to start helping count on Monday. I better sharpen my pencils.

Quote:
Haha, don't forget about Mesquite's skyline! They have that radio tower, Town East Mall, and a single building that measures maybe five or six stories tall just south of NMHS on 635. I think it's only fair we add Mesquite's skyline to these rankings.
OHHHH.... OHHHH..... OHHHHH! Do we get to count the big air seperation tanks? That means that the Houston cheerleader can count all of the smoke stacks and oil refineries.

What about 3 story houses?
Parking garages?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
DANG! I can't do the official counting this weekend. I'll be in the MOST wonderful and best EVER city in the ENTIRE state of Texas.......... Houston.

I'll have to start helping count on Monday. I better sharpen my pencils.

OHHHH.... OHHHH..... OHHHHH! Do we get to count the big air seperation tanks? That means that the Houston cheerleader can count all of the smoke stacks and oil refineries.

What about 3 story houses?
Parking garages?

Jeez, I don't how much more reputation I have to spread around before I can give it to you again, but it's coming one of these days.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM

In Dallas they count who has the biggest hair, most plastic surgeries, & flyest prairie dresses.

BTW Dallas can thank Houston for inventing the silicone breast implants.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-27-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM

In Tyler they count who has the most teeth to see who's going to be the mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas