Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 AM

6 posts, read 29,440 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with getting a transfer for an elementary in Plano ISD? It seems everyone says that most elementary schools in Plano are great and many have exemplary ratings. However, I am concerned about the limitied English proficiency in some of the schools. We have found a few houses in the Skaggs district and greatschools.net reports a LEP rating of 16%. That seems high to me. There seems to be a school every couple of miles, so I wondered if getting a transfer would be possible. I've been told by a couple of people in Plano that Mathews elementary is the way to go, but there just aren't any houses for sale that meet our criteria in that area right now (I really don't want to go over $300K--which rules out most houses that go to Barksdale.) Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Transfers

Dealt with it several years ago. We had moved within Plano and my son wanted to remain in the school he was in. The school he had previously attended was so crowded they weren't even granting transfers to previous students like him! In the end, he was allowed to transfer back there. But essentially what we were told then (and this was 6 or 7 years ago) was that it depended on how crowded or not the school is, whether they have vacancies or not. You can usually call the school district and they can tell you whether a certain school is crowded or not. If there is room, the transfer will be granted. At least this is how it use do be when I dealt with it.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM

71 posts, read 343,820 times
Transfers are evaluated considering building capacity, current enrollment, growth projections, boundary issues, renovation projects, teacher allocation (addition or reduction), class sizes, and student’s behavior and attendance history.

Here is the information on Pisd's web site.
Intra-District Transfers : Plano ISD

Old 06-20-2007, 11:20 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
I don't know if I'd worry too much about the LEP figures for Skaggs. If you look at the demographic data for the school, only 2% are on free/reduced lunch, which is a fair indicator of the economic background of the parents. If you look at ethnicity, 60% of the kids are either Asian, 57% or Hispanic, 3%; the two groups most likely to speak English as a second language. And the school has an Exemplary rating from the state.

As a former school trustee at another district, I'd be very interested in speaking with the parents, administration and staff at Davis Elementary. They are also rated as Exemplary, even with 38% of their kids on free or reduced lunch, and 34% of their kids are LEP.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:01 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Most of the Elementary schools in Plano are very strict about inter-district transfers. I know the people on the other side of the wall from my apartment building are denied access to Centennial and they could walk to it....instead they send the kids to an elementary about 2.5 miles away. Mathews is going to be in high demand, and in turn that keeps the home values in Russell Creek and surrounding areas higher than most....

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
Not wanting to cause anything but feel I need to express my opinion...

I have a problem with the concern that many parents have about LEP students. Quite honestly many of the students that are LEP students generally are very high performing and do very well in schools once they grasp the English language. I happen to work in a high ESL/ELL school and these students are some of the highest performing students. Exemplary school to boot.

Many of the students come from families that want only the best for their children and education is a priority. I think that people are concerned that their children won't receive quality education because of the language students. Quite the opposite occurs in most quality districts. The districts are setting the standards high and expect all students to learn to their highest potential.

I still hope my child who is anglo will have the opportunity to grow and learn with children of all backgrounds. I like most parents want my child to be in a quality school both in safety and academics. I still say research what you want for your child but keep an open mind and visit schools if you have a concern. You might be quite please with what you actually see rather than just listening to the news.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I always liked having the ESL kids around when my son was in public school. I thought it helped him have a world view. At his public school there was a 15% Hebrew as a first language population.

I have had teacher friends tell me the free lunch percentage tells you more than the ESL percentage. They told me they would much rather have high ESL than high free lunch population.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,457 times
It would be nice? Yeah right. I would like fok MY kids that go to Skaggs not to be called Ghosty, Whighty, Meat Eater, Animal Killer, Poop Head (In languages the teschers don't speak) Most classes have about 4% "WHITE". When the classes are 96% forign comprised of ANY race it is terrible. My kids DON'T learn nearly as well as they could if the numbers were less MULTICULTURAL.
MOST students speak little or NO English at skaggs. Teachers spend far too much time on forign students. It has nothing to do with MONEY, It has to do with discrimination and at Skaggs if you are white life will not be good. There is no Christmass, No Presidents Day, No Halloween, No American Holidays of any kind allowed because it might make some non-English speaking person feel bad????? Forign Holidays are fine and encuraged. Check it out for yourself, go there and LOOK.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,457 times
FYI, Skaggs is 67% ESL..... WOW

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISD View Post
It would be nice? Yeah right. I would like fok MY kids that go to Skaggs not to be called Ghosty, Whighty, Meat Eater, Animal Killer, Poop Head (In languages the teschers don't speak) Most classes have about 4% "WHITE". When the classes are 96% forign comprised of ANY race it is terrible. My kids DON'T learn nearly as well as they could if the numbers were less MULTICULTURAL.
MOST students speak little or NO English at skaggs. Teachers spend far too much time on forign students. It has nothing to do with MONEY, It has to do with discrimination and at Skaggs if you are white life will not be good. There is no Christmass, No Presidents Day, No Halloween, No American Holidays of any kind allowed because it might make some non-English speaking person feel bad????? Forign Holidays are fine and encuraged. Check it out for yourself, go there and LOOK.
Since this thread was started almost four years ago, I doubt that the OP really cares any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas