U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
MxL MxL started this thread

92 posts, read 478,649 times

Advertisements

If you had a job in or near Lakewood, where would you rather live ($300,000 to spend) - A smaller, older ranch on a mid-sized or smaller lot in Lakewood, OR a big, shiny new house with a big lot (>0.2 acre) in Plano or a similar suburb.... and why?

The question will probably become - is the lifestyle, etc., in Lakewood special enough to warrant a step down in home for the $$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,514,867 times
I don't think anyone on this forum wants me to answer your question!

I will say that once you are in Lakewood, you don't ever want to leave.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM

982 posts, read 899,228 times
Smaller, older ranch on a mid-sized or smaller lot in Lakewood, no question. I feel your pain when you see one of those DR Horton monstrosities with brand new appliances, walk-in closets, huge bathrooms, and a pricetag of under $200K. BUT, you'd be in Plano. And your job would be in Lakewood, and YOU'd be in traffic 10 times a week.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:29 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,643,172 times
since your job is in Lakewood...Lakewood hands down.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,392,029 times
Well, you would be going against traffic. If I had kids I'd probably chose Plano. If not, Lakewood.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM

11,918 posts, read 22,188,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Well, you would be going against traffic. If I had kids I'd probably chose Plano. If not, Lakewood.

Just curious, why? The instruction at Lakewood Elementary School is superior to most (not all, but most) elementary schools in Plano, Richardson, Allen, Frisco, etc. Plano ISD spends the ENTIRE school year teaching towards the TAKS tests. The teachers in most subjects have no freedom/ability/support to tailor the curriculum to each year's class. My best friend teaches in the district (4th year) and that is her biggest gripe. You can't even challenge the kids academically who need it. Lakewood spends less time teaching to the test (For equal or better TAKS scores) and more time in challenging curriculum.

I realize the "diversity" at Woodrow Wilson HS may seem scary to a lot of suburbanites, but the school is ranked higher than all the suburban high schools, with the exception of Colleyville HS, JJ Pearce (Richardson) HS, Richardson HS, Grapevine HS, and Plano West is only 60 spots (in the entire US) higher ranked than Woodrow Wilson. Plano Senior is 160 spots lower ranked, and Plano East is 436 lower @ #858.

Oh, and in Lakewood, kids have "spontaneous" play dates...just ring the neighbors doorbells until you find some friend who are home. Then ride your bikes over to the park or up to Lakewood Elementary school to play in the field, or maybe up to TCBY at Mockingbird & Abrams since you don't have to cross a major street to get there. Vs Plano where life is more structured & scheduled and you have to get past gate guards to get into the next subdivision over. Yuick!

I would pick Lakewood, hands down. The architecture, the trees, the lake, the people, the restaurants, the Lakewood Country Club. Why make that awful communte down 75 or Tollroad and then all the way across town to Lakewood? That's at least an hour each direction, probably closer to 70-80 minutes EACH WAY!! All to live in a frivilous McMansion because it's the most house you can get for your $300k.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,514,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
..just ring the neighbors doorbells until you find some friend who are home. Then ride your bikes over to the park or up to Lakewood Elementary school to play in the field, or maybe up to TCBY at Mockingbird & Abrams since you don't have to cross a major street to get there.
That took me back - also you can go to White Rock Lake or explore the numerous creeks -- lifelong friends to find on every block and precious memories to build.

Yes it's still the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and the 20s, 30s, 40s in Lakewood! Go to Lakewood Parade on Saturday and you will swear Norman Rockwell dreamed up the whole thing!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
MxL MxL started this thread

92 posts, read 478,649 times
Quote:
Why make that awful communte down 75 or Tollroad and then all the way across town to Lakewood? That's at least an hour each direction, probably closer to 70-80 minutes EACH WAY!! All to live in a frivilous McMansion because it's the most house you can get for your $300k.
I get what you're saying about the charm of the area, the architecture, proximity to culture and entertainment, and other positives (especially the traffic issue), but seriously, what's so wrong with wanting to get a lot of house for your money? Some people respond to that as if it's the ultimate sin. Space, less maintainence worries, and modern features are nice to have too.

It's hard to choose between the two alternatives, but the traffic seems to be the biggest con.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,963,454 times
I'm feeling generous today, so I'll give Lakewooder some free ammo.:

Quote:
a big, shiny new house with a big lot (>0.2 acre) in Plano
Plano is 95+% built out, and the little new construction you can find is going to be more than $300K. As for the acreage - unless you're spending 7 figures, "big lot" and "Plano" don't belong in the same sentence. For $300K, you can get a nice big house with excellent schools, but it will be 10-20 years old and on a postage-stamp sized lot.

----

Quote:
Plano ISD spends the ENTIRE school year teaching towards the TAKS tests.
Not my experience.
Quote:
You can't even challenge the kids academically who need it.
Again, not my experience. Plano ISD has a rigorous. well-defined G&T program that runs up through 10th grade.
Quote:
but the school is ranked higher than all the suburban high schools, with the exception of Colleyville HS, JJ Pearce (Richardson) HS, Richardson HS, Grapevine HS, and Plano West is only 60 spots (in the entire US) higher ranked than Woodrow Wilson. Plano Senior is 160 spots lower ranked, and Plano East is 436 lower @ #858.
The Newsweek rankings use criteria that are, to put it politely, controversial. Plano ISD has a lower dropout rate and a higher AP passing rate than Woodrow Wilson, and a much higher percentage of National Merit Semi-Finalists.
Quote:
Oh, and in Lakewood, kids have "spontaneous" play dates...just ring the neighbors doorbells until you find some friend who are home.
As if this doesn't happen in Plano?
Quote:
and you have to get past gate guards to get into the next subdivision over. Yuick!
It's pretty clear you haven't actually spent much time in Plano if you think this is true. There are only a handful of gated communities in Plano, almost all in the Willow Bend area, where the homes start close to $1 million. In the $300K range, I can't think of ANY gated communities. Next time, talk about what you DO know, not what you don't. Mmmmkay?
Quote:
All to live in a frivilous McMansion because it's the most house you can get for your $300k.
If we were talking a McMansion-sized budget ($500K to $700K), you could make a case for both neighborhoods.

But we're not - we're a step or two below that point. At $300K, the OP is priced out of decent housing stock in Lakewood. Instead, you're comparing decent houses in Plano to undesirable properties in Lakewood.

I don't see much in Lakewood on ebby.com that can come close to competing with what you can get in Plano in that price range.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM

23,972 posts, read 32,691,527 times
I agree with Big G. If you had twice the budget, Lakewood no question. But $300k? I don't think you would be happy with what you could afford in Lakewood on that budget if you are even tempted to live in Plano.

Try splitting the difference and looking elsewhere (Richardson or north Dallas).

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or