Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times

Advertisements

Is the prairie beautiful?

Well, define beauty. Is the georgia pine forest better looking than Lindsey Lohan? How about Scarlett Johansen? Is she more beautiful than the North Texas prairie?

I've raised these ridiculous questions to point out how absurd and inappropriate is the word "beauty" when you use it to describe a landscape. It's an illiterate practice. A better term would be "scenic".

So, is a solid pine forest more scenic than the North Texas landscape of mixed forest and grassland, forested creeks and huge lakes? I live on the edge of the Cross Timbers forest here in Savannah development, and I can assure you that the roads and horse ranches around the town of Aubrey are very picturesque. The rolling grassland and tree lines between Savannah and Frisco are pretty cute, with some hilly parts, different colors of green, bluebonnets on the hillsides in the spring. Replacing all of this plant diversity with a Georgia pine forest would spoil it.

If I drive a few miles north to Lake Texoma, I see an entirely different kind of country. The lake itself is stunning, with high bluffs over the water, a rocky coastline, many pleasant coves and bays... gorgeous. Is Atlanta surrounded by many lakes and beaches, as we have here in North Texas? I don't see that kind of landscape when I fly into Hartsfield, but I do when I fly into DFW.

When I go to the Panhandle and spend time in Caprock Canyons or Palo Duro Canyon, that is an entirely different piece of scenery, very different from North Texas. And to be fair to Atlanta, the nearby Smokies are pretty scenic as well. But we're not comparing the Smokies to the Texas Caprock, we're comparing the immediate environs of DFW to that of ATL.

Last edited by aceplace; 02-28-2008 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, IT IS a thing of beauty. I've been on flatter plains that what can be found here in North Texas (try the wheat fields of Kansas) and there is nothing like seeing the sunrise or set for miles and miles and miles. As far as the eye can see the horizon and the whole entire world stretches out in front of you. Much like sitting on the beach and staring endlessly out into the open waters. Or better yet, being on a boat (not a HUGE cruise ship) far enough out that one can not see land nor any other human being or manmade object................... it is TRULY something to behold. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So be it ! After all, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And if you and your pal Aceplace say you find the praire country beautiful, than who am I to tell you differently. You have your own opinions which include your views of what beauty is just as I have mine.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:28 AM

31 posts, read 122,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well we know who wears boots and can win a bar fight..
Wow. I am sure you have that phrase in your bumpersticker along with your favorite Charlie Daniels cd. John Wayne would be proud. But maybe one day you might be more original and not so much of a Texas cliche...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Yeah but what about my gun rack in my pickup, my chewing tabacco and enormous Stetson?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM

31 posts, read 122,641 times
Quote:
Yeah but what about my gun rack in my pickup, my chewing tabacco and enormous Stetson?
I rest my case.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 76,380 times
I've lived in Dallas and Atlanta.

Atlanta is much prettier with lots of vegatation and rolling hills.
Dallas is a burnt flat cow pasture.

TRAFFIC:
Dallas traffic is busy, but tolerable. Wide open spaces.
Atlanta traffic is impossible. Most only know one part of the city.

WEATHER
Dallas gets 6 weeks over 100 degrees on average.
Atlanta rarely gets over 90 degrees, but 2 months are humid.

HOUSING
Roughly similiar, but there are NO sidewalks in Atlanta.
Feel like a piece of veal. No wonder they are fatter.

SEGRATION
Atlanta is HIGHLY segrated. Gwinnett county is very white & very low crime.
They do things to keep it that way such as NO buses in Gwinnett.
Dallas is mixed and alot of crime everywhere. Count on car break in once a year.

ACTIVITIES
There are more festivals and activities in Dallas,
but I missed the boiled peanuts & Sourwood honey of Atlanta.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
turtleman
Member Join Date: Jan 2008
31 posts, read 6,049 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder

I rest my case.

Well Turtleman, that just knocked the cow patties off my boots. I guess I'll have to go back to my double wide on Turtle Creek and think of somethin' to post.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM

152 posts, read 673,783 times
Quote:
turtleman
Member Join Date: Jan 2008
31 posts, read 6,049 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder

I rest my case.

Well Turtleman, that just knocked the cow patties off my boots. I guess I'll have to go back to my double wide on Turtle Creek and think of somethin' to post.

lol lakewooder

Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC58 View Post
Atlanta rarely gets over 90 degrees, but 2 months are humid.
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that ! You must have lived in far,
very far north ATL ?
Now I lived in ATL from Jan., 1995 until Feb., 1996. So obviously since I was there for 12 continuous months I experienced the entire climate cycle.
We hit 101 degrees one day, and I'm pretty sure it was late in June. So I dunno where that "rarely gets over 90 degrees" came from ?
Now I will say this, there was also a stretch in July or August that lasted a couple weeks where the temp never got above the high 70s. It was almost Fall like, and it would be unusual to see that kind of weather in Texas in June.
But we had heat in the summer of '95, plenty of it. Hey, they don't call it
"Hotlanta" for nuttin.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Dallas is a way better city for African Americans. Dallas has an extremely rich African American city. Sure we might not have many Hip-Hop artists (I wish we did.) But remember, not only do you have Dallas, you have Fort Worth, and Arlington, which makes three huge cities next to each other. All these cities have a sizable African American community. I believe Dallas is around 25% black. Nowhere else in the United States have I seen as many African American white collar men and women than in Dallas/Fort Worth. Oh, by the way, I'm not black either, and I'm saying this, so now you can get an outsiders point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
Have you been to Washington DC? I would hazard a guess that it would blow the Dallas numbers out of the water, and they pay a whole lot better than Texas, non-union wages as well........
Even Houston would for that matter. I'm a Houstonian and a degreed systems engineer. I have lived and traveled to many places. Most recently I lived in Arlington, TX and now back in Houston. Dallas has it's fair share of black professionals but it would be a stretch to say it has the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas