Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,108 times

Advertisements

Mrs. Erickson,

Do you remember when the Garland Bank Building opened?

I would say based on the architecture, between 1961-1963. However, the appraisal lists the building as being constructed in 1965. By 1965 the architecture and design of the 60s had changed dramatically (In a BAD way!). Can you help clear this up?

My user name Jay Watson, is named after a local news reporter from WFAA Channel 8. Mr. Watson was program director at WFAA from 1960-1966. He was a fine reporter, and the first to deliver the news of the Kennedy assassination in 1963. Do you remember any of the shows he hosted in the early 1950s?

Do you remember the Julie Benell cooking show? This show was on in the 1950s-early 60s. Not sure when or why it went away

Glad you enjoyed the thread!

Last edited by Jay Watson; 03-22-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Mrs. Erickson,

Do you remember when the Garland Bank Building opened?

I would say based on the architecture, between 1961-1963. However, the appraisal lists the building as being constructed in 1965. By 1965 the architecture and design of the 60s had changed dramatically (In a BAD way!). Can you help clear this up?

My use name Jay Watson, is named after a local news reporter from WFAA Channel 8. Mr. Watson was program director at WFAA from 1960-1966. He was a fine reporter, and the first to deliver the news of the Kennedy assassination in 1963. Do you remember any of the shows he hosted in the early 1950s?

Do you remember the Julie Benell cooking show? This show was on in the 1950s-early 60s. Not sure when or why it went away

Glad you enjoyed the thread!

Since she apparently wasn't even born until around 1959, I doubt that she'd remember. But maybe her mom or brother will. I think that 1965 is about right for that bank building.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM

38 posts, read 121,407 times
Thank you Sandy - for that trip down memory lane about the Garland shopping center. My family and I moved to Dallas in the summer of '65, and even though we lived in a diffrent area, I was intoduced to Garland and that very shopping center by a guy I started dating that fall. He lived off of North Garland Road (when it was just all land around his subdivision) and was getting ready to graduate from Garland High. I also shopped at the Sterns dress shop(I would have NEVER remembered that name, so thanks for that also) I was looking for a coat and he took me there. They did have cute clothes.

Also, wasn't there a seed/plant store that was accross the street from the shopping center? I remember buying some real great flowers and plants, but I don't remember where for sure. We went to the Gates BBQ - and also, where was the K-Mart? Was that on Forrest Lane -close to Miller? I remember Mike had some friends that lived close to it and we went to that store a couple of times. It had a really old sign also. I know that's been gone for awhile. And the Villa Pizza sign (or is it Pizza Villa?) that was in a recent post, was that in Garland or Richardson? Went there a few times - can't remember...had the BEST pizza. Great place for a date - a very long time ago....

Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 24,547 times
Mrs. Erickson,

Do you remember when the Garland Bank Building opened? Can you help clear this up? No, I'm sorry, but it's "always" been there in my memory. I'll ask my Mom and brother to see what they remember. Sorry.

My user name Jay Watson, is named after a local news reporter from WFAA Channel 8. Do you remember any of the shows he hosted in the early 1950s?
Sorry again, but the TV personalities that I remember from back then (without looking any of them up) are more kid-related, like Mr. Peppermint, Ikky Twerp and the Slam Bang Theater, the Three Stooges, Romper Room and the very rare Davey and Goliath, claymation figures' show...it was a Lutheran thing! :-) And then later on, who could forget Dark Shadows????? It came on every weekday at 3pm and that was when I got out of school. Since I lived right across the street from the school, I would race home and turn on the TV as soon as I could...remember when the TV's had to "warm up" before you could see the picture?

Does anyone remember getting their family getting their first COLOR TV? Ours was a CONSOLE COLOR TV. We thought we were in HIGH COTTON! We still had to deal with "rabbit ears" and since I was the youngest, I was the remote control. "Sandy would you get up and change the channel to ___? Sandy would you get up and turn the volume up? Sandy would you get up and move the rabbit ears to see if the reception will improve? UGH!"

My friend's Mom used to watch some cooking show where she was always trying to write down the recipes before the ingredients flew off the screen. I remember her being frustrated a LOT! :-) It could've been the Julie Benell show, but I don't remember that name. The cooking show I referenced above would've been shown from about '64-'69.

Who out there was a paper boy? My brother was. Boy, was I impressed with his ability to ride a bike and throw newspapers so FAR! (Remember, he was 10 years older than me. I was easily impressed!)

UGH! I had typed a LOT more to this entry and then flipped back to page 8 to look something up and when I came back to my post, everything I had typed beyond this point (I had copied up to this point previously in case something like this happened when looking back at previous pages, but forgot this time) was GONE! UGH. Guess I will reply in each of your entries instead of trying to do just one long one.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Sandy, I remember everything you stated and we are probably about the same age with similar experiences. I didn't live in your area, but south of you in Orchard Hills (went to Caldwell, Memorial Jr High, and SGHS). Still, this shopping center is very much a part of my past. And yes, we went to all of the Garland HS games too when I was young. My brother graduated from GHS in 1962.

I rode my stingray to Orchard Hills center to the Piggly Wiggly for the 25 cent loaf of bread, or to Rexall when my mom would give me a nickel for an ice cream cone as a treat.
ETex2, did you know someone named Sherri Edmonson at Memorial Jr. High? I used to dance with her and some others, but I'm not sure where they went to school. Their names were Pam Pryor, Paula Evans, Karen Morgan...can't remember anyone else without looking them up.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I remember the Central Park pool quite well but don't remember the tags. The only thing I didn't like about it was the sprayer that you had to walk under when you entered or exited the pool area - that water was cold! Spent lots of time there until they built the Pecan Grove pool at Glenbrook and Centerville. Then it was bicycling distance for me. Almost every day in the summer.

The old bowling alley on Saturn Road at Miller was Fiesta Lanes. Spent many a Saturday there. My best friend and I thought we were cool to buy a pack of cigarettes from the machine and act like high schoolers while bowling when we were just 12 or 13. I smoked more cigarettes at Fiesta Lanes during one year than I did for the rest of my life. Never took it up. Thought it was outrageous that cokes at the soda fountain were 15 cents when they were 10 cents everywhere else.

The big parade in Garland was the Labor Day parade, which always coincided with the Jaycee Jubilee at Central Park. I have pics from my garage band playing there during the battle of the bands and at the dances in the gym. This would have been around 1967-68. The first year I got my driver's license I got to drive the SG cheerleaders in the parade in a Pontiac convertible furnished by my best friend's dad, the local Pontiac dealer.

Peace Lutheran Church on First Street was next door to my junior high. There were lots of fights after school, and the combatants always met behind the church on their property since fighting on school grounds would get you expelled.
I had forgotten about the sprayer at the Central Park Pool. YES, it was COLD!

Thanks for reminding me that the bowling alley was Fiesta Lanes. Seems like they had some sort of cool neon thing going on, on the front of the building...like there was bowling pins outlined in neon and a neon bowling ball would "roll" down the wall and crash into the pins, knocking them down??? It was east of Garland Road and south of Miller...sorry, but I don't remember the names of the minor streets since I was just 12 when we moved...BUT I could drive you all over Garland and NOT get lost. That's because I rode my bike over most of it and where I didn't bike, my parents were always taking me somewhere since Garland had everything we needed at our fingertips...except for NorthPark Mall!!

Does anyone remember the Santa and reindeer that were suspended in mid-air inside NorthPark Mall? The unusual thing about them was that they were all made out of nuts and other natural materials! Really cool!

I'm so glad you talked about the Labor Day parade and Jaycee Jubilee! I remember the parades more the JJ because I was riding the backs of pick-up trucks!

So sorry to hear there were many fights behind my former church! :-) There should've been some ministry work going on there! :-)

Did you know any of these girls at Memorial Jr. High: Sherri Edmonson, Paula Evans, Karen Morgan? I can't remember any others, but they were girls I danced with at the Freda Sexton Dance Studio. I'm not even positive that they went there, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the memories!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! I'm having fun with this. I love all the old memories. Even though mine are from Dallas, Farmers Branch and Carrollton it still all sounds SO familiar.

Been in Garland since 1992 and business has been here since my FIL started it in 1967. My oldest daughter attends Garland HS. She LOVES it! Says she would not want to go to any other school with all of the traditions that GHS has. Love the football games as well. It's like a cult. People from all generations still buy season tickets to GHS football games. Kids have graduated and so have some of their grandkids but people still get into GHS football games

The Dashing Debs, still there. Know many of them. LOVE their uniforms.

My daughter is in the Mighty Owl Band. She gets to march in the Labor Day Parade. We camp out in front of GHS and cheer the band on as they come by. Then the cheerleaders, band, football players for GHS all stop and turn and face GHS and play the Alma Mater and Fight Song. I love being part of this school (the high school I went to was new and still does not have any traditions). The Garland Labor Day Parade is a BIG parade and a BIG deal. Yes, I have the MOB GHS signs in my front yard and the gold "G" stickers on the back of our car windows.

The city has closed the Central Park Rec Center. My kids took swim lessons at Bradfield and been there for band swim parties. They recently redid the pool and now have the fun waterslides.

The bowling alley's in Garland were owned by one of my good friends dad. She went to SGHS. That is a funny thing too now. A lot of my daughters friends had parents that went to either GHS or SGHS.

GHS pep rallys after football games at the square. The football players and cheerleaders go after every game. The band only goes as a whole after the GHS vs SGHS game and after playoff games when they win. These are a LOT of fun.

Resistol Hats, we bought land from the former managers daughter several years ago. Her dad was given the land back around 1927 and her dad built a house for the family on it. Her mom had goats on the property and they had a couple of water wells. Got to hear a lot of old Garland history from her and her husband. When we tore the old house down we kept the wood floors and the solid wood interior doors. I ended up giving the wood from the floors to someone to put in their house. Still have the doors w/ the glass doorknobs. I'd love to give them to someone to use in a historic house.

The GISD was supposed to close Memorial Prep. It's still open this year though. ????

Ya'll probably know a lot of the same people I do. LOL!!!
Hey Momof2DFW! I am having fun too!! I can remember more about these things than what I had for lunch. :-)

As far as memories about Farmers Branch and Carrollton, let's hear some of them.

My husband moved to Carrollton when he was 18 months old and his house was basically at the intersection of Webb Chapel and Beltline...except that, that intersection didn't really exist when he first moved there!!! Can you believe that? The back of his parent's old house backed up to the west side of what was later to become Webb Chapel. His mother used to let him play out where Webb Chapel is now, but because it was still pasture land and the prairie grasses were so tall, she made him a little red vest to wear while he was out there so she could spot him from their back windows. :-)

When he was in high school & early college, he worked for a neighbor man who had his own fence and deck building business. He and this man (Bob Hall) built a LOT of fences and decks in the Carrollton/Farmers Branch area back in '78-'82ish timeframe.

So glad to hear that GHS is full of traditions! Sounds like my brother was there (class of '67) when they were getting started! The Mighty Owl Band...boy that brings back memories! We had 50 yard line season tickets at Williams Stadium! I remember plenty of cold nights out there. Does anyone remember that there used to be pea gravel below the bleachers? When we would first get inside the ticket gate, we would take turns using the restroom while a family member watched our blankets and thermos, etc. While killing the time, my Mom would tell me to keep my eyes on the gravel and see if I found any money. The bleachers were wide open back then and lots of things fell out of people's pockets and purses and fell to the pea gravel below. She said I could keep anything I found....don't remember if I did find anything or not, but I do remember that she said I could keep it if I did!

So glad to hear that GHS still has The Dashing Debs!

Was the Bradfield pool you mentioned actually called the Bradford? I am certainly no expert since I haven't lived in Garland in 40 years, but for some reason Bradford Pool sounds more familiar...along with another pool name: Holford? Am I getting the two mixed up?

That's so cool to hear about the bowling alley's owners. What were their names?

"GHS pep rallys after football games at the square." I do not remember anything about this. Maybe I was too young to attend or maybe they started this after I moved away.

My Mom will find your information about the Resistol Hat factory and family very interesting. Thank you for sharing it. I am so glad you saved some of the house. I value people who try and repurpose old things.

I don't know anything about Memorial Prep. Does anyone else?

Thanks again for walking down Memory Lane with me!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA IN KC View Post
Thank you Sandy - for that trip down memory lane about the Garland shopping center. My family and I moved to Dallas in the summer of '65, and even though we lived in a diffrent area, I was intoduced to Garland and that very shopping center by a guy I started dating that fall. He lived off of North Garland Road (when it was just all land around his subdivision) and was getting ready to graduate from Garland High. I also shopped at the Sterns dress shop(I would have NEVER remembered that name, so thanks for that also) I was looking for a coat and he took me there. They did have cute clothes.

Also, wasn't there a seed/plant store that was accross the street from the shopping center? I remember buying some real great flowers and plants, but I don't remember where for sure. We went to the Gates BBQ - and also, where was the K-Mart? Was that on Forrest Lane -close to Miller? I remember Mike had some friends that lived close to it and we went to that store a couple of times. It had a really old sign also. I know that's been gone for awhile. And the Villa Pizza sign (or is it Pizza Villa?) that was in a recent post, was that in Garland or Richardson? Went there a few times - can't remember...had the BEST pizza. Great place for a date - a very long time ago....
Hi SJA in KC! You're welcome! Thank YOU for your memories too.
So glad to have been of service naming the Sterns dress shop. It's funny the details you remember.

I don't remember a seed/plant store near there, but that doesn't mean that it didn't exist.

The K-Mart was east of Garland Road and north of Miller just a little ways past that intersection. My friend's Dad loved the Blue Light Special SO much that they had enough toilet paper to TP the WHOLE neighborhood!!

The Villa Pizza/Pizza Villa sign was always SSSOOOO cool! Somewhere up all these posts, someone posted a link (Jay Watson?) to some really GREAT pictures of old Garland neon signs and that is one of them. Take the time to go back through all these 9 pages and you'll find it. And I'm pretty sure it was in Garland because our family didn't travel too much outside of Garland because it had everything we needed...especially at the Garland Shopping Center!

And with that I will say Good-Night All and blessings on your memories. Keep stirring the pot so I will remember more too. :-)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Schulz Ericksen View Post
Hi SJA in KC! You're welcome! Thank YOU for your memories too.
So glad to have been of service naming the Sterns dress shop. It's funny the details you remember.

I don't remember a seed/plant store near there, but that doesn't mean that it didn't exist.

The K-Mart was east of Garland Road and north of Miller just a little ways past that intersection. My friend's Dad loved the Blue Light Special SO much that they had enough toilet paper to TP the WHOLE neighborhood!!

The Villa Pizza/Pizza Villa sign was always SSSOOOO cool! Somewhere up all these posts, someone posted a link (Jay Watson?) to some really GREAT pictures of old Garland neon signs and that is one of them. Take the time to go back through all these 9 pages and you'll find it. And I'm pretty sure it was in Garland because our family didn't travel too much outside of Garland because it had everything we needed...especially at the Garland Shopping Center!

And with that I will say Good-Night All and blessings on your memories. Keep stirring the pot so I will remember more too. :-)
The department store on the N/S of Miller Road east of Garland Road was actually never a K-Mart. I think it was maybe a Spartan's?? The K-Mart was on Garland Rd. (formerly North Star Road) at the SWC of Walnut and North Star.

I am probably a little older than your friends, as I graduated SGHS in 1970. Don't know them. Speaking of North Park, it was a favorite hangout when it was still pretty new and I was in high school. I even used to be a semi-regular at the old Sump 'N Else show with Ron Chapman that was broadcast live from the studio at North Park mall. My ex-wife and I were also invited to the 20 year Sump 'N Else reunion show that was taped at the Galleria. We went and had a blast. The Melody Shop was the best mall hangout ever.

The only feed store that I remember was the old Roach Feed and Seed downtown. It's still there on Main Street.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,108 times
Who here remembers Dallas Police chief Jesse Curry?

He served as police chief from 1960-1966, and was police chief on 11/22/63.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas