Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM

597 posts, read 1,146,959 times

Advertisements

Here are some more pictures of the restaurant building next to the Chase building. These were taken from Avenue B, with this photographic perspective on the property you can really see how large the parking lot is. Through the first picture which shows the main entrance you can clearly see the early 60s design. That style awning/entrance was a prominent design feature in the early 1960s. I see much potential for this great property and look forward to watching the progress of the redevelopment of this site. Anybody know of a business that needs a large usable space with plenty of parking? I plan on contacting Councilwoman Cox whose district includes this area and seeing if she has any ideas for redevelopment. I am still working on the history of the Chase/restaurant site. I plan on checking the Microfilm of the latter part of 1963. The Chase bank building most likely opened towards the end of the year therefore putting the article on the microfilm pertaining to September through December of '63.

I will keep you posted.
Thanks,
JH
Attached Thumbnails
Chase Building Garland Tx.-view-ave-.jpg   Chase Building Garland Tx.-down.jpg   Chase Building Garland Tx.-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
I still think that building started out as a Wyatt's cafeteria. There was a Wyatt's grocery store in the old Garland Shopping Center, but I don't think there was a cafeteria there.

Unless a private developer shows interest, I don't see much happening with that building in the foreseeable future. A number of restaurants have come and gone. The demographics just aren't that great, and it's way too big for most users and small restaurant operators. I doubt the city or county wants it; I was involved with the deal when the city made the swap with the county for the old Kroger store when the county consolidated their operations into that building and gave the city the old buildings on Fifth Street that were knocked down for the new "urban style" apartment complex.

Next time I have my lunch with my friend who was mayor there and knows more city history, I'll try to remember to ask him. There are Garland historians who may know - can't recall their names now, but for years there was a guy who knew just about everything about the city. Hal something????

Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 AM

ETex2; My family as been in Dallas since 1943. My grandmothers first real job was at Skillern's Drug Store back in 1949 (I also posted this on the GSC thread). I'm not sure which store she worked in but I will ask her. She remembers many of the old buildings/businesses in the area such as the Medical Arts Building, The old First Bank & Trust office building in Richardson (the first office complex in the city, it opened in 1961 and is now Comerica Bank). She also remembers the Heights Shopping Center in Richardson. Both she and my Mother were watching the Julie Benell variety show when JFK was assassinated and remember the program being interrupted to announce what happened. I believe your theory about the Wyatts Cafeteria at this location is probably true. The building is large enough to have plenty of room for the serving lines and seating spaces. I do know the building was built in 1962 during the hay-day of institutions like Wyatt's. Next time I'm at the library downtown I will look at some microfilm from 1962 and see what I come up with. The last time I was in this building it was a Chinese buffet (not very appetizing!). I heard that the place was shut down by the health department a few years ago. The food was not so great either, it looked like it had been sitting there for a while! Since that point nothing has made it here.I think the property is owned by the Weitzman/ Cencor group, there is a sign with a number. I might try investigating that angle. Great things can happen here if the property is maintained. The building is well built and features unique architecture from the early 60s (just like the Chase building next door). The design of the early 1960s was actually quite similar to the 1950s, as the 1960s continued and headed towards the 70s the style and design changed quite a bit. The Chase building could not have been built in 1965 as most say (including DCAD). The design (especially the lobby as straight out of the early 1960s). In fact I have evidence, there is an old unit ventilator (heater/cooling unit similar to the radiators of the 1940s and 50s) in the lobby (near the west exit). The company that made this (John J. Nesbitt) went out of business in 1963. Therefore the building could not have been built after '63. Thanks for bearing with me and reading all this, I will continue my research and post more information when I have it.

Thanks for your interest!,
JH

Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Default The old name of the Chase building

I believe the building was officially known as the " Garland Bank Building" back in the old days when it first opened.The building was built for the Garland Bank & Trust. I will post more details about this and more information later.

Thanks,
JH

Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Does anyone here know what the vacant building on the corner of Castle Dr and Toler Rd was? It seems so out of place to have what looks like an abandoned building in that location...
UPDATE: This is the church that was started but construction was never completed. I heard today that the pastor made off with the money for building the church and apparently can't be found. Members had donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for years. I have no idea if this is true, but this is the story going around Rowlett inner circles.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I just remembered something else. I believe the Chase (Garland Bank Building ) was up for auction about two summers ago. I remember the building had a large red sign down the down the east side of the building facing down Garland Ave announcing the auction. Not sure what came of it, prehaps the current owner; Grubb & Ellis is the one who purchased it at that time.
I will keep everyone posted.
Thanks,
JH

Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Old sinage on the Garland Bank Building

I have not posted on my thread about "The Garland Bank Building" for a while. If you look vary carefully at the building you will notice faded letters of the old signage. Where the Chase Bank sign is on the east side of the building facing Garland Ave you can see the outline of faded lettering behind the current sign. The lettering reads "Garland Bank" (MaryS80 mentioned seeing this early in the thread). On the stone above the entrance to the east side of the building facing Garland Ave. (where the Attorney office is) the faded words; "Garland Bank & Trust" are visible. On the stone above the main entrance the words; "Garland Bank Building" are clearly visible. This clearly describes what this building was back in the early 1960s and its importance as the first major office building in the city. The building was built for the no longer existent Garland Bank & Trust. No news on the building next door, I will email councilwomen Cox tomorrow.

Thanks,
JH

Last edited by Jay Watson; 10-10-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM

A new business moved into the Garland Bank building in the spot where the attorneys office was facing S. Garland Ave. I think the new business is some kind of real estate office. Not sure exactly. I will have to check next time I'm in there.
I have yet to email councilwomen Cox. I got behind yesterday!

Thanks,
JH

Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 PM

I plan on emailing Laura Perkins Cox tonight. She is the the councilwomen for the area including the Garland Bank Building and the restaurant next door. Maybe she will have some information/ideas about redevelopment of the restaurant next door. The building should not just sit there. We need a good quality business in there. Due to the size of the building it looks like the only thing it's suited for, is what it was originally built for; a large cafeteria style buffet (Wyatt's). It's a great building, featuring the design of the early 1960s. There is always talk of preservation around Dallas, this is a prime example. We can't allow people to think that just because this building and others are vacant that it is too dead to ever be used again. The Garland Bank Building is well occupied (except for the fifth floor which was completely vacant last time I was up there) and has preserved the early 60s design quite well. There is no reason why this area can't support more business. Let me know if you have any ideas as well. I will post the reply from councilwomen Cox.

Thanks,
JH

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM

687 posts, read 1,577,944 times
I just noticed this thread. Are you working to save the building from demolition? This is the building that was sold earlier this year that's being torn down next spring, right? I read the article about it in the DMN a few weeks back.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/garland/stories/DN-garland-bank-demolition_10met.ART.State.Edition1.334f338.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas