U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,446 times
Default (ANOTHER) relocation question Los Angeles to Dallas

I am a married young professional (32-is that young?) with a family of 3 children who is considering moving to Texas because I just cannot stand living in Los Angeles anymore. Homes are expensive, gas EVERYTHING!! My wife and I are self employed and our income is high even for this area here. Homes in my neighborhood for instance are about 600,000 for a late 50's rambler 2000-2500 sq ft and 9,000 sq ft lot. Now before we get started on what I can get in Texas for 600,000 I wanted to voice a few concerns.

First I don't want to spend that much, I would like to be under 400,000

Second my wife and I are an interracial relartionship (Caucasian/Belizian) and I would like some honest opinions on the lifestyle for a couple such as us. BTW I am white and she is Belizian

Third schools, I want diverse schools with a large mixed population. I dont want my kids going to a 90% white school as it will create the "bubble" I am trying to avoid for my children.

Fourth Area-I have a lot of friends and business associates who have moved to Texas and, since I am in Real Estate, I have been looking around. My friends live in De Soto and I have found some nice homes there as well as Duncanville and Cedar Hill.

I would like a newer home since we had a 4000 sq ft home that was brand new a few years back and my kids really liked it. I want a large yard as this is one of the most important things for my children. A large yard for me is 1/2 acre and up to 3 acres.

I have been searching my whole life for the "American Dream' so to speak. I want neighbors who are kind, a real neighborhood and to live in a state where I am more than a paycheck. I do not get any of that here now but I don't think I needed to tell anyone on here that!

Please help as I am concerned about moving my family around a lot. I want to find a place that I can raise my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM

6,791 posts, read 9,250,288 times
Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Red Oak, Midlothian, Mansfield, Ennis are all in the southern sector of the metroplex. Beautiful areas can be found (you do have to look hard for beauty in North Texas v. CA) and there is a well balanced diversity that you would probably enjoy. These areas have a higher concentration of Texans v. transplants, so in some ways not as culturally diverse. In addition, the schools are not as highly rated as in many of the northern suburbs. You will probably get more house for your money and if you find a good school situation you should really enjoy living there. Please note, Midlothian has had many air quality issues with stirrings of claims of higher cancer incidence because of the concrete manufacturing facilities there. You can learn more about how schools and districts are rated by checking on this website: Texas Accountability Rating System

The highest ratings in descending order exemplary, recognized, acceptable, below acceptable.

There are many areas all over the metroplex with larger new homes in your price range. There are also private schools and charter schools you might be interested in. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,446 times
Thanks so much I appreciate it. Not being there to look is nerve racking!

Anyone else?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:56 PM

16,135 posts, read 29,204,015 times
My son and his Filapina wife and 3 kids moved to a northern suburb a few months ago. Most lot sizes in the newer subdivisions are small but the houses are big and new. The communities all have HOA pools, playgrounds, trails, etc. When we went to a huge mall in Frisco, I saw more Asians than other people of color. So far as I know, they haven't experienced any problem fitting in.

You can check the ethnic makeup of schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link). They compare schools within a state and rate them against each other. You can see what % different ethnicites, what % on free lunch, test scores, etc. My son picked his neighborhood b/c the school was more diverse than others.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 AM

11 posts, read 11,680 times
I think you'll have a harder time finding a diverse neighborhood than having problems as an interracial couple. Dallas can be fairly segregated as far as racially mixed neighborhoods are concerned, and finding a good area to live *plus* a racially mixed neighborhood might be a difficult task.

You could try checking around the college campus areas, or Lower Greenville, or the Arts District, or the West End. I can't vouch for the schools in that area, though, since I don't have any children. And maybe North Oak Cliff...

Old 07-08-2010, 06:02 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,008,940 times
I think large lot size in a diverse area will be the hardest thing for you to find. Plenty of diverse high schools such as Richardson High School, but it's mostly regular suburban - lines of houses - but you might check the Northwood Hills neighborhood that feeds into Richardson High School - the lots are bigger.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 AM

738 posts, read 896,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsgurl View Post
I think you'll have a harder time finding a diverse neighborhood than having problems as an interracial couple. Dallas can be fairly segregated as far as racially mixed neighborhoods are concerned, and finding a good area to live *plus* a racially mixed neighborhood might be a difficult task.

You could try checking around the college campus areas, or Lower Greenville, or the Arts District, or the West End. I can't vouch for the schools in that area, though, since I don't have any children. And maybe North Oak Cliff...
I would agree with this. There are all kinds of folks all around Dallas and fitting in shouldn't be a problem at all.

For schools, the area around Lower Greenville are probably Lakewood area so you might do a forum search on Lakewood to see what that area offers.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,526,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsgurl View Post

If schools are important to you at all (and they should be since you have children), the Arts District & West End are areas of DOWNTOWN Dallas (like, amidst the skyscrpaers). No yard at all, and the local schools zoned to that neighborhood are full of transient, HOMELESS population kiddos. Literally, the shelter kids go to the neighborhood schools and the school populations change every few weeks as families move in & out of shelters. Very disturbing to the classroom.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,243,613 times
And if you are going to be working in residential real estate (commercial real estate is dead here right now)...you need to consider living and working in the areas where there is residential real estate movement - and that would be northern suburbs for the most part.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM

449 posts, read 1,102,609 times
Okay, if you want a newer home with a large yard, then you don't want any of these areas. Really? a 3 acre lot in greenville? it doesn't exist.

No one in Dallas is going to care that you're in an interracial relationship. But your other factors are kind of conflicting.

You can get a large new house with a large yard, but this is going to be in a more rural area. This is going to bring some negatives that you may care about: less diverse schools (which you mentioned) and more rural will make it further away from Dallas proper (which your business may or many not depend on, but this won't be any further than DeSoto is).

West End, Lower Greenville, Arts District: all these areas have small, older houses with tiny lots. If that's a big thing for you stay out of these areas, especially on your budget.

If you truly want a big house with a big yard, your best bets would be Prosper, McKinney, and maybe even Anna. Again, these bring the aforementioned problems of being very far from Dallas proper (which may or may not matter to you, you don't mention it) and being less diverse - though I don't think any of these areas will care if you're in an interracial couple.

The suburbs in between Richardson/Plano/Garland/Murphy/Frisco will offer different compromises between the large house/lot size/diversity/school quality. Garland may actually be a good fit for you, as the schools are relatively good, it's solidly middle class, and fairly diverse. If you want a more "upscale suburb", you can try Plano/Frisco.

If you do not care about lot size and a big house, but want to be close to all the fancy restaurants and nightlife in a more urban, unsafe (relatively) environment, then you should check out Greenville/M-streets, etc.

All of the above are the northern suburbs. I know absolutely nothing about the southern suburbs, so leave others to comment on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas