U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
brc brc started this thread

3 posts, read 7,115 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relacate to Dallas in September and have seen the floods, just read about the spiders and not to leave out the bugs. I hate bugs and need some input on what to do once there.
Also, give us some input on things for children to be involved in, is No Dallas a good spot.
How about flood control ?
What is the average age group ?
Please reassure me that the bugs and rodents are not bad as I am imagining them !
By the way we went from great but expensive to cold and boring ,now are looking for a place that is uplifting and hot !

Are there persons from Los Angeles there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 01:58 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,383,797 times
I'm originally from L.A. (though lived in Miami in between) and there are tons of Californians all over Texas these days. I think the bugs are pretty bad this year because of all the rains (just a guess). In my four years here, I don't even recall giving much thought to bugs before. This year, I've had problems with millipedes/centipedes. In any event, you shouldn't let them scare you away from the area. And it's still not as buggy as South Florida. Get a good exterminator and you're good to go!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:05 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,503,329 times
The national media must be really exaggerating things in Texas. The next thing we know they will start showing some 1950s B-monster pictures with their coverage. GEE!

BTW, I've had only one mosquito bite this year, seen one cockroach and not even seen a spider. I did see a moth. The only scorpion I ever saw was once in Fort Worth. And I've never seen a tornado.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM

670 posts, read 2,719,846 times
I'm from O.C., but lived in DFW 10 years (after Southern Louisiana and now Georgia). Get an exterminator if you're worried about bugs, but really we never had much problem except for these June bug thingies the second or third year we were there (1997 I think) when they seemed to overrun Dallas...does anyone remember what kind of bugs those were?

My kids are involved in sports there just like here and they would have been anywhere else. Baseball and basketball mostly, but there are also a lot of karate type studios, dance places, music, Scouts, etc. I don't think there is a shortage of things to do with your children or that they can do.

We never had a flooding problem nor really any county I lived in that I can recall being major. The biggest "natural" thing that happened was in December 2000 going into 2001 a big freeze which shut work down for a few days for some people, but that's not usual.

LOL about age group, I think we tend to hang around with people our age range with similar interests, but they have people from 0 to 110 probably around.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM

10,991 posts, read 17,482,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

BTW, I've had only one mosquito bite this year, seen one cockroach and not even seen a spider. I did see a moth. The only scorpion I ever saw was once in Fort Worth. And I've never seen a tornado.

You're obviously not nearly as sweet as me then!
I've had way more bites than I can count. I have to buy all kinds of deep woods off just to hang out in anybody's backyard.

As far as other bugs, BRC, I wouldn't consider it a huge problem at all. I have a few fireflies in my backyard at night but that's the only bug (besides ladybugs) that I don't hate so they are welcome anytime!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM

1,560 posts, read 6,553,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The national media must be really exaggerating things in Texas. The next thing we know they will start showing some 1950s B-monster pictures with their coverage. GEE!

I seriously considered responding to some of the bug questions with "Have you seen the movie 'The Swarm', with Michael Caine...."

Though I have had several mosquito bites this year, it's not like there are swarms of them or any other bug outside just waiting on an unsuspecting transplant.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,822,197 times
I get several mosquito bites a minute when I am outside. I had to rinse out a paint brush and paint pan the other day and got 17 mosquito bites while cleaning. I was probably out there 3 or 4 minutes. Every time I open a car door 1 or 2 fly into my car. We have them in the house. We're having a horrible time with mosquitos.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM

81 posts, read 210,821 times
Have you ever seen The Grapes of Wrath?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

126 posts, read 412,988 times
That terrible flood in which 4 (5?) people died was in Gainesville, TX. It is 70 miles north of Dallas. We're having an unusual spring that hasn't ended yet here. In my lifetime, I've seen it rain like this maybe once or twice. The upside is that my roses are gorgeous and my electric bill will be lower for June.
As for bugs. just have an exterminator come in. Twice a year would be adequate. If you buy an older house with a detached garage make sure it gets included when they spray.
Regarding the flood control, your realtor can help identify flood plains area and help you steer clear. These are well known areas. Some popular older neighborhoods in Dallas are within 1-in-500-year-old flood plains, so flood insurance is extra.
On your question regarding schools in North Dallas, WT White is good. I went to Woodrow, so I'm biased in feeling it's the better. Look up greatschools.net as a starting point on comparing schools. Also, look up all the postings by MOMOF2DFW for tons of school descriptions in the various suburbs. I personally would recommend you look in areas that are within an hour commute of work. No matter how good the deal is on the house, that drive does get old and parents get shortchanged on time with their kids.

EXTRA - Just a very short list of terms for the area to help you talk localees-
North Dallas - Area between Central Exprwy and Stemmons north of downtown and south of LBJ Frwy
Far North Dallas - all areas north of LBJ stretching to Dallas city limits
Allen - that little town way past Plano; has that large outlet mall
McKinney - old cotton town halfway to Oklahoma with those beautiful old homes near downtown; used to have that great outlet mall downtown
Frisco - suburb northwest of Plano; 15 years ago just a fruitstand owned by the last family left in a dead farm town
Lancaster - town south of Dallas founded by the Lane-cas-ter family
Lancaster Ave - road in Dallas named for a different family; pronounced Lan-cas-ter. (Knowing when to use the right pronunciation will score you BIG points with Locals.)
Waxahachie - town south of Dallas with the great catfish restaurant that's haunted - WALKS-uh-HATCH-ee (don't worry, no one expects you to be able to pronounce it)
Ennis - town southwest of Dallas with the best bluebonnet fields every spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or