U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 82,593 times
Question Popcorn Ceiling

Our home was built in 1990. It has popcorn textured ceiling throughout. Would popcorn ceiling from 1990 have asbestos?

There seem to be tons of websites talking about how to remove popcorn ceilings (DIY in the case that there is no asbestos in it). If there is no asbestos, why do so many people want to remove it?

I guess I am confused now... Can anyone who have or had popcorn ceiling after the 1980s share your experience?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,687,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviandynamite View Post
Our home was built in 1990. It has popcorn textured ceiling throughout. Would popcorn ceiling from 1990 have asbestos?

There seem to be tons of websites talking about how to remove popcorn ceilings (DIY in the case that there is no asbestos in it). If there is no asbestos, why do so many people want to remove it?

I guess I am confused now... Can anyone who have or had popcorn ceiling after the 1980s share your experience?
Asbestos was used in the binding materials for popcorn ceilings. The production of this material was banned in 1978 but the ban did not include any existing stock. Some was used in the 1980's (mostly early 80's) and I would not expect any to be around by 1990. If you are concerned about it you can have it tested.

Popcorn ceilings fell out of vogue by the 1980's and that is why many people have removed them. I really don't see anything wrong with popcorn ceilings, and if they did not contain asbestos, would not remove it if you like it.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM

73 posts, read 168,948 times
I love popcorn ceilings...especially when you pour salted butter on them....

Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM

2,213 posts, read 4,092,645 times
I agree. If you like it, don't worry about changing it. However keep in mind that it does date your home and you might want to remove it before you sell it.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 PM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
we have them in our other older house--they don't bother me that much but several of our rooms there have raised ceilings--and I think you don't notice it so much on higher ceilings...

instead of taking it off if you want to get rid of it--you might get price to just add texture and smooth it out--a light skim coat can cover a lot of ugly--and then just repaint--
less mess than wetting/scraping/sanding and remudding...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM

171 posts, read 312,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
we have them in our other older house--they don't bother me that much but several of our rooms there have raised ceilings--and I think you don't notice it so much on higher ceilings...

instead of taking it off if you want to get rid of it--you might get price to just add texture and smooth it out--a light skim coat can cover a lot of ugly--and then just repaint--
I had no idea you could texture over it....what a great idea!

I also didn't know that it could have asbestos in it. We just moved into a 1982 house with popcorn ceilings, so I guess that's another thing we have to add to our list

Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,276,389 times
The texture will have to be fairly heavy, but it could work. You might also look into the idea of just screwing some 3/8ths inch blue board over it and starting fresh.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM

81 posts, read 142,092 times
I absolutely hate our popcorn ceilings...i am surprised soo many houses in TX have them I dont remember seeing them back east
We do plan to remove them sometime in the next year or so

Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 PM

43 posts, read 88,541 times
Peoples newfound hatred of popcorn ceilings crack me up.

What if a popcorn ceiling was an expensive premium feature? Would people want it and brag about it? What if one crew had to come in and do the ceiling using caution and cleaning to keep it off the walls. Then a second crew had to come out later to hand texture the walls using caution to keep it off the ceiling. Then a third crew had to come out and paint the walls using caution to keep it off the ceiling. It would take a number of costly days to complete.

Or you could get the entry level / base charge texture. One crew comes in to apply the texture and color to the ceiling and walls at the same time. They have equipment that can quickly spray all surfaces. They can do the whole house in a quarter of the time at a quarter of the cost.

Oh Hildred did you notice the house on the corner has cheap entry level base texture on both the ceilings and walls? Yes Buffy I heard a young couple from Iowa is moving in. Gasp! We should have an HOA meeting about this.

I prefer the look of the common new knock down texture but don't forget the reason it is in new construction is because it is fast and cheap.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 PM

102 posts, read 251,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...instead of taking it off if you want to get rid of it--you might get price to just add texture and smooth it out--a light skim coat can cover a lot of ugly--and then just repaint--
Don't even attempt this! ESPECIALLY with popcorn ceilings! This procedure is only possible with light sprayed on textures such as "orange peel" or similar "spatter" type textures, but not "popcorn", or "cottage cheese" ceilings as some people refer to them. It's actual trade name is blown acoustic texture.

The "popcorn" is actually small styrofoam pellets, about the size of bb's, suspended in sprayable texture, or mud, and is blown on using a hopper or a specialized texture gun. If you were to attempt to float, or skim, the ceiling flat, many of the "bb's" would come loose and become embedded in the new skim coat, preventing a smooth finish. The mud would have to be built up so thick to cover the popcorn that this procedure is completely impractical, not to mention much, MUCH more difficult, time consuming, and messy than simply removing it.

It is very doubtful there is asbestos in a ceiling from 1990, but the only sure way is to test it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas