Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times

Advertisements

it's funny how much rivalry people have about Fort Worth vs Dallas. I think the naming of DFW Air Port is what made the perception of the two cities to be so connected or boarding when it's the furthest from the truth. When in reality the airport only resides in the counties of the two Metro's.

I think both places have their benefits. I grew up in West Texas and Fort Worth was the first big city I was exposed to. And I now live on the East side, Dallas County. Love both places, and have no regrets besides living in California for to long (totally out of my control, was a minor)

People get so defensive about Fort Worth vs Dallas.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
When I lived in FW, I was going to Dallas all the time (in college) and then after living in FW for so long, decided to move to Dallas. Now, after 10 years, I decided to leave all together...even though I am closer to FW now. I enjoyed living in both areas and both definitely had their cons too. I do find it strange that some people don't venture out of their "zones". There are so many things to do and see in Texas.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I'm a native Dallasite and definitely will not visit Fort Worthless unless I must! We still remember how FW Mayor Amon Carter refused to eat lunch in Dallas.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Only people on C-D have this Dallas/Ft. Worth "rivalry", everybody I know in Dallas never talks about any of this stuff.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:54 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Only people on C-D have this Dallas/Ft. Worth "rivalry", everybody I know in Dallas never talks about any of this stuff.
This is true...however i do think that sometimes ft worth try to compete wit dallas and then act like they are not...its like they know they can't REALLY compete on the same level(only because Dallas is bigger not because its better)but they secretly want Dallas to see what they are doin over there....just my take on it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I drove to Ft Worth from Dallas on 183 recently and was surprised at home much continuous growth there is from downtown to downtown. It never stopped. I had always driven on I-30 between the two are there are open undeveloped areas between the two and had the impression that they were divided. I later realiezed the undeveloped areas between the two are wetlands and areas of the trinity river which obviously cannot be developed. I'm glad I took the 183 route because it really showed me how huge the metroplex is. Although the cities have two totally different vibes they are fused into one huge metroplex. I'm glad they are totally different, that provides variety in a place some claim to have no culture.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Same here. As for the original question, that's a tough one for me. When I was a kid, going to Ft. Worth really was like taking a trip to another city. Dallas and Ft. Worth weren't "connected" the way they seem to be now. I still see Ft. Worth as separate from Dallas, but I can see why newcomers would see it all as one huge area.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Grew up going to Ft Worth every single Labor Day. We would all go as a huge extended family and hit the zoo, ride the train in the park, go to the water gardens, botanical gardens, etc. I remember many a Saturdays that we would just pile in the car and drive in every direction for the day. We never took the same route even if we were going to a place we had been before. I've always viewd Ft. Worth and Dallas as two seperate cities. In the last few months from say November till February I went to downtown Ft. Worth about 5 times. While it has grown when you are there during the weekend during the day there is not a whole lot going on in downtown even when there are huge events at the convention center. Kind of a bummer too. As for the places that are in the vicinity of Sundance Square and the convention center.......... there really is nothing special there that is not in any other locale in the metroplex. Jake's Hamburgers, Mi Cocina, Dixie House, etc. eh.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is a good portion of land between Dallas and Ft Worth along I-30 that can not be developed. It has been that way forever. The spots on that route that are developed have been since as long as I can remember. Same for 183. It has just been revamped but there has always been solid development between the two cities for as long as I can remember. Along I-20 between the two is where the development lagged until the last decade and now it is all developed along that corridor as well.

I guess growing up where my parents had us constantly going ALL OVER the entire region it really is no big deal for me to decide I want to go to a certain place and I just do. It doesn't matter that it is an hour or so away. If that is where we want to go..... we do.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Nowadays they feel like they're in the same metro. There used to be lots of open undeveloped land between the two cities. Even the freeways weren't as numerous.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM

68 posts, read 233,289 times
I defintely feel Fort Worth has it's own identity, and a true TX flavor with the stockyards and rich history. If you stay in the burbs..yes they all seem the same, but if you go downtown..I think you will notice a big differnce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas