U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 35,755 times
You need to try the beaches on the south shore of Long Island. The beaches are gorgeous and the water is refreshing. Montauk is our beach of choice. It's paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
our best friend is from Brooklyn via Chicago these many years ago but her sister still lives on Montauk--and she loves going up there to the beach...

not going to find that here--even at South Padre...

Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 PM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
yes=
made a mistake--Lewisville IS west of Frisco--
thanks for catching that...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,676,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabanigan View Post
You need to try the beaches on the south shore of Long Island. The beaches are gorgeous and the water is refreshing. Montauk is our beach of choice. It's paradise
I grew up in Florida and lived in the Caribbean. New york beaches are not paradise. At least not to me anyway.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 PM

12,308 posts, read 13,191,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabanigan View Post
My family and I are leaving Long Island, NY which is a huge beach community. We are 15 minutes from the ocean and vacation at the beach every year. We are moving to Frisco within the next few weeks. Are there any beaches or lakes close by? Can you swim in these waters? Any information is much appreciated.
Beaches near Frisco? Are you serious?

Have you looked at a Texas map?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 AM

791 posts, read 1,127,551 times
This discussion to me is like the California Beach thing. Sorry, but north of San Diego, it is BFin cold, the sand sucks, etc. The gulf or southern east coast of Florida are far superior places to do things in the water in the continental US unless you're trying to be a serious surfer. If you are talking about there simply being a lot of people, or wanting to do major sailing, then yes, Cali or the NE, but understand LRH has a pretty well respected sailing reputation. You'll be fine here. In my travels, beaches are NOT what I long for here, unless it could be something like gulf coast of Mexico.

hehe, and yes, I was referring to Lewisville. Minor yes, but I would hate for them to be driving out towards Allen and not hitting water until they got to Lavono.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM

225 posts, read 283,149 times
Lake Texoma is an outstanding lake. It is a man made lake that was created by damming up the Red River along the Texas/Oklahoma border. It is 80 to 90 ft in places along the river basin and is great for fishing/boating/swimming. For beaches, I suggest checking out "the islands" which are in out across from Lowe's Highport and Tanglewood in Lake Texoma. On the summer weekends, up to a hundred boats will gather here.

As fun as all of that is, my favorite lake thing to do is to take the boat out into the middle of the lake and just float with friends. Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Ryan

Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 PM

57 posts, read 70,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kirkpatrick View Post
Lake Texoma is an outstanding lake. It is a man made lake that was created by damming up the Red River along the Texas/Oklahoma border. It is 80 to 90 ft in places along the river basin and is great for fishing/boating/swimming. For beaches, I suggest checking out "the islands" which are in out across from Lowe's Highport and Tanglewood in Lake Texoma. On the summer weekends, up to a hundred boats will gather here.

As fun as all of that is, my favorite lake thing to do is to take the boat out into the middle of the lake and just float with friends. Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Ryan
Ryan - what lake would you recommend for that? Because we are from Southern California - IF this move ends up happening for us - we have talked about getting a boat to enjoy the water to some degree but I was discouraged in reading this thread.

We have enjoyed Lake Havasu and Lake Mohave <sp> in the past as well as Lake George in New York.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,676,682 times
Lake MUrray in OKlahoma is the nicest lake around here. Possum Kingdom is pretty nice too.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM

57 posts, read 70,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Lake MUrray in OKlahoma is the nicest lake around here. Possum Kingdom is pretty nice too.
Thanks Dave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas