Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 18,068 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old young professional who knows very few people in Dallas and I just found out I am relocating to there from NYC for work as soon as I can.

I have heard many great things about Dallas and I am looking forward to the move, however I have no idea about living in Dallas except that I WANT to live in Uptown, and I hope that this is a decent commute to Las Colinas.

Through my "research" I feel like Gables State Thomas Ravello is the best fit for me. I have read some bad reviews though...

Any other apartment suggestions in this area because I will probably only have a day to look around before I make a decision.

My criteria is:

as walkable as possible, and great nightlife.
commute to work does not bother me (I have a car)
decent management
amentities that include pool, gym, hd cable (or at least capable), balcony.
I do not care about noise, I am used to it.
Parking (preferably garage).
I am not opposed to spending more then 1300-1400 but I would rather not so I can save.

Summary: I am 23 yr old male, who needs a quality place to live, in a great location, without breaking the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM

I also understand I can search this website for quality info, and I have and there is definitely great information, but the quicker I can wrap my head around everything the easier it will be. Thanks everybody!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
You'll like Uptown if you liked living in New York--definitely your type of place. I have friends who live at the Riviera at West Village and like it.

However, if you are willing to live in a more residential area, you might check out the M-Streets, which is literally RIGHT NEXT to Uptown. There is just as much nightlife along Lower Greenville and Knox/Henderson, and you will find cheaper rents--lots of duplexes, etc.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
You'll like Uptown if you liked living in New York--definitely your type of place. I have friends who live at the Riviera at West Village and like it.

However, if you are willing to live in a more residential area, you might check out the M-Streets, which is literally RIGHT NEXT to Uptown. There is just as much nightlife along Lower Greenville and Knox/Henderson, and you will find cheaper rents--lots of duplexes, etc.
+1. A good option, and probably the one I would chose v. apt. searching in that area. You'll more than likely forgo the amenities(pool, etc.), but those can be had at a gym nearby.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

I would normally say this is a good suggestion, but if you're young and new to Dallas, I'd stay in Uptown and pick a complex with a great pool scene. That will make it much easier for you to meet lots of people quickly. I think you'd feel alone/isolated living in a duplex (2 units) or smaller apartment right from the start.

Gables Villa Rosa has the best pool scene right now. It is located on Xedar Springs and Routh Street. The building is mostly the right out of college, under 26, professional crowd. It's in your price range, and has all the amenities you're looking for. Within a block of several bars and restaurants, a theatre (plays not movies), yoga studio, etc and about 3 blocks from McKinney Avenue which is Uptown's "main drag" for nightlife. A short drive to grocery stores and drug stores. Easy access to I-35 which is the starting point for your communte to Las Colinas (20-25 minute drive).

Another good pool scene is Gables Knoxbridge, which is just north of Uptown in the Knox-Henderson area. Tons of great restaurants within walking distance plus lots of shopping for your home (Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc). The bar scene is across the 75/Central Expressway (technically walkable, but you probably wouldn't do it) and it is where all the hot bars are now- Barcadia, Bar Celine, Capitol Pub, J Black's, etc. Gables Knoxbridge is a little older than Villa Rosa so it's a little less expensive. Slightly longer commute, say add 5-7 more minutes, but still doable.

I wouldn't worry too much about apartment reviews online as disgruntled renters are far more likely to write reviews than happy ones. The biggest crime problem in uptown is cars being broken into in apartment garages, so always take everything (iPod, laptop, gym bag, etc) out at night.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
For your criteria, I definitely think Uptown is the best option.

Even there you wont have to spend $1300. You could find a decent one bedroom for 1k.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Agreed, Uptown is the place...
Quote:
Rooftop patios and swimming pools, private elevators, in-house gyms, and secured parking garages attract both buyers and renters.
The commute to Las Colinas will be against normal rush hour traffic - a breeze. Only one traffic delay in ten years when Trinity River bridge froze over. Just pulled off the highway and went around.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
OP, I lived in NYC from 2002-2006 and like Dallas and NYC both. They are different. Just don't come here trying to replicate your NYC lifestyle because Dallas (even Uptown) isn't dense enough population-wise to need public transit or to have crowded sidewalks or taxis being every other car in sight.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Welcome to Dallas OP. I too lived in Manhattan for 11 years and I love both cities. Uptown is probably the best place for you as you start out in Dallas.

Last edited by Dallas native; 07-30-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. Definitely helpful because I have not thought of some of the apartment recommendations.

What is Uptown Dallas like, because I have only been to Las Colinas and that was a handful of times?

Any recommendations or tips for a new person living in Dallas where to avoid, what to avoid, who to buy cable from, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas