Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM

101 posts, read 226,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are relocating to Dallas. We prefer to live in highrises with 24hr concierge services in downtown or uptown. I narrowed down to a few. If anyone lives/lived in any of them, could you please tell us your experience? I checked ratings on apartmentratings.com, but it's hard to find unbiased opinions.

Gables Republic
Merchantile Place
Mosiac
Windsor at Turtle Creek

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM

229 posts, read 606,930 times
from what i've seen, the mercantile is awesome. 24 hour security, and there are a lot of amenities such as theater room, gameroom, gym, etc. there's also a coffee and yogurt shop that is connected to the lobby.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
I haven't lived in any of them, but having lived downtown for a few years and having friends that live in these buildings I could give you a few impressions:

Gables Republic: More of a luxury apartment feel. Lower ceilings, full finish out, smaller floors (quieter); good views
Mercantile Place: Smaller floorplans, nice amenities (pool/party rooms); close to Main Street Garden
Mosaic: known to be a party place downtown; lots of residents, lots of noise, nice pool. "Loft" finish outs (concrete floors, etc)

http://www.thirdraillofts.com/ might be another one worth checking out.

And here's a list of places in downtown/uptown and surrounding: http://www.yourdspot.com/en/residences/

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM

326 posts, read 962,175 times
If you're looking purely at highrise luxury apartments, a few other new ones come to mind. But, they are a bit removed from the true activity of downtown and Uptown (I'm biased to the Main Street District downtown).

Granite Properties:::Park Seventeen

1900 McKinney: Dallas, Texas - A Luxury High-Rise Apartment Residence in Uptown

Cirque: Dallas, Texas - A Luxury High-Rise Apartment Residence in Victory Park

Glass House - Apartments in Dallas

Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Thank you so much "dfwre8tive"! We visited Dallas twice, we loved Uptown and Turtle Creek, but there are not as many new highrise apartments for rent, so we are looking at downtown. I totally agree, I'm leaning towards Main Street downtown as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
There are tons of high-rise rentals in Uptown & along Turtle Creek!

Have you spent a lot of time in downtown Dallas? There are people who live there and like it, but it's definitely not for everyone. In Uptown, you are actually walking distance to a lot more things to do & places to go (and a wider variety than GHETTO clubs, the fancy Joule Hotel and it's PM loung, and the Iron Cactus).

Not sure your budget, but dfwcreative gave you some good suggestions in Uptown. Also check these:

The Ashton- high-rise directly across the street from the Crescent. Within a block of some of Dallas' best restaurants, two blocks from American Airlines Center & Victory Park and access to the Katy Trail
www.theashton.com/

Or check Craig's List for high-rise condos for rent by owner in the following buildings:

High End Buildings Built in past 10-20 years:
Plaza @ Turtle Creek (2828 Hood Street)- located right behind Dallas' 5-Star Hotel Mansion on Turtle Creek and also managed by Rosewood, which owns the Mansion
The Mayfair (3401 Lee Parkway @ Turtle Creek)
The Beverly (3621 Turtle Creek)
The Warrington (3833 Turtle Creek)

Mid-Century High End Buildings
3525 Turtle Creek
The Goldcrest (3601 Turtle Creek)

Moderate Buildings (still have doorman, valet, etc)
3225 Turtle Creek (Also called The Renaissance)

Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM

229 posts, read 606,930 times
IMO, 1900 mckinney would be an outstanding place to live for you since it's a highrise and in uptown, but i think it's quite pricey. however, if you can afford it, you could have all the amenities you're looking for, awesome neighborhood and some sweet downtown views if you were on the right side of the building.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Hi "TurtleCreek80", we love Mayfair! We much perfer Uptown/Turtle Creek/HP than downtown, but thought that was only an option when we decided to live in Dallas and buy, I thought majority of the highrises in uptown are condos? We've been in the USA for 4 years (lived in Chicago, Houston so far), never rented a private condo, always rented "managed complex", guess that's an option too.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulous_nobody View Post
Hi "TurtleCreek80", we love Mayfair! We much perfer Uptown/Turtle Creek/HP than downtown, but thought that was only an option when we decided to live in Dallas and buy, I thought majority of the highrises in uptown are condos? We've been in the USA for 4 years (lived in Chicago, Houston so far), never rented a private condo, always rented "managed complex", guess that's an option too.
Yes, most Uptown/ HP/ Turtle Creek highrises are owner condos vs rentals, but I think almost all of the buildings allow rentals, or at least a certain percentage of units to be rented out. As long as you get a good feeling about the owner you'd be renting from and sign an official state of Texas lease agreement, I see no reason not to! I live in a high rise (not one that meets your "new" requirements) and we have a good handful of renters in the building. I think it's probably a better experience because your neighbors are less likely to be frat boys throwing parties and more likely to respect your needs and take care of their property because they own it.

I'd call the buildings that interest you, like the Mayfair, and ask the concierge if he knows of any available rentals or any realtors that sell/rent a lot in the building. Carolyn Shamis was the queen of Turtle Crek real estate, but she passed away recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: