Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM

80 posts, read 194,276 times

Advertisements

I feel your pain, OP.

Whenever I head back home to MI for a visit or have business travel where there is a TJ's, I stock up on non-perishables and ship it all back home. Just did this last month and since I have work trip to NC, I'll be shopping and shipping from there too.

I'd LOVE to be able to have Mandarin Orange Chicken and some of my other favorite frozen TJ items though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 AM

80 posts, read 194,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's no H&M here either. That's something I DO wish we had.
I'd love an H&M here too! And it seems they don't have plans for a store here either. I'd think they'd do quite well.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 AM

126 posts, read 343,329 times
Great thread! I feel your fear! I am considering a move from CA to Dallas too and this is one of my MAIN concerns. I shop at TJ's almost exclusively. I really don't believe that you can find equal brands anywhere else, especially because about 1/2 their products are TJ's brand. We have a Sprouts here and I'm not that impressed, I can't see it as a replacement anyway, ours has a TINY section of overpriced unripe or withered organic produce and most items are more expensive than comps at TJ's and our local Henry's.
I love that Trader Joe's carries many organic, natural and imported items. Also their frozen section has a bunch of really yummy items that are not made with soy or corn fillers, GMO's and HFCS's. Their breads and tortillas are fresh and taste as close to home-made as you can get. Bagged organic baby lettuce, organic free-range eggs, organic whole-fat plain yogurt and imported cheeses are staples for us. I hope to find these all in DFW.
I think not having TJ's would be a huge adjustment for me too. So I am only considering areas in DFW that are near Wholefoods and or the others that people have mentioned, to make the withdrawals easier. I am going out there in a few weeks to scout and I'll be checking out Newflower, Market St., and Central Market. I hope to find affordable neighborhoods in DFW that are within 10 minutes of these.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 21,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Sprouts is good--also Newflower Market, which is pretty much a Sprouts knock-off, is on Henderson St. in Dallas. Great meat specials.
yeah, TJ's was hard to leave behind... i saved so much money and got such great and unique options there. i miss it so...

but Newflower & Sprouts are options. not like TJ's, but their branded line will save you significant cash for natural foods over Whole Foods or Central, which are mostly ridiculously (read "yuppie") overpriced, WFM being much worse about pricing than Central.

Newflower & Sprouts are on the rise, so you can maybe have more options, or more local locations in the near future.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortex View Post
yeah, TJ's was hard to leave behind... i saved so much money and got such great and unique options there. i miss it so...

but Newflower & Sprouts are options. not like TJ's, but their branded line will save you significant cash for natural foods over Whole Foods or Central, which are mostly ridiculously (read "yuppie") overpriced, WFM being much worse about pricing than Central.

Newflower & Sprouts are on the rise, so you can maybe have more options, or more local locations in the near future.
We have a Sprouts and a Whole Foods in Richardson and I prefer Sprouts; I am a frequent regular there. Whole Foods is ridiculously overpriced (it earns its "Whole Paycheck" nickname) and I have never found the quality to be as good as Sprouts or Central Market. The nearest Central Market is in Plano on Coit just north of 190; it is not a beastly drive from here.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 AM

26 posts, read 47,250 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. First I have to say I really think it's true about them not being able to find a warehouse because they aren't in Toronto for the same reason but they are in other areas of Canada. Why wouldn't they want to come to Texas? It's a great friendly state. Trust me, they are are in business to make money and they could make a lot of money in Texas. I'm going to find a warehouse when I get there so that they can come. Prince Mongo... regarding the cornbread I saw it there but I haven't tried it yet, that's the one that's made with real corn right? I buy the cornbread pizza, you have to try it. Falcon I haven't tried the dried granny smith apples but I like the dried banana which has been missing for a while. That is the one thing I hate about Trader Joes you get attached to a certain food and they will just discontinue it on you. No warning you go to the store expecting it and you will never get it again.
We have a Sprouts, I shop there for my produce but they don't have the exotic products from other places like the Sesame Crepes from Vietnam. For the person who doesn't think Trader Joes is anything special must like eating Red 40, Yellow 6, MSG, BHA, and the other craziness that's in our food. Or maybe you have you own garden, or shop at Whole Foods because you are loaded. It's not just the food it's the vibe the Trader Joe employees have the best customer service skills.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 AM

26 posts, read 47,250 times
Arah, let me know what you think about NewFlower. They got a lot of positive reviews on Yelp. I will be there around Sept 2nd or 3rd.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 AM

333 posts, read 1,018,987 times
I like the Sprouts in Plano. I've found the produce and meat to be very reasonabe compared to places like Central Market and Whole Foods. It is small, that's the only drawback for me.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine92004 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm relocating to Dallas from Los Angeles but I'm originally from New York. While I'm excited to relocate I was pretty bummed out that there aren't any Trader Joes in Texas and there's no plans to have them there because they can't find a warehouse. Does anybody have a warehouse they can buy? So now I'm wondering what I'm going to do because Whole Foods is very expensive and Trader Joes won't ship food. (Yes I asked, those who shop at Trader Joes will understand) So my question is where can I shop in Texas were I can get natural food without the artificial colors and all the other chemicals that they put in food at prices that are economical? Please help me.
Just a couple of thoghts here: 1-I know how you feel, "a day without Trader Joes is a day without a smile" but you will get over it. 2-We have talked to people who work at TJoes in St Louis and Albuquerque, all say the plans are there to build a warehouse and expand into Texas in the next 3 to 5 years. 3-with Aldi's coming in, Trader Joes could be just behind. 4-you can learn to love Sprouts, similar but not the golden ring.

Nita

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Try Central Market, otherwise I think you're out of luck. Some farmer's markets might be a good source, but most of them around here sell conventionally-grown produce. Sprouts is good for a lot of healthy groceries but again most of their meat and produce is conventional.

Get ready to pay a LOT more for fruits/veggies here. Consider yourself warned. And the whole "we can't find a warehouse" story is bunk. Trader Joe's isn't here because they don't want to be.
sorry you are not right about the warehouse. Of course it is partly true, they haven't decided to move in yet and there is, apparently some conflict between them and Whole Foods, but they do have to have a warehouse first. They move into areas where it is financaully to their advantage to add a warehouse. Thiey have the same philosophy as InNOout, first comes the warehouse as they do not ship from one area to anyother. They keep everything as fresh as possible. Of course the wine is shipped, but the warehouse is an issue.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas