Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 PM

419 posts, read 998,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
San Antonio: Not as dumb as they think - San Antonio Express-News
Denver was 5th
Dallas-Fort Worth was 41st

Denver thinnest city ranked 1 in the past 5 years

Dallas beat out Houston as fattest city
Corpus Christi and Dallas outdo Houston on fattest cities list: We're slender (by Texas standards) - 2010-Sep-04 - CultureMap Houston

so really that just makes Dallas fat and dumb.
Dear Cupcake,
You were the one who moved to the Texas prairie and expected mountains and streams. If you didn't see them the first time you visited, they probably weren't going to be there later.

Also, you never lived in Dallas. You lived in a city where its borders were next to a city, that were next to a city, that was next to a county, that was next to Dallas. But you still claim it was Dallas. Of course it wasn't pretty or had much sophistication. It was an isolated exurb and you saw Dallas from the highways. That doesn't make you an expert on Dallas. It makes you an expert on poor decision making.

People who go around the Internet claiming that the people who used to live in a city, by a city, by a city, by the county where they used to live and calling them "dumb and fat" don't contribute much to the conversation. It is juvenile and just plain strange.

Sincerely,
Reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
lol, you're all my little puppets.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I love Dallas. But it seems like these people can't be happy for you.

Quote:
lol, you're all my little puppets.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I love Dallas. But it seems like these people can't be happy for you.

Who cares.

I rekon all ya all's are jus jeelous! Although I did bring 5 nativeTexans with me. They hate your state as well and one working on getting up here as soon as he can. No they didn't come from some unpopular exburb either. Apparently people have to live in a 5x5 square mile of what is considered livable to be happy. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ELpWj6-jw

My drive to the mountains can't touch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLVYqHxwcW8

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
Quote:
Who cares.

I rekon all ya all's are jus jeelous! Although I did bring 5 nativeTexans with me. They hate your state as well and one working on getting up here as soon as he can. No they didn't come from some unpopular exburb either. Apparently people have to live in a 5x5 square mile of what is considered livable to be happy. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ELpWj6-jw

My drive to the mountains can't touch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLVYqHxwcW8
You're an idiot. Shut up and learn to spell. Jesus Christ. The outdoors don't interest some people!!! I happen to love living in A. a city with more than a million people B. a concrete metropolis C. a city with a thriving music scene and D. a city that's not over run with fake hippies in Tom's and Birkenstock's driving Prius'. UP THA PUNX

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
You're an idiot. Shut up and learn to spell. Jesus Christ. The outdoors don't interest some people!!! I happen to love living in A. a city with more than a million people B. a concrete metropolis C. a city with a thriving music scene and D. a city that's not over run with fake hippies in Tom's and Birkenstock's driving Prius'. UP THA PUNX

Opps did I strike a nerve? Seems to happen quite often in this forum. You people are so defensive and so quick to pull out the personal insults. That means you lose.

Some helpful advice, because I am a friend. You may want to learn how to conjugate a sentence, whilst we're working on english lessons here.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
Quote:
Opps did I strike a nerve? Seems to happen quite often in this forum. You people are so defensive and so quick to pull out the personal insults. That means you lose.

Some helpful advice, because I am a friend. You may want to learn how to conjugate a sentence, whilst we're working on english lessons here.
You're just ****ing annoying and no one really gives a ****.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
You're just ****ing annoying and no one really gives a ****.

You do!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
The more you talk, the more shell come back. Just leave her be.

Shes happy in Colorado, we are happy here. Just leave it at that.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Getting this thread back on track, Lakewooder's posts, nos. 46 and 48, didn't receive enough attention. Lots of good local history there.

Quote:
Austin ought to be extremely jealous of the founder of Dallas, John Neely Bryan, who was let us say 'eccentric'. Sara Cockrell came along and had made a fortune as a business WOMAN by the late 1800s. During that time Dallas was wild west with a red light district (Froggy Bottoms). The Higginbothams and Bailey families made big bucks on horse leather and carriages. The Schoellkopf family also made major waves as merchants. La Reunion Colony was opened by a large group of expatriate French and Europeans.

Then city leaders got together and got the railroads into town with important crossings (one line went right down Pacific downtown). All the cotton came to Dallas from the surrouding areas. CC Slaughter gave money and land for Baylor Hospital and the Catholic Church establised St. Paul Hospital a few blocks away. Parkland was way out on Maple. Adolphus Bush built the lavish Adolphus Hotel. Dallas got a Carnegie Library. Neiman-Marcus soon opened as the premier specialty store of the south and southwest Then their success exploded when H.L. Hunt and other oilmen of East Texas came to town after Magnolia Oil opened the tallest building west of the Mississippi.. A. Harris and Sanger Brothers were large department stores along with Titche Goettinger.

The Collins family established Dallas as an insurance giant (and later William Seay of Southwestern Life). Then R. L. Thornton and Fred Florence made Big D a banking giant. Dallas banks became the first to loan money for oil exploration and on proved reserves. Leaders were also able to beat Houston to get a Federal Reserve Bank. Dallas had an Opera Hall (now Women's Museum in Fair Park - Woodrow Wilson spoke there) but then opened the Music Hall to replace it.

The Cuellar Family started El Chico and the Martinez family started El Fenix. During the Depression Dallas leaders once again moved heaven and earth to get the Centennial Celebration and World's Fair (attended by FDR) by building a massive Art Deco complex at Fair Park. Karl Hoblitzelle established one of the nation's largest cinema presenting organization with Interstate Theaters. The Cotton Bowl and Texas-OU established Dallas as a sports center and early Heisman winners Davey O'Brien and Doak Walker cemented that reputation. SMU football was very famous nationally after WWII. The Cotton Bowl had to be expanded twice to accommodate the crowds.

Many famous Architects began in Dallas as it was a town which appreciated the art - from homes to department stores to commercial and business buildings to art centers. Ford, C.D. Hill, Charles Stevens Dilbeck, Art Swank, Hutsell, Mark Lemmon and George Dahl are some of the names. Stanley Marcus had the nerve to tell Frank Lloyd Wright "NO" for his home - he got Roscoe DeWitt- but then Dallas brought him back in to do Kalita Humprheys Theater.

The Dallas Nine were artists who started a whole movement in the Depression.

Wyatt's Cafeteria opened in Lakewood and soon became a huge chain. Same for grocers Cullums (Tom Thumb) and the Minyard family. Chateaubriand and Old Warsaw opened. The DMA grew quite a bit at Fair Park and Stanley Marcus made Dallas world famous for fashion with his fortnight celebrations at The Store. Trammell Crow later expanded on that with the Market Center and brought in Kim Dawson - Apparell Mart, Men's Mart, World Trade Center and Market Hall. Margo Jones opened an experimental theater (Tennessee Williams in the Bible Belt!) in Fair Park after the Band Shell had produced operettas for many years. Those later became the Dallas Summer Musicals in the Music Hall. Maria Callas came to town and made the Dallas Opera famous.

John Stemmons and Trammell Crow made Dallas one of the nation's commerical real estate headquarters (Crow was called 'the world's largest landlord') and Ebby Halliday soon followed in the residential realm. The high-style Mercantile Bank, Republic Bank (with rooftop rocket) and Southland Life skyscrapers opened. The Dallas Texans and Cowboys came to town circa 1960. Then there was 1963. Dallas leaders put in new efforts and built the IM Pei City Hall as skyscrapers started to pop up everywhere until the late 1980s. Mariano Martinez invented the frozen margarita about the time the Village Apartment complex was finished. In the late 70s Crow opened the Anatole Hotel complex, where President Reagan stayed at the 1984 Republican Convention. Thirty years ago Caroline Hunt Schoellkopf opened the Mansion Hotel and Restaurant - vote number one in the world many times.

In 1965 Ray Nasher opened the art-filled North Park Center.

Liquor by the drink turned Dallas into a major party and culinary town. DFW Airport, larger than Manhattan Island opened in 1974. Then there was "Dallas" on TV and the start of the Arts District downtown. Cedar Springs went from the redneck home of Adair's Bar with female street walkers to a major gay mecca. The Starck Club put Dallas on the international party map in 1984. Older neighborhoods, especially in the original 'streetcar suburbs', became bohmemian and gentrified.
The Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Parade became a huge event and draws fans from all over the nation. The preceding Irish festival draws huge crowds and Cinco De Mayo is really even larger on a city-wide basis.

Dallas has the dichotomy of the world's largest state fair, complete with farm animals, carnies, corn dogs, fried butter and Big Tex while also being a fashion, arts, journalism, big business and food center of the world - number 8 in billionaires in the world -- so go figure...

So Dallas was and is an eccentric business town which started with livery, railroads, cotton, merchandising and evolved into a banking, insurance, oil, fashion, real estate, hotel and culinary capital with a huge arts and sports scene.

I wrote all of that stuff from memory as I am a native and I am very proud of my city. I probably should have included Everette Lee DeGolyer, famed geologist and world-class thinker who made Dallas famous around the world with his oil and gas consulting firm and forward international thinking. His White Rock Lake estate was left to SMU which sold it to the city for the arboretum (the Camp estate next door was added as well).

And I left out the impressive founders of Texas Instruments (DeGolyer was originally involved with GSI a precursor) who all were drawn to Dallas four generations ago: Texas Instruments - Founders' Biographies
They really changed the world.
Erik Jonsson became mayor and spearheaded the new city hall and Goals for Dallas.

I would say Dallas is deeply rooted in the 'get it done and do it big' way of thinking. Mayor R.L. Thornton's battle cry was, "keep the dirt flying".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas