Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM

103 posts, read 312,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I was just using those cities as an example. When you say their names, an image pops into mind. When you say Dallas, it varies so widely.

However, I agree fully with your post. Dallas is not really that southern to begin with (in my opinion-for the love of god people, do not turn this into a debate on whether Dallas is southern or not) compared to the others. Dallas is at the crossroads of:

1) The south
2) The southwest
3) The Midwest
4) The Great Plains
5) Mexican culture

No other city in the south is at the cross roads of so many points.

Given that Dallas is in the process of building a new itinerary and the city is almost 50% Hispanic, I have a feeling whatever the new identity is, it will incorporate that.

Ill say it again, Dallas and DFW are incredibly well rounded. That is a good thing, but it can lead to an identity crisis since its hard to stick Dallas to doing one thing really big.

That is a great example of Dallas identity, but how does the southwest crosses Dallas, when I think of the southwest, i think of Arizona??? Not to bring "Houston" into the mix, but Houston is a crossroad of:

Southern (strong cultural ties to Southern Lousisiana and East Texas)
Gulf Coast (laid back, costal feel seaport feel)
Mexican/Latin American (50% of Houston is Hispanic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM

103 posts, read 312,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It doesn't really have one. No one ever says they want to move to Dallas because of how awesome the city is culturally. It's a stupidly hot collection of cities with decent restaurants and lots of shopping shoved together.

The defining feature that Dallas has is that it's cheap. So people move here. Go back through and look at the "moving to Dallas" posts. At least 80% of them mention the "low cost of living" as a primary factor in the move.

If you're looking for cultural identity, look elsewhere.

Same with Houston, but with 6 months of humidty

Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 26,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezMugler View Post
Hello everyone I'm a former Texas native now live in Toronto Canada.. I am trying to figure out Dallas Identity in the USA.. Growing up my parents always described Dallas as a ritzy, economic, sports and shopping city..

Would u consider Dallas to be hip, cool, edgey,vibrant, and a cultural influenced area.? Are a more sports economic ritzy city.
Dallas is Faux ritzy and a business city, nothing else. There are three types of people here. People with money, lots of people who pretend to have money (lots of these) and then the others. Dallas is a small town that grew up too fast and has no culture or personality.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,801,703 times
Did you never go to Addison's Worldfest or any of the art-walks on dragon street or Deep Ellum? The various ethnic festivals and parades are held a few times a year. The Latino Cultural Center (LCC) in downtown Dallas always has cultural events. Meadow's Museum features Spanish Art. Multiculturalism is at your fingertips. Crow collection of Asian art also has cultural events throughout the year; one Friday per month. Or take a trip to Cathedral of Hope and experience the gay culture. Dallas is a city of many sub-cultures.

If you do not have a car then it may be very difficult to experience the culture. I understand that. And I am so so sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
Dallas is Faux ritzy and a business city, nothing else. There are three types of people here. People with money, lots of people who pretend to have money (lots of these) and then the others. Dallas is a small town that grew up too fast and has no culture or personality.

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-02-2011 at 10:52 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,988,011 times
Quote:

I guess I don't understand why you stay? I lived near that POS city and left as soon as I could. As a matter of fact I left behind 30% of my belongings because I just up and drove out and had my stuff packed for me. I don't regret it and I got out. Instead of b*tching about it, just leave. Because it will only upset you more and remind you how terrible it is. You'll feel better and can just look back later and laugh about living there like I do.

oh and don't use the excuse you're there because of work, I did that too for 2 years. I finally grew some huevos and left! Was hired a GREAT company in supposably a state where it's hard to find employment. I get paid more and live much better. So my advice from someone who's been there and done it.... Just move or be miserable.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

That's an amazing story. Colorado has wonderful geography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I guess I don't understand why you stay? I lived near that POS city and left as soon as I could. As a matter of fact I left behind 30% of my belongings because I just up and drove out and had my stuff packed for me. I don't regret it and I got out. Instead of b*tching about it, just leave. Because it will only upset you more and remind you how terrible it is. You'll feel better and can just look back later and laugh about living there like I do.

oh and don't use the excuse you're there because of work, I did that too for 2 years. I finally grew some huevos and left! Was hired a GREAT company in supposably a state where it's hard to find employment. I get paid more and live much better. So my advice from someone who's been there and done it.... Just move or be miserable.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

As much as I disagree with your views on Dallas on just about every level, Ill give you respect for one thing. Instead of bitching about how much you hated it, you took action and left.

If more people would do that, it would make the world a better place. If I hated Dallas, it wouldnt matter about my job. I would find another one in a place I liked.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Others must be the majority of the city since a huge portion of the city is Hispanic and foreign born at that.

Frankly Dallas is too ethnic to be as generic as what youre painting it to be.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM

You rarely see Hispanics unless you are in the Little Mexico side of Dallas. I believe there are two Little Mexicos. It's unlikely that they even speak English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Others must be the majority of the city since a huge portion of the city is Hispanic and foreign born at that.

Frankly Dallas is too ethnic to be as generic as what youre painting it to be.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You rarely see Hispanics unless you are in the Little Mexico side of Dallas. I believe there are two Little Mexicos. It's unlikely that they even speak English.
Hispanics are 44% of the city. West Dallas, East Dallas, Cockrell Hill, the area next to Love Field, and Harry Hines are all majority Hispanic areas.

I see Hispanics as much as anything else. You rarely see Hispanics Uptown, but beyond that, I see them all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas