Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM

252 posts, read 724,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You're joking right? Please tell me you are joking? College Station is so closed minded and rather regressive in terms of arts culture its unbelievable. Denton is way more progressive than college station in terms of arts and music culture. Maybe college station is more progressive with red republican culture than denton is.... i can agree to that... whereas denton has the deck stack against it because of all the free thinkers or neo hippies or fixed gear crusties.
I don't have a lot of love for College Station either but this is a little out there. A college town with no more than 100,000 isn't going to be THAT cultured anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 38,703 times
College Station is about as much of a college town as Waco is...

Austin; Boulder, CO; Athens, GA; Madison, WI - those are college towns!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM

58 posts, read 141,948 times
Try something just outside Denton. I live in Paloma Creek just down on 380. Great neighborhood and quiet at night.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM

20 posts, read 64,246 times
Heck folks, I grew up in Denton, that being said. ( at least a hundred years ago.) It has a unique small town feel with a lot of local flavor. I have always liked the area and the people. There are a lot of choices of what to do, but mostly it has home owned type restaurants, clubs, and entertainment. Of course it has the usual franchise owned fast food type places too. Life really seems to hum around college life, their arts, music endeavors etc. The population as a whole seems rather laid back and in some areas kinda hippyish, but it also has so very forward movers and shakers. Schools are about the same as in Corinth and the other mentioned locations. Also the other areas that you mentioned are a little closer to Dallas but have far less to offer for night life or recreation. Those other areas are also a little pricier than Denton is. As far as being next door to loud college students, I have never heard of any of my friends that live there having any problems. Most of the college students choose to live closer to the campus of their respective university. There are also small towns in very rural settings within 10 miles east or north of Denton if you like the really small town feel. Denton is also about 30 to 45 minutes away from the intersection of I35 E. and 635 so it's fairly close to Dallas if you wanted to go into the city. Personaly I can find no fault with living and bringing up children in Denton.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM

7 posts, read 16,605 times
Lived in Denton for 14 years. Moved 4 miles south to Corinth as cheaper for bigger house with real yard. Made sure kids stayed in Denton ISD as we’ve liked the schools. Denton has a better vibe if you are younger and like Craftsman style bungalows but can deal with the college-students-in-the-bushes issues. With kids, you might as well enjoy suburbia. Corinth, full of relocated people, desperately needs more citizen participation in local government. Still, they pulled together nicely to put up a moratorium to stop gas well fracking, probably to the surprise of XTO Energy who thought they were just dealing with small town folks. I’ve lived all over the world and for price/quality of living, it’s pretty good here. Yes, I’d prefer the South of France or London, but get real. Our nearly 20-year-old UNT student, who will most likely flee to the West Coast on graduation, is starting to enjoy the music and culture of Denton. Funnily enough, we know a mid-20’s ex UNT student who lived on the West Coast for all of 3 months. He found folks there worked too hard and didn’t know how to have fun! From Denton or Corinth can be in Dallas or Fort Worth in about 40 minutes but don’t have to live there – unless you want to. We like the proximity to the museums and look forward to riding Light Rail down to the museums when it hits Denton later this year. Having DFW Airport there with flights to London, Frankfurt, Rome, etc. does help keep one sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas