Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
There's a difference between being fake and being civil. I wasn't there to debate President Bush, I was at an event which was not even political in nature. I don't know if there's really any point in continuing if being civil to a President with whom you disagree politically isn't an understandable concept.

I can agree with that, point taken..In the end, we move ahead by disagreeing with one another. I mean what would get accomplished in this world if we all sat around agreeing with one another all the time?

My feelings for this guy have nothing to do with anything other than the facts he thinks he can control everything with some sweeping legislation or some half-witted negotiation. Unemployment is still very high, growth is flat in most industries, and deficits are higher than they have ever been. Locally, our states and towns are cutting out everything from streetlights to paving and pensions everywhere are toast.

In the age of Obama, there is no real contractual obligation: everything from paying back bondholders to fixing a BP penalty is, well, “negotiable.” When the money runs out, the law will too. Although to him, there is no law other than a mandated equality of result.

I for one disagree with him on the basis of this type of thinking and these facts. I don't know why he thinks he has to take care of everyone, maybe it stems from his childhood not knowing his father.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:15 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,295,246 times
Default Don't we all long for the Clinton years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!

Maybe, except for the first time my wife told me she loved me.

Your right, this is the greatest country in the world. The average American lives 72 years here. They will see presidents that they like and those they dont. Yet, it doesnt change the fact that we are all Americans and this is a great place. For example, I didnt like Bush as a president much. I like Obama alright, but Clinton was my favorite. Thats just a personal preference. I respected Bush because of his role. I have never thought he ruined the country or that he is a bad person whatsoever.

Think about it this way. Are things hugely drastically different from president to president? Keep in mind some of the things that have historically happened (fall of USSR, North Korea, Nazi Germany, etc.).
I've always said that one thing that made our political system great is that our political parties were tied only to personal beliefs and not religion or ethnicity. If the presidential candidate you voted for loses, Americans don't take to the streets with pitchforks and torches the next day. Most countries can't say that. Even in "ultra civilized" Europe, political party affiliation is a bit more hardcore.

I'm just uneasy at the present developments in Obama-bashing. I concur; I can't say I've ever hated an American President. Really, the major thing that was so upsetting about Bush is that in times of crisis (notably 9/11 and Katrina) all of America regardless of political party were ready to rally around his leadership and he completely squandered that political capital! On 9/12 I had never seen that many people lined up for bloodbanks and willing to sacrifice in my lifetime. We would have rationed oil and energy more efficiently than Americans during WWII and all run through a brick wall for GW. He did nothing with it! People can say what they want to about Clinton and the stained dress but the United States generated more wealth than any economic system in the history of his planet during his administration. I think that's a little noteworthy!

But with Obama, it seems like the bashing is developing a sense of tribalism that never existed. Even in the worst days of Jim Crow people of all colors and religions were divided fairly evenly between Democrat and Republican. I hope some of this political extremism dies down before 2012. There weren't any riots in the streets in 2000 or 2008 and there shouldn't be any in the rematch!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
But with Obama, it seems like the bashing is developing a sense of tribalism that never existed. Even in the worst days of Jim Crow people of all colors and religions were divided fairly evenly between Democrat and Republican. I hope some of this political extremism dies down before 2012. There weren't any riots in the streets in 2000 or 2008 and there shouldn't be any in the rematch!
I agree..We are supposed to be living in the "Postracial" age now, and as far as I am concerned we are, but yet racism seems hotter now than ever. A guy goes on a shooting rampage mass murder at a beer distribution company and it is portrayed in the media as him being a victim of racism, no focus on the victims though. Turns out he was a bum stealing from them.. Charles Rangel, Maxine Waters, the list continues..All with some way of weaving the age-old racist argument into their excuse for doing what they did.

I am sick of it. Personally, I had nothing to do with something that happened 200 years ago, yeah it's part of history, but some are making sure it remains a current event. .

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,792,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Im not a fan of Obama but I was impressed with the security that the president has. I have never seen something like that before. 5-6 miles ahead of them they had cops on all the bridges and at every cross road. I bet the entire Dallas PD was working this thing.

I dont know why they just dont transport him by helicopter.
Dallas doesn't have too great a reputation for safeguarding presidents, I can appreciate all of their security concerns.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Dallas doesn't have too great a reputation for safeguarding presidents, I can appreciate all of their security concerns.
You do know that wherever the president goes, he gets the same treatment. This isnt special because he is in Dallas.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,256,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You do know that wherever the president goes, he gets the same treatment. This isnt special because he is in Dallas.
I was in Chicago last week, and it was the same thing. The motorcade has about 50 vehicles, including a couple ambulances, some SUVs with radar equipment, a couple limos, and about 20 vans, and then 30 police vehicles. It was quite a spectacle in downtown Chicago.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,988,772 times
Quote:
No. It's simply disrespectful. People should express their disagrement with policies or positions of the President, but attacking the President personally isn't constructive and serves no purpose.
Did you feel the same way as Bush was being brutalized by the media?

BTW....Bush never whined about it. This is the difference between a man having Presidential Timber and a pretender.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,988,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I agree with this...Maybe by 2012 they will all realize he is an empty suit with no political experience, and quite honestly doesn't strike me as an intelligent strategist either. Lets not forget how he got involved in that local dispute up here in Cambridge MA. If that wasn't the biggest joke I have ever seen I don't know what is. Wasting time on some racist hot-head friend of his was a great use of the United State President's time and tax payer money.

Let's have a beer over a domestic dispute because it involved an AA and Police officer. Great idea! Must have been another dim-witted Biden idea. Instead of hair plugs he might consider a plug for his mouth since he can't seem to shut up. Sorry I couldn't resist.
To the contrary, he's an excellent politician. The problem is that he has no practical experience aside from being a professional agitator for groups like acorn and seiu.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM

687 posts, read 1,572,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Did you feel the same way as Bush was being brutalized by the media?

BTW....Bush never whined about it. This is the difference between a man having Presidential Timber and a pretender.
Did you read any of the rest of my posts or just this one? I think I made my position pretty clear. Also, media criticism of a President's policies have nothing to do with basic respect and civility toward the person serving as President. If you want to get into a political discussion, I don't think this is really the proper forum for that.

BTW...Obama has not "whined" about anything.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:

BTW...Obama has not "whined" about anything.

I respectfully disagree here..He has whined about what he was left with from the previous administration on several occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: