Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 13,738 times

Advertisements

We have been looking in the Southlake area and there are some nice neighborhoods. Are there areas around there like White Rock Lake Park? How far would the commute be to Baylor Hospital from Southlake? Any newer neighborhoods in the White Rock Lake Park area from the $400-500K range? We don't have children so schools are not an issuse. We are in our late 30's and are into outdoor activities........biking, running, hiking..
Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 AM

81 posts, read 236,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Girl 4 View Post
We have been looking in the Southlake area and there are some nice neighborhoods. Are there areas around there like White Rock Lake Park? How far would the commute be to Baylor Hospital from Southlake? Any newer neighborhoods in the White Rock Lake Park area from the $400-500K range? We don't have children so schools are not an issuse. We are in our late 30's and are into outdoor activities........biking, running, hiking..
Thank you..
M Streets, Forest Hills, Lakewood area are all pretty close to White Rock, while allowing a convenient commute to Baylor. Southlake to Baylor would not be much fun.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,548 times
Southlake to Baylor Hospital is a silly commute to make. Try Lakewood. It borders the western edge of White Rock Lake.

See my post in this thread for more. There is plenty in the White Rock Lake area for you. Lots of physicians who work at Baylor live in the area. Look West of the Lake for the best areas.

So, tell me about Lakewood

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,041 times
If you want brand new in your price range, David Weekly is building new homes 2 miles north-east from White Rock Lake:

David Weekley Homes - Community (http://www.davidweeklyhomes.com/community.asp?community=17590000 - broken link)

Or if it can be a little bit older (1994), here is one in Lakewood, next to the White Rock Lake Park (walking distance):

Moderator cut: realty link removed

Last edited by GoPadge; 06-25-2007 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Realtor.com is the only allowed site, and links to individual homes are not allowed.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Definitely Lakewood for that commute. While I love Southlake, Southlake to Baylor Hospital would be unthinkable.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Hamilton/Lakewooder,

What are your thoughts on these new DW homes ? I looked at the schools mentioned and never heard any of the Dallas Metropolis types mention these particular schools. Good/Bad ? Seems odd to have new construction in that area. I wonder when DW bought the land.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Fla Girl sorry to be blunt but you would be nuts to move to Southlake. I was born at Baylor like most Lakewood natives - the retired CEO of Baylor is from our area and we have many, many employees of the center all over the neighborhood.

You will find newer homes mixed in with the older historic homes here. But they are very expensive for the most part. I probably would not go with the development mentioned. Go hang out at the Tipperary Inn and Lakewood Landing on Live Oak at Skillman, then go to Lakewood Shopping Center (Gaston at Abrams) to the Balcony Club, Times Ten Winery, (name for Rooster) and Bull, Kitchen 1924, etc and talk to people - they will give you the scoop.

White Rock Lake is a gem you don't want miss..and this area is appreciating fast so you will make some money on your home.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Hamilton/Lakewooder,

What are your thoughts on these new DW homes ? I looked at the schools mentioned and never heard any of the Dallas Metropolis types mention these particular schools. Good/Bad ? Seems odd to have new construction in that area. I wonder when DW bought the land.
I think those are the ones on Northwest Highway - not much of a neighborhood but the area just to the south is nice and it's not too far from the lake. Those schools were rivals to the ones I attended, so I'm not too keen on them.
Anyhow it is definitely NOT Lakewood.

Much more of a community feel in Lakewood, MStreets, Old East Dallas/Historic Districts, Lower Greenville/Vickery Place/ Knox-Henderson, Forest Hills and Little Forest Hills.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Anyhow it is definitely NOT Lakewood.
No it isn't. I am not sure what that area is. Is it still Lake Highlands? It is indeed awkward to see a new DW development in this area.

I am wondering, is there new construction in Lakewood? The link that was removed from my previous post (sorry, didn't read the rule about realtor sites. I have absolutely no affiliation) was for a home southwest of White Rock Lake, across the street of White Rock Park in a very picturesque area of Lakewood. There is some fairly recent (for the area) development from the 1990s in the $400-$500k range for around 2600-3000sft (but on zero lots, which is compensated by the huge park and White Rock Lake next doors).

Old 06-25-2007, 04:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,548 times
Definitely. There's plenty of new development in Lakewood. However, most of it is in Lakewood Heights. (which has smaller lots).

Otherwise, if it is an older home, most of those houses have been renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas