Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM

15 posts, read 39,223 times

Advertisements

Hi all...we are relocating to Dallas, and even though I have lived there before (Oakcliff) back in the early 90's, my wife has never lived there. We are both transferring our jobs down there, and that's where my issue of concern is.

Since I pretty much know my way around Dallas, Ft.Worth, some of Arlington & the burbs, even out towards Forney, Terrell etc., from living there before, she has no clue how to get around. We are used to city living, being from the Chicagoland area, but her job is transferring her to Carrollton, and mine transferring to Lancaster. Yes, HUGE gap. Our concerns are the usual, good schools for our kids (elementary/middle/high) nice area, low crime, and commute. She likes Frisco, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Coppell, Las Colinas & far North Dallas, because of the suburban/cookie-cutter look. She says she wants a break from the city living for a while. I like the Dallas proper. I like the Park Cities area, but may be too expensive for me right now. I don't want to live towards Garland, or Mesquite, but I can't think of an area where I can get to work in Lancaster without leaving 2hrs early, or her getting to work on time without getting lost. I'm more worried about her, and schooling is VERY important. I'm toast!!! LOL!! ANY HELP IS APPECIATED!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Wow, working in Lancaster makes living in Frisco crazy talk. My son attends private school in Far North Dallas and the families who live in Lancaster who have kids at the private school have apartments they live in during the week in Dallas and dad stays back in Lancaster working. That's how bad that commute is.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Wow, working in Lancaster makes living in Frisco crazy talk. My son attends private school in Far North Dallas and the families who live in Lancaster who have kids at the private school have apartments they live in during the week in Dallas and dad stays back in Lancaster working. That's how bad that commute is.
OH NO!!!!! I can't do that!! I'll be broke...lol. Maybe up by Preston Road, Spring Valley?? I don't know. I got 2 months to decide. Thanks for the reply FND

Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Well, yeah, Far North Dallas might work. The best elementary school in the area is probably Brentfield which is part of Richardson ISD. It feeds into Parkhill Jr. High and then Pearce High School. All very good schools.

Other exemplary elementary schools in that area are Bowie, Mohawk, Spring Creek, then over in Richardson there's Prairie Creek and Canyon Creek - all are quite good. All are Richardson ISD and feed into Pearce, except for Spring Creek which feeds into Richardson High School.

Stay away from Spring Valley anything. Keep going north up Preston to Arapaho and Campbell. Stay east of Preston (west of Preston is Dallas ISD, I think the elemetary is Anne Frank).

Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
You said you don't want out by Garland???? I'd say that would be the happy medium as you could find the cookie-cutter like neighborhoods, have larger yards, near parks/forest preserves and decent commute for both of you. Close to 190 would be ideal for your wife to commute to Carrollton (which living there would be like living in the city somewhat) and not bad for you to hit LBJ/635 going east to I20 to loop around to Lancaster. Neither of you would have to travel thru downtown traffic or in traffic trying to get to downtown. Even some parts of Richardson would work. You do not want around Spring Valley and LBJ/75 in and around Valley View Mall.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

Stay away from Spring Valley anything. Keep going north up Preston to Arapaho and Campbell. Stay east of Preston (west of Preston is Dallas ISD, I think the elemetary is Anne Frank).

Thanks FND!!!! I was thinking up there by Arapaho/Campbell. I was also thinking about the SMU area. That would be Richardson, right? Then also, I was thinking maybe Arlington, but, I may be in the same situation with distance.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You said you don't want out by Garland???? I'd say that would be the happy medium as you could find the cookie-cutter like neighborhoods, have larger yards, near parks/forest preserves and decent commute for both of you. Close to 190 would be ideal for your wife to commute to Carrollton (which living there would be like living in the city somewhat) and not bad for you to hit LBJ/635 going east to I20 to loop around to Lancaster. Neither of you would have to travel thru downtown traffic or in traffic trying to get to downtown. Even some parts of Richardson would work. You do not want around Spring Valley and LBJ/75 in and around Valley View Mall.
Thanks for the reply Momofdfw!!!!! Yes, you're right, out that way would be a happy medium, I just never liked that area. I don't know why, I just never have. I used to work out there years ago. It's decent, I just never liked Garland or Mesquite.

Why did you guys say not around Spring Valley/Valley View? No good?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM

81 posts, read 236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stony View Post
Thanks for the reply Momofdfw!!!!! Yes, you're right, out that way would be a happy medium, I just never liked that area. I don't know why, I just never have. I used to work out there years ago. It's decent, I just never liked Garland or Mesquite.

Why did you guys say not around Spring Valley/Valley View? No good?
Valley View area has gotten somewhat bad due to the number of shady apts. Same with the Alpha/Montfort or Spring Valley/Montfort/Preston Oaks area. Now if you have the means to buy somewhere around Hughes Lane (just East of Preston) that might be a winner. Someone referenced Brentfield Elem and James Bowie Elem a tad further North and that is good stuff too. Meandering Way area, North of Spring Valley could also be a wonderful option.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM

SMU is in the Park Cities area - about 6 miles south of those Far North Dallas schools I was talking about. Excellent schools in the Park Cities (Highland Park ISD). Bring your big checkbook. Great area though.

University of Texas at Dallas is in Richardson.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM

I know someone who moved to and then away from Hughes Lane. It feeds into one of the worst elementary schools in Richardson. That's why they moved, to get into either Prestonwood Elementary or Brentfield, I can't remember which.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas